Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifestyles in KL - I'll start
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Lifestyles in KL - I'll start Reply with quote

I am really surprised at people's reactions to a salary of 5k in KL as being good! It sounds really low to me. I am at an international school and it's true salaries are higher (I'm on 10k+), but where are those people on 5k living? And in what conditions/locations? I'm not being rude - I'm genuinely curious. I couldn't find somewhere to live for less than 3k (I pay more than this) with a 4 person family (3 bed + 1 maid's room). Perhaps you 5k-ers are free singletons?

My other half is at the British Council and getting at least 6k per month as he is part-time and his hours vary. No doubt we are very comfortable but I honestly don't know how we'd survive on anything less than 10k as a family, especially living in KL. Are teachers generally NOT in expat areas? They are significantly more expensive, but I didn't realise there were other options, as I was told security would be a massive issue, as would facilities such as shops etc. We eat local food and shop in local supermarkets, but there are some essentials which we can't avoid buying such as nappies and milk for the baby, not to mention some foods that we actually recognise which are hugely expensive here. We live in a condo with the usual facilities such as pool etc. but this doesn't feel massively extravagant and it's not fancy - in fact, quite old and rundown even.

I am really interested to hear about others' lifestyles here so I'll start:

We go out about once a fortnight (alcohol is super expensive and we're parents after all! There is local alcohol but I can't believe it's safe to drink - it's like rocket fuel and this comes from a former SangSom drinker so it's not that I'm particularly delicate...)
We have live in help (1.6k/month) as we are both working and need childcare for the baby
We had to buy a car as I work far out of KL and have a 40-min commute (20k buying outright - others take loans)
We eat local food like roti canai regularly (cost about 1-2RM)
We eat western-ish food fairly regularly (3-4 times a week - cost about 30-40RM total)
We shop at the market and local supermarkets with a little bit from expat supermarkets. Cook at home (weekly food bill around 250RM)
Education for eldest - thankfully free at my school, as I don't know how any teacher (even international school teachers) could afford the fees. Do some send their kids to local schools and, if so, please tell us of your experiences?

Anyone else willing to share?
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in KL back in 1996-2000, so the prices that I will quote are a little dated.

I was on RM2800 to start, and near RM4,000 when I left for Kuantan. Still, I had investment income from outside the country that helped especially with the initial setup expenses.

We rented a link house in PJ for RM1,300 (4 bedroom, 3 bath) for a family of 5. That same house probably still rents in the RM1300-1500 range; rents have not increased like purchase prices. (When in KL, I regularly check the newspaper rental adverts, so that range is still valid.)

We didn't own a car in KL; found it was easier for me to commute via motorcycle and wife to use taxis. She could walk to the store (10-15 minutes) and taxi back with the groceries. When we went out, taxis made more sense: no need to worry about parking, drop off directly in front, planned to leave before major exodus of other folks wanting taxis, and etc.

I still keep in touch with KL-based friends, and outside of having a PhD, a highly technical qualification, or an int'l school post, salaries still hover in the RM3k-6k range. This is because the private colleges can find fresh graduates to take those salaries as opposed to hiring more expensive expats.

Yes, there are exceptions; but most posters want to know the general range, not the exceptions.

Last edited by KayuJati on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all news to me - houses in PJ for such low rents! Was it relatively easy to get to know the neighbours.? No isolation problems socially?

I'm starting to see the great variation in salaries. It's mad, but perhaps the recent introduction of the 5k minimum will go someway to changing this, although I already know institutions who have found loopholes and grey areas...
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roamingteacher wrote:
This is all news to me - houses in PJ for such low rents! Was it relatively easy to get to know the neighbours.? No isolation problems socially?

I'm starting to see the great variation in salaries. It's mad, but perhaps the recent introduction of the 5k minimum will go someway to changing this, although I already know institutions who have found loopholes and grey areas...

In PJ, we made friends with our neighbors, both Malay and Chinese. I also had Tamil friends in the neighboring kampung. Now, 15 years later, we still get together when they come to the east coast and when we return to KL. When people move into a new housing area there is a window of opportunity, a short time period, when many in the neighborhood are keen on making new friends. Otherwise, they are back to their klan and work-based networks. I think it would be harder if you move into an already-established neighborhood. Still, I did the same in Kuantan and made friends of some neighbors.

I didn't know that there was a RM5k minimum salary in KL. Is that a gov't recommendation or dictate?
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5K is a new legal visa requirement as a salary for an international teacher brought to MY. I think it's nationwide, as anything else wouldn't make sense. The idea is that it raises standards in teaching and stops cowboys setting up and hiring for peanuts. But as I said, there are ways around it, not least to put down that a teacher earns 5k per month - but it's a grey area as to whether or not this 'month' is one of 12 in a year.

Contacting the British Council should give more clarification on this, as I can't find anything online.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roamingteacher wrote:
The 5K is a new legal visa requirement as a salary for an international teacher brought to MY.

Okay, I see. I emboldened the key phrase. If hired locally, then there is no requirement that they pay RM5k minimum. The school has to hire you from outside, which is what a lot of int'l schools do.

In discussions, I think that we must really differentiate between the British Council and International Schools on one side, and the local school system (i.e., private colleges) on the other side.

I was a local hire at a private college owned by the man who eventually bought out one of the large, well-known international schools. His son, CEO at the college, offered me a position at the high school for the same salary that I was on at the college (near RM4k). I wasn't interested since I was moving to the other side of the country for other reasons. But it made me think that what they were going to do was try to replace the RM8k-12k int'l hires with RM4k-6k local hires (whether Malaysian or not).
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I wasn't clear. It's a requirement to get the work permit, so when that is being renewed there has to be a written signed document from the school to say you are receiving at least 5k a month. I imagine it applies to any institution - local or international, but as I said, I don't know the ins and outs of it. The whole situation is as clear as mud, but while I know of schools circumventing this, I also know of individuals who have approached management with this info and had pay rises. The 5k could include housing allowances and EPF (I guess) so in reality the amount you take home could still be well below the actual stated 5k.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roamingteacher wrote:
Sorry - I wasn't clear. It's a requirement to get the work permit, so when that is being renewed there has to be a written signed document from the school to say you are receiving at least 5k a month. I imagine it applies to any institution - local or international, but as I said, I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Hmmm, this is new to me. Do you or anyone else in your circle have any web links regarding this requirement? I would be interested in seeing the rule or law.

My base salary has always been under RM5k, but with bonuses, EPF, and an 'elaun sara hidup' addition (everyone gets) it takes it over RM5k. They have never mentioned the need for them to pay a minimum salary in order to renew my work permit. But then, I am only one of two foreign lecturers at my college, and the other gentleman has a PhD and is required by the twinning partner. I, on the other hand, am still considered a local hire in that they follow the local hire salary scheme. I get paid no more nor no less than a Malaysian with similar qualifications and experience. Maybe I am being treated differently from the int'l school teachers.

It would be interesting and beneficial to do a salary survey around Malaysia in order to inform posters and have available to point people towards. Here is one such survey for local hire (Malaysian) teachers. You will note that none of these are over RM5k.

http://myjobstreet-beta.jobstreet.com/career-enhancer/basic-salary-report.php?param=Teacher||150||my

On the other hand, I have a relative working at an international school here on the east coast. She makes a base slightly over RM5k, with a housing allowance taking it just over RM6k. Again, I think that hires from overseas are treated differently from local hires.

Last edited by KayuJati on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the original post, I have no weblinks, but from the little I know (and it is only a little as it affected my other half but not me), it was only introduced this year. Most likely, I first heard of it through TES, but it was definitely confirmed by management when my OH went to work for the British Council in KL. That's why I suggest contacting them for clarification, if not the govt department for work permits...

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you find anything solid either way, it'd be great to know.
roamingteacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread. Perhaps the original poster has more info...

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/422279/5738694.aspx#5738694
Prog Rocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that there seems to be a 5K limit. I was recruited by an international school, locally, for only RM2K a month, no bonus or allowance. That was in 98/99 though. How things have changed!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International School is an empty term in modern East Asia. A great way for the owners to make a few quid though.

I can't imagine many well qualified teachers from the UK would consider moving to an 'international school' for 5k. It is small money, even for Malaysia.

I always advise ESL teachers to give Malaysia a miss unless working for the govt sponsored progs (fairly well paid) or the British Council. Although Malaysia is a wonderful country to visit, one can earn, save considerably more elsewhere is Asia and even S E Asia.

Save Malaysia for when the hair starts greying at the temples.
Prog Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
I can't imagine many well qualified teachers from the UK would consider moving to an 'international school' for 5k. It is small money, even for Malaysia.

I agree, althuogh in my case I had just got the CELTA, and applied locally (and 12 years ago!). As it was in Sabah - where there is far less work than on the peninsular - I was glad to get it.
Comparatively I thought Malaysia was quite good. Where is better job wise in SE Asia? (Apart from Singapore & Brunei)
Kana65

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
roamingteacher wrote:
Sorry - I wasn't clear. It's a requirement to get the work permit, so when that is being renewed there has to be a written signed document from the school to say you are receiving at least 5k a month. I imagine it applies to any institution - local or international, but as I said, I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Hmmm, this is new to me. Do you or anyone else in your circle have any web links regarding this requirement? I would be interested in seeing the rule or law.

My base salary has always been under RM5k, but with bonuses, EPF, and an 'elaun sara hidup' addition (everyone gets) it takes it over RM5k. They have never mentioned the need for them to pay a minimum salary in order to renew my work permit. But then, I am only one of two foreign lecturers at my college, and the other gentleman has a PhD and is required by the twinning partner. I, on the other hand, am still considered a local hire in that they follow the local hire salary scheme. I get paid no more nor no less than a Malaysian with similar qualifications and experience. Maybe I am being treated differently from the int'l school teachers.

It would be interesting and beneficial to do a salary survey around Malaysia in order to inform posters and have available to point people towards. Here is one such survey for local hire (Malaysian) teachers. You will note that none of these are over RM5k.

http://myjobstreet-beta.jobstreet.com/career-enhancer/basic-salary-report.php?param=Teacher||150||my

On the other hand, I have a relative working at an international school here on the east coast. She makes a base slightly over RM5k, with a housing allowance taking it just over RM6k. Again, I think that hires from overseas are treated differently from local hires.

I think Jati my experiences are similiar to yours....I am married to a local lived here since 2002 currently in Ipoh....My salary level has fluctuated depending on what typoe pof teaching I was doing....Currently teaching at the university level and my pay is good (Over 5k to be sure).

Funny but the lowest paid job I've had teaching in Malaysia was teaching at an international high school largely for the reason already explained-they treat you like a local since you live here, have a spouse visa etc.

In regards to the original question, I lived in Kl for five years and some of the time my salary was 5k or less and lived on it without much problem but it depends how you live I guess I don't drink or smoke and my wife and I don't have any children. I did have a car payment but it wasn't that much. I lived in three different aprtments over 5 1/2 years the highest rent being rm1200 a month the lowest being rm950. I love Malaysian food and eat that most of the time. I think it's cheaper to eat out rather than eat in here.

The thing I most like to do is travel but I found cheap fares to other Southeast Asian countries are easy to find in Malaysia

I also often taught at other institutions in the evening for extra pay and also did corporate tranings, tutitions the like....Plenty of work around KL for ex-pat English teachers

Obviously, there are two types of expats here....Those who come here to work and will eventually go back and those who stay here (usually due to marriage which is very difficult in terms of getting a PR but that's whole other post)
Nemodot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the original OP. When I was in Malaysia I did have some forum arguments over this but we all have different lifestyles.

However I have job interview coming up for an int school in KL and did a budget based on ok living and I reckon 6k after tax is required for me being single, eat local food which I love, but includes savings for hols and medical insurance/bills. Not an extravagant lifestyle. I'm allowing for having some medical insurance but I always like to put aside extra from experience.

As I won't be in the uk teachers pension scheme I need to invest 600 pounds a month to allow for that and have a student loans for my pgce which will be 170 pounds roughly (threshold is a lot lower in Malaysia). Along with tax that means 12k RM a month min. From what I have read that is about right for a good int school with qts and 2 years experience teaching science. Anyone got firmer info? I've had a look at recruitment agent databases as well that suggest 10-12k rm a month.

I am looking at at least 10k equivalent in Bangkok which is cheaper to live in (lived in kl and Bangkok before) and Malaysian schools seem to be tight with salaries.

One thing I would add re local wages used by some to justify low expat wages. The clerk at a government office may officially get paid 1,200 rm per month. But gets lots of "coffee money" to process forms. I went for an interview with an Arabic bank on e that wanted to expand in Malaysia. They told me the CEO would get 25k a month. I laughed as I know CEOs make 10 million a year at least. And it's tax free ......... A business friend told me 90% of his business costs were under the table. Even local teachers on 2,500k a month make extra by offering "tuition" (if you don't pay you don't pass). Also they get cheap loans for house, land and cars. I was married to a local.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: