Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Planning Eikaiwa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrongNeck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: No Planning Eikaiwa? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for an eikaiwa job where the lesson plans are already set for the teacher to use.

I know a lot of teachers don't like this style, but although I enjoy making lesson plans sometimes, I prefer to just walk into a class and teach with a text, not requiring much preparation, if any. (At least for now).

Anyway, what's the state of the various big chain and smaller eikaiwa these days?

Thanks for your help.
mc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEON and Westgate both have very structured lesson plans/templates for teachers to follow.
budgie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEON, GEOS, NOVA, EC, ECC, SHANE, BERLITZ, COCO: pretty much any large chain school has cookie-cutter lessons of varying quality that require very little or no prep. It's not really teaching though - it's basically just customer service. Or a scam. Would you like fries with your McEnglish?
StrongNeck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westgate sounds tempting in that I'd be teaching university students, yet there seem to be some very odd things about it. Apparently they charge you way too much rent for a crappy place, plus they even put a curfew on you as far as having others over at your place goes.

I've also heard that the Westgate schedule is unbearable - way too much work.

Cookie cutter eikaiwa sound good to me, but what does one poster mean by a "scam" though? Which of the big chains would be considered scams? And what's so wrong with customer service?
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scam for stuendents, I think. They get nothing much fom it and the teachers are not professionals and don't care either. I thonk thats what the poster meand. Cool
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmm....McEnglish
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily a scam to teach at a place with pre-made lessons. My experience 15 years ago working with GEOS is that you would yes maybe the first or second time round with a text use the lesson exactly. Then the 3rd time through you would add your own things or approach the activities much differently.

Some of the lesson books such as Prep 1 or Prep 2 actually had good teaching points for their private or small group classes.

The important thing is not to be a robot. If the company gives you room to maneuver, take what works and rework what doesn't work with your students.

I believe the original intention of these pre-made lessons was for Eikaiwa's to maximize the amount of contact hours between the native teaching staff and the students. For example, a manager could happily block out the whole day to give a native teacher 6 or 7 classes a day...

But, if you are teaching only a 2 or 3 classes a day as a norm at your work place (or less), you probably shouldn't be using pre-made lessons unless you really don't know what you are doing.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my lessons pre-packaged. What's the point in spending so much time making your own? For me, the key is to teach the required lessons and jet on outta there to enjoy some free time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: