Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curtains, Clint
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Curtains, Clint Reply with quote

Poor old fart. This was just cruel.

Quote:
A few hours before he was set to go on, the Republican National Committee let slip that Clint Eastwood would be the �surprise speaker� at the Tampa convention. However, the appearance seems to have been a surprise to Eastwood as well. Over the course of a rambling, highly unusual speech the legendary actor and director railed against the war in Afghanistan, defended Hollywood politics and carried on a discussion with an invisible Barack Obama in a nearby chair.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/31/clint-eastwood-vs-chair-best-tweets-from-his-republican-convention-speech/#ixzz25FNz5PQh

TWEETS

Quote:
Noam Scheiber @noamscheiber 31 Aug 12 Great thing about the Eastwood routine: For millions of Americans, that will be their introduction to the GOP this yr. Led the network hour.
Jonathan Chait @jonathanchait @noamscheiber I mean, a rambling, uninformed old man is a pretty good way to understand the GOP.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/31/clint-eastwood-vs-chair-best-tweets-from-his-republican-convention-speech/#ixzz25FODM0Ib
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Stewart broke it down fairly well...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/01/1126671/-Jon-Stewart-brilliantly-deconstructs-Eastwood-speech-as-Republican-id
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the empty chair (Reminded me of that great novel "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison) upstaged Mitt.

It displayed more human qualities.

After hearing Randi Rhodes' first segment today, I wonder if maybe Clint was at the top of his game last night. He got the RNC to cheer for closing Guantanamo, got them to cheer for how bad an idea it was to invade Afghanistan (before Obama was even a Senator) and said attorneys shouldn't be POTUS (Mitt was an attorney). Maybe he knew exactly what he was doing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Here's Jon Stewart:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/01/in-a-friday-night-special-jon-stewart-celebrates-clint-eastwoods-fistful-of-awesome/

Regards,
John
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure Clint Eastwood must've had a masterplan to take Romney down by showing how he couldn't show up Obama. (You'd be hard pressed to call that a vicious attack on Obama or even a stinging rebuke...). And if bumbling 'support' is all that Romney can conjure up from Hollywood, (actors/directors being enormously important political beings), things don't bode well. I mean C E is no dummy.

C E: �Politicians are employees of ours so they�re just going to come around and beg for votes every few years and it�s the same old deal�. Nothing bumbling about that.

Last edited by artemisia on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch it here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/fri-august-31-2012/rnc-2012---the-road-to-jeb-bush-2016---a-fistful-of-awesome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Actually, the empty chair (Reminded me of that great novel "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison) upstaged Mitt.

They might as well put an empty chair on the ballot against ROmney. Empty chair wins the election easily.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Curtains, Clint Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Quote:
A few hours before he was set to go on, the Republican National Committee let slip that Clint Eastwood would be the �surprise speaker� at the Tampa convention. However, the appearance seems to have been a surprise to Eastwood as well. Over the course of a rambling, highly unusual speech the legendary actor and director railed against the war in Afghanistan, defended Hollywood politics and carried on a discussion with an invisible Barack Obama in a nearby chair.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/31/clint-eastwood-vs-chair-best-tweets-from-his-republican-convention-speech/#ixzz25FNz5PQh

TWEETS

Quote:
Noam Scheiber @noamscheiber 31 Aug 12 Great thing about the Eastwood routine: For millions of Americans, that will be their introduction to the GOP this yr. Led the network hour.
Jonathan Chait @jonathanchait @noamscheiber I mean, a rambling, uninformed old man is a pretty good way to understand the GOP.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/31/clint-eastwood-vs-chair-best-tweets-from-his-republican-convention-speech/#ixzz25FODM0Ib

No doubt but that is the way the left leaning liberals are unsuccessfully attempting to spin Clint's speech.

The reality is Clint brought down the house and some of his words from that speech will most certainly appear in GOP ads for the remainder of the race along with parts of the video where Clint landed some well thrown punches.

I'll go so far as to say the speech may very well have a significant impact on many voters including undecided ones that feel the "old fart" did rather well in what he did and said.

The chair was not incidental in the scheme of things, as was the fact it was empty. Johnslat's literary reference was the same thought I had. My guess is Clint thought of it before he said and did what he said and did.

The election could very well be decided by Clint's speech and is the highlight of an otherwise less than exciting run to that house at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Finally, Clint knew exactly what he was saying and why he was saying it and how he was saying it. This is one of the major factors why it came across as well as it did.

So go ahead and make my day and give me some more of that liberal group think y'all love so much. Wink
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Curtains, Clint Reply with quote

btsmrtfan wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Quote:

TWEETS

Quote:

No doubt but that is the way the left leaning liberals are unsuccessfully attempting to spin Clint's speech.

The reality is Clint brought down the house and some of his words from that speech will most certainly appear in GOP ads for the remainder of the race along with parts of the video where Clint landed some well thrown punches.

I'll go so far as to say the speech may very well have a significant impact on many voters including undecided ones that feel the "old fart" did rather well in what he did and said.

The chair was not incidental in the scheme of things, as was the fact it was empty. Johnslat's literary reference was the same thought I had. My guess is Clint thought of it before he said and did what he said and did.

The election could very well be decided by Clint's speech and is the highlight of an otherwise less than exciting run to that house at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Finally, Clint knew exactly what he was saying and why he was saying it and how he was saying it. This is one of the major factors why it came across as well as it did.

So go ahead and make my day and give me some more of that liberal group think y'all love so much. Wink

I think it doesnt really matter waht the Man with No Name Wink said at the convention because just being there made their day! Wink I think some of the weirder things he said will be easily fogetten like the bazaar claim that Obaam started the Afghanistan war Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After hearing Randi Rhodes' first segment today, I wonder if maybe Clint was at the top of his game last night. He got the RNC to cheer for closing Guantanamo, got them to cheer for how bad an idea it was to invade Afghanistan (before Obama was even a Senator) and said attorneys shouldn't be POTUS (Mitt was an attorney). Maybe he knew exactly what he was doing.

Quote:
was pretty sure Clint Eastwood must've had a masterplan to take Romney down by showing how he couldn't show up Obama. (You'd be hard pressed to call that a vicious attack on Obama or even a stinging rebuke...). And if bumbling 'support' is all that Romney can conjure up from Hollywood, (actors/directors being enormously important political beings), things don't bode well. I mean C E is no dummy.

C E: �Politicians are employees of ours so they�re just going to come around and beg for votes every few years and it�s the same old deal�. Nothing bumbling about that.

I hope that Johnslat and artemesia are correct; if he was genuinely trying to help the Republican cause, that's just too sad.

The vision of an angry old white guy arguing mostly incoherently with invisible Barack Obama was just far too apt a representation of the Republican Party.
disraeli123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Clint is today what John Wayne was 2 generations ago laugh.. Reply with quote

Clint Eastwood is an American icon just like the Duke John Wayne was. You lefties can laugh all you want the majority of Americans who saw the empty chair bit thought it was "clever" and was a metaphor for how Obama disregared the public once he was in office see Rasmussen poll 9/10/12 66% to 30% in favor of Eastwood and this performance. You see it's not about the bit, but about an out of touch president and how Clint portrayed him.
biliana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was brilliant!

Anyone who thinks otherwise is focused too much on politics and has lost all sense of reality.

Why do you think the world is the way it is?

I think it's because the uneducated masses have no sense of the reality of things. They follow politicians, they listen to their words, they then go and vote.

You can see the appeal of George Bush and Tony Blair when you follow political threads of forums.

And we're educated?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will admit that Eastwood was more entertaining than anyone else:

"A recent poll from the Pew Research Center found that not only did fewer people watch this year�s Republican National Convention than in 2008, but those that did were more impressed by 82-year-old Oscar winner Clint Eastwood than they were by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. According to the poll, 20 percent of viewers rated Eastwood�s bizarre speech with an empty chair as the highlight of the RNC, compared to just 17 percent that named Romney�s acceptance speech and 9 percent for Paul Ryan."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468904013140057&set=a.115430815154047.11644.106312466065882&type=1&relevant_count=1

But then, the clowns are usually the most popular act at the circus Very Happy.

Personally, I thought it had a kind of terrible fascination, kind of like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

Love his movies, though.

Regards,
John
biliana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Well, I will admit that Eastwood was more entertaining than anyone else:

"A recent poll from the Pew Research Center found that not only did fewer people watch this year�s Republican National Convention than in 2008, but those that did were more impressed by 82-year-old Oscar winner Clint Eastwood than they were by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. According to the poll, 20 percent of viewers rated Eastwood�s bizarre speech with an empty chair as the highlight of the RNC, compared to just 17 percent that named Romney�s acceptance speech and 9 percent for Paul Ryan."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468904013140057&set=a.115430815154047.11644.106312466065882&type=1&relevant_count=1

But then, the clowns are usually the most popular act at the circus Very Happy.

Personally, I thought it had a kind of terrible fascination, kind of like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

Love his movies, though.

Regards,
John

Speaks volumes.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An elderly rich white man talking to his own stool

If that isn't the perfect image of today's Republican Party, I don't know what is.

At the conclusion of both conventions, it was clear that the RNC had provided absolutely no boost in the polls to Romney/Ryan -- and that is the entire point of a political convention in the year 2012.

Posters who keep citing the Rasmussen poll and ignoring other polls are simply deluding themselves. Even the Faux News poll showed Obama with the lead following the conventions. The Faux News poll showed that the president has a significant advantage on most issues and candidate traits:
    Voters trust Obama more than Romney on foreign policy (+15 points), education (+14 points), Medicare (+11 points), health care (+9 points) and terrorism (+8 points).

The candidates are rated about evenly when voters are asked who they trust more to handle immigration (Obama +4 points), taxes (Obama +3 points), making the country a better place to live (Obama +2 points) and helping small businesses (Romney +2 points).

Slightly more voters think Obama (45 percent) has a �clear plan� for improving the economy than say the same of Romney (42 percent).

On personal qualities, voters think Obama is better described than Romney as being honest (+11 points), being a steady leader (+10 points) and having the right experience (+7 points).
If that's FOX, then I think the election is over. Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Henry_Cowell,

The ONLY thing I worry about now is overconfidence. There are still 51 days to go, and anything can happen. Then there are the debates, and although I think that Obama will come out on top on those (and Biden, as well - I mean, a duplicitous, boring policy wonk versus a folksy grandfather type - come on) as the great Yogi Berra once put it:

It ain't over till it's over."

I mean, the Cardinals beat the Pats and the Panthers whopped the Saints today.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: