Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hotel recommendations, upon arrival and during ILA course

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikola Tesla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Hotel recommendations, upon arrival and during ILA course Reply with quote

Hello,

I am scheduled for the ILA CELTA certification during the month of October 2012. I intend on taking the 4-week course and then looking for a job in HCMC. I have a two-part question regarding temporary accommodation in HCMC:

1) I am arriving at HCMC (SGN) airport at 1:00 (am) during the weekday. I will be carrying 3 bags of luggage. Thus, I am interested in finding a hotel within close proximity of SGN airport to easily check-in and stay overnight while I acclimate to the time change (e.g. an approximate total of 36 hours staying at the hotel). Do you know of any hotels where I can book in advance for these hours listed and will be available at 1am for check-in? I'm looking for relatively inexpensive hotels (i.e. $10-$19), but I'm willing to pay $20-$30 if needed.

2) During my course at ILA in the Pham Nhu Lao area, I would like to stay at a hotel within a range of $10-$20 per night. I know there are numerous hotels in this area at that rate. I know most hotels offer Wi-Fi, but in my recent travel experience, some have very weak signals. I am interested in know which ones have a very strong Wi-Fi signal, so that I may use it for my studies during the ILA course. Do you recommend any within the southwest area of Pham Ngu Lao Street (by ILA School)?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

-Todd
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: around the airport Reply with quote

I found that getting close to the airport means higher rates, plus not much selection til you get out of the close proximity. Whatever serves the tourist has a much higher likelihood of attempting to scam. If you are here for a while, I do not see much upside to being THAT close to the airport. Assuming you are paying for a taxi anyway, it might make sense to go ahead and close in on your destination. The traffic will be a lot lighter in the middle of the nite too, so you will not be losing time, and it won't take very long to get a lot closer to the center at that time of nite/day.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotel recommendations, upon arrival and during ILA cours Reply with quote

Nikola Tesla wrote:
...arriving at HCMC (SGN) airport at 1:00 (am)

From China, no doubt. You pay double or triple to arrive earlier.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just use Agoda.com or Booking.com to find what you're looking for. You can select if you want near the airport or in a specific district, and then sort by the price you want. It's usually cheaper than calling and booking directly.

You can also specify what time you will check in on the comments to make sure someone will be there for you. Although, if you're going for the cheaper hotels, they will probably forget about that.
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go straight to Pham Ngu Lao. At least then you'll have more food options and don't have to worry about relocating.

At that time of night it will be a 20 minute ride and shouldn't cost much more than 200k VND or $10. From the international arrivals, exit the terminal and turn right. At the end of the concourse you'll find a Vinasun taxi stand with a rep who will call a cab, if there's none there already.

I can recommend the Bizu hotel on De Tham street. I haven't stayed there, but friends have, and it's the sister hotel of the one in which RMIT University puts up new staff when they arrive.

http://bizuhotel.com/district-1

Don't pay attention to the prices quoted there. Agoda has rooms for $18-$22.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys realize that OP is over a year old right? Smile
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiyeuthitmeo wrote:
You guys realize that OP is over a year old right? Smile

But flights still arrive at 1am. Are you suggesting hotel info and advice can become obsolete within a year?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the $9-24/night list from ILA with the current lowest rates. They're all about a Km away from the ILA teacher training centre:

Bich Duyen: $28 | Address: 283/4 Pham Ngu Lao | 1 District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Ngoc Minh Hotel: $21 | Address: 283/11 Pham Ngu Lao street | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thanh Thuong Guesthouse: $15 | Address: 241 / 6 Pham Ngu Lao Street | Pham Ngu Lao Ward Dist 1, Ho Chi Minh City 84, Vietnam
Saigon Mini Hotel: $18 | Address: 102/1A Cong Quynh | District 1, Ho Chi Minh City 848, Vietnam
Hoang Phong Hotel: $21 | Address: 219/8A Pham Ngu Lao Street | district 1, Ho Chi Minh City 84, Vietnam
Saigon Sports 3 Hotel: $26 | Address: 175 / 21 Pham Ngu Lao Str,, Ho Chi Minh City 848, Vietnam
Long Guesthouse: $16 | Address: 219/7 Pham Ngu Lao | Dist. 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Vy Khanh Guesthouse: $20 | Address: 241/11/6 Pham Ngu Lao street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Lac Vien Hotel: $28 | Address: 28/12-14 Bui Vien St. | Pham Ngu Lao Ward, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: