Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviews in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mushroomyakuza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Interviews in the UK Reply with quote

Hi everyone

So, I have an interview coming up this week for an EFL job at a language school in London. I'm trying to prepare for it, but I'm struggling to think as to how.

When I went for an interview abroad, it was almost beyond belief how few questions I was asked and the ease I had in answering them. I got the job no problem and lived abroad for two years teaching there.

But prior to this job, I worked in an English school in London just after getting my TEFL certificate. I went through many interviews and invariably didn't hear anything back from a lot of places before finally landing one job for a few months before leaving to go abroad.

As far as I can recall, these interviews were quite tough, throwing a lot of curveball questions I hadn't expected. But now that I try to recall them, I find myself failing and anxious over the kinds of questions I'm likely to get at the interview. I really want (no, need) this job. I want to be on top of my game.

Perhaps it's in my mind, but I am under the distinct impression that interviews - and EFL jobs generally for that matter - are much harder and of a higher standard in the UK, and sadly for less pay. Be that as it may, I would greatly appreciate anyone being able to offer any advice at all on what to expect at the interview, including the kinds of questions I'm likely to be asked.

Just trying to be as prepared as I can be. Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If most of your experience is abroad, in a country where English is not the primary language, I'd expect some questions about how you approach the differences between a classroom of students who all speak the same first language, and a mixed-L1 classroom like you are likely to encounter in the UK.

It's easier in some ways, because the students will be more likely to need to use English to communicate with each other (less chatter in first language, etc). It's also easier as regards the fact that your students will have daily motivation in real life to use the language for a wide range of everyday functions.

It's more difficult in the sense that the patterns of errors and accents will all be different. There are also ways in which a mix of cultures in one room can impact a class/course. The whole situation requires a higher level of awareness and sensitivity on the part of an instructor.

Depending where you taught before, you may also be facing a higher degree of 'students as clients' where it's more or less important that the students like you on a more personal level and enjoy your lessons in addition to finding them productive. This can be a tough balance to find.

I'll be interested what others add on this....
Dangermouse69

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic here, but if anyone living outside the UK is successful at the application stage and is invited for an interview in the UK, refuse unless the company is willing to fund your travel at the very least (you'll also probably have to incur accommodation and lost-earnings costs). This might be blindingly obvious to some people, but there must be some schmoes out there who travel to London on their own dollar, go through the interview and realise they've just spunked a load of money when they're told they don't get the job.

Some of these companies who see themselves as more prestige and therefore demand a face-to-face interview might pay a bit more than others, but if this is a short-term job, even if you're successful, the extra money you might earn might only just offset the cost of going to the interview.

Skype was invented for a reason.
Andre 3000

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, here are some of the questions that I've been asked in the past:

'What's the difference between say/tell?'
'How do we use the present simple/continuous?'
'How would you make the distinction between the present perfect/past simple?'
'What would you teach to Upper-Int students?'
'How do you approach listening activities?'

And the old favourite 'Can you tell me about your most successful lesson?'
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many EFL companies pay travel expenses. I've been to a few in my time and on the whole, they don't pay. Once I went for a job in Kuwait and they said they were going to pay travel expenses but then they didn't. Only schools pay travel expenses in my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: