Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

La Verte English school, Hiroshima

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: La Verte English school, Hiroshima Reply with quote

Be careful with these guys, they offered me a job and lied to me about applying for a work visa.

Good thing I was aggressive enough to get them to admit there is no work visa before booking that USD 1000 flight.

Their cover story was that they will apply, but I will have to accept the possibility of a tourist visa if the work visa is "delayed." When I demanded to see proof of the COE application, they withdrew the offer. LMAO
Valaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they are sending me an immigration receipt, saying they want to prove that they applied when they told me they did, but I was too argumentative and demanding, and that's why they cancelled the offer. Can anyone shed some light on WTF is going on?

Also, is it true that they cannot cancel the COE application (which they claiming they did)? So if they DID apply, in theory, I could even use it to get the visa? What are the chances of pulling this off?

I think they didn't apply though, exactly because they know they couldn't cancel it, so the receipt is fake.

Last edited by Valaki on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on softening your approach to employers.

From what you report, it sounds like you were just too aggressive with them.

Next time you're in a situation like this (if it indeed arises), gently insist. What you might think is gentle might not be gentle by Japanese standards though, so think at least three times before hitting "send".
Tom567

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came over on a tourist visa and figured it would not be a bad or risky idea to start working while my visa paperwork was being processed. I was very wrong.

My boss fired me after three weeks for suspect reasons and I could not find a job. My search efforts were complicated by not having a proper work visa.

In mid November she told me that she would try and get me the visa if I could find a school willing to employ me. She told me to have the school call her if I did find an employer, but I never found one and wondered two things:

1) Why would a school desire to hire me if the school I came to work for saw something they didn`t like?

2) Maybe you`ve read the book Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. The protagonist obtains " reccommendations " from an employer that he is told not to open. He eventually learns that the letter(s) inside the envelope(s) portray him unfavorably.

I kind of figured that something like this might happen to me with the woman and school I just got out of.

Get your work visa in your passport before you come. I am bumming money from relatives at the moment.
Valaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry this happened to you.

Now this is exactly why I'm thinking the way I handled "La Verte English school" was not absolutely outrageous and perfectly within the realm of common sense.

My request to them:

"Dear Mr. xxxx

You said you have submitted the COE application. Do you think you could scan a receipt or an acknowledgement from immigration? It would definitely alleviate some of the stress I am experiencing. "

Anyway, can I still go on their Certificate of Eligibility if they actually applied for it, after they cancelled their offer?
Tom567

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made the right move, but I am guessing that you worked really hard to find a job in a tight market and are starting to think that you should give the school the benefit of the doubt.

Your request for proof is reasonable and shouldn`t be taken the wrong way by a prospective employer, but it is apparent that the school in question does not respect the significant risk you are taking by coming over here on your own dime to work for them.

My guess is No with the COE, but the address below might clarify things.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/03.html

Remember: Badly wanting things to work does not mean they will.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verde has probably already canceled their COE application, so don't expect them to wait for it to be issued and send it to you. Move on.
Valaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it can be cancelled?

I'm asking because another employer was telling me I need to go on a tourist visa because once they apply for COE, they can't stop the process if I don't come.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valaki wrote:
So it can be cancelled?
Yes, by you or your prospective employer.

Quote:
I'm asking because another employer was telling me I need to go on a tourist visa
1. Warning. Your employer is that much in a hurry? Most jobs will begin in April.

2. Warning. To actually suggest that you do that could be a sign of problems, as some unscrupulous employers beckon people to come, work while the teacher thinks his visa is being processed, only to find out after he has overstayed that it wasn't, then gets fired and has no legal recourse because he is an overstayer. WHY does he want you to come as a tourist?

Quote:
because once they apply for COE, they can't stop the process if I don't come.
Completely false. They or you can stop it anytime.
Valaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet everyone has had enough of the La Verte saga, but I just wanted to add one last thing.

They had also threatened me that they will only apply for the COE if I book a flight to Japan before they do that (and most likely arrive on a tourist visa) - giving them the (illegal) safety and comfort my powerless servant status would've brought.

In turn I would've had to take on the risk of becoming involved in a tragic tale of exploitation such as Tom's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: