Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan with unpaid debt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinnn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Returning to Japan with unpaid debt Reply with quote

I just left Japan but I'm planning to return next July. I still have a working visa but although I paid off most of my municipal tax I still owe a lot to national health insurance (about 9 months worth). I'm guessing it wouldn't cause any problems for me coming back into the country but I would like to be sure. Under what conditions are people normally refused re-entry aside from criminal history in Japan or no re-entry permit (which I didn't need because I left after July 9th)? I'm expecting lots more debt when I return but I figured that if immigration even knew I had unpaid debt it wouldn't make any sense to prevent me from paying it by not letting me return to work in Japan.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't refuse you entry based on debt. If you move back to your old neighborhood, you might be asked to pay up, though. Not sure if the government will track your payments if you relocate from where you used to live.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
They won't refuse you entry based on debt. If you move back to your old neighborhood, you might be asked to pay up, though. Not sure if the government will track your payments if you relocate from where you used to live.

Yes, they probably will track you down and ask you to pay your taxes, especially since this is on the same visa as you had before.
Apsara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely that as soon as you register as a resident at your new ward/city office, they will notify your old ward or city office and you will receive a bill from them with fines for lateness- this is what happened to me when I left Japan years ago without settling the remaining payments (due after I left) on my city tax, but came back on the same visa 8 months later.

NHI premiums are a a kind of tax, collected by the local authority, so most likely the same thing will happen.
robinnn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Quite happy in my new job in Spain so I don`t expect to return to work in Japan. We�ll see. Nice to know I have the option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: