Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desire to teach in Japan, but 'criminal' history - advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Desire to teach in Japan, but 'criminal' history - advice? Reply with quote

in September of 2010 I got caught very slightly over the limit while driving, but enough to result in getting convicted and put on my record.

So that said, with a criminal record (especially DUI (DIC here), which I heard Japan doesn't take to kindly to), what are my options for working in Japan teaching English,or the like?

I'll list some other points if that also helps
-Majoring in Japanese and Chinese, should be finished mostly by the end of next year., if not definitely the year after Good grades too
-Long musical history, Violin, Piano, theory
-Turning 24 this month, if age matters in some cases
-Possibly heading on a volunteer trip to Japan regarding relations between NZ and Japan, also post disaster assistance, this December, but still waiting on outcome

I realize I'm out of the Jet program, so I'm wondering where that leaves me.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Desire to teach in Japan, but 'criminal' history - advic Reply with quote

captainbob wrote:
I realize I'm out of the Jet program, so I'm wondering where that leaves me.

Simple enough: any visa category requiring a background check and you're fresh out of luck. Everything else and you're fine.

Given the numbers coming out of NZ for JET and the numbers applying these days, the odds were going to be close to nil on that front anyway, so don't feel bad for that one.
captainbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, ok.

So does a general work visa come under that category?

Could I go with a program like Aeon or similar?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainbob wrote:
Could I go with a program like Aeon or similar?

Aeon is not a programme. It's a company. Their goal is profit. Like all the other companies out there. Read through the FAQs and stickies to get a handle on the who & what of Japan.

Can't help you out on the other questions, sorry, but I'm sure another bus will be along in 10 minutes or so to answer those questions.
captainbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, didn't realize how in depth they were.

I'm curious about entry to Japan, I read through the section in the immigration control and came across this point.

'Narcotics' which I assume my conviction does not come under? (I have no other charges, or anything like that).
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem for a standard work visa. All you need is a job offer, a degree, and a "clean" passport.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving under the influence (of alcohol, presumably) is a misdemeanor. No problem with immigration. You should be good to go for eikaiwas and ALT work.
captainbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Driving under the influence (of alcohol, presumably) is a misdemeanor. No problem with immigration. You should be good to go for eikaiwas and ALT work.

Oh? Here in New Zealand it's considered a criminal conviction, regardless of jail time or fine, but from Japan's point of view is it just a misdemeanor?

I assumed I'd have trouble finding a job anywhere even here which requires me to drive, but through Eikawa's I guess needing to drive is fairly unessessary?

Thanks for the feedback so far, I did a lot of google research prior to this but found no solid results.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Driving under the influence (of alcohol, presumably) is a misdemeanor. No problem with immigration.

As Captain said, not in NZ. Nor in Japan, for that matter. Why assume a US perspective about what the event was when they're asking about Japan and have said they're from NZ?!
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainbob wrote:
Oh? Here in New Zealand it's considered a criminal conviction, regardless of jail time or fine, but from Japan's point of view is it just a misdemeanor?

It's probably (socially) more serious in Japan than it is in NZ IMO. It's handled the same way in Japan as NZ as far as the legal process side of it is concerned, but the consequences are more serious - they come down on you harder, faster. Interestingly, they don't up the ante much for higher BA levels - slightly over is not handled much differently than completely trollied.
Inflames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:

It's probably (socially) more serious in Japan than it is in NZ IMO. It's handled the same way in Japan as NZ as far as the legal process side of it is concerned, but the consequences are more serious - they come down on you harder, faster. Interestingly, they don't up the ante much for higher BA levels - slightly over is not handled much differently than completely trollied.

I had an acquaintance from NZ who had, IIRC, 4 DUIs. At least one of those was responsible for him being hospitalized and the local newspaper publishing an article about it. Amazingly enough, his work (a car dealership) didn't fire him after they read the newspaper article.

OP: The hardest part will be finding someone to give you a visa. I highly doubt immigration asks for background checks for work visa applicants (at least they didn't when I got my visa many years ago).
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
Amazingly enough, his work (a car dealership) didn't fire him after they read the newspaper article.

In Japan or NZ? In NZ I wouldn't be surprised because they have much stronger labour laws - if it's not directly related to work then the business owner has no grounds for termination. Japan? Not so much. Or rather, the courts will accept a reason of "Their action affects the reputation of our company so they had to go." as valid. I think you get more variation in response in Japan though. It all depends on the employer.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainbob wrote:
Glenski wrote:

A misdemeanor is also a criminal conviction, just less serious than a felony.

So, are you saying your DUI is considered more serious in NZ? I'm sorry, but that was unclear to me.

As for how it is considered in Japan, apparently G Cthulhu knows it is not a misdemeanor. Fine, but the fact is, I have not heard of anyone being turned away for an offense such as that outside of Japan.

G Cthulhu, have you?
Inflames

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Inflames wrote:
Amazingly enough, his work (a car dealership) didn't fire him after they read the newspaper article.

In Japan or NZ?

In NZ. The thing was that he was a mechanic and he needed to drive cars as part of his job.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
captainbob wrote:
Glenski wrote:

A misdemeanor is also a criminal conviction, just less serious than a felony.

I'm still unclear how that is relevant to the discussion at hand of NZ/Japan legal systems.

Quote:

So, are you saying your DUI is considered more serious in NZ? I'm sorry, but that was unclear to me.

Misdemeanors don't exist in NZ law. It's either criminal or simply an infraction. DUI is criminal in NZ, as it is in Japan.

Actually, come to think of it, anyone know if it still counts as criminal in Japan if you've got one of the 'golden' licenses? It used to give the driver a single 'get out of jail' pass for a first offence. I wonder how that's handled under law though. Excellent: something to research for the afternoon! Smile

Quote:

As for how it is considered in Japan, apparently G Cthulhu knows it is not a misdemeanor. Fine, but the fact is, I have not heard of anyone being turned away for an offense such as that outside of Japan.

G Cthulhu, have you?

Falls under the moral character requirements for visas. I know of it happening in some instances for people applying for visas although how it became relevant during the process is not something I'm privy to. I suspect it was during the visa interview and the interview officer simply deciding they didn't like the person so they excised a bit of discretion and came up with something that could stick, but there's no way I could ever ask or be told how they managed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: