Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buraimi & ITES - ELS Learn from my mistakes!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packroyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FarGone wrote:
packroyd:

The recruiter who you named is the slug who hired me to University of Buraimi, without a hint that my contract was, actually, held through ELS/ITES. (We were told in May of this year that said recruiter is "no longer the recruiter for ELS/ITES, but has been "named Academic Director." If he is still recruiting to ELS/ITES, we were lied to yet again.)

You are fortunate to not be there. I know La Reve personally, saw what she was put through (and she saw what I went through). Just don't.

ho ho,

FarGone

Hmmmm HE (MOD edit for name) calls himself Academic Director - seemed a very decent sort until the last couple of e-mails. Seems I'm even more stupid than I thought. Embarassed
FarGone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not stupid; just naive.

No one expects to be lied to/conned even prior to landing in Oman...yet such is the way it is with ELS/ITES. The "humans" who run that show are greedy, remorseless and unclean in intent.
packroyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Learn from my mistake Reply with quote

packroyd wrote:
La Reve wrote:
I have two court cases with ITES-ELS and the University of Buraimi.

Rumor is it that the ITES-ELS Director of the Foundation Program (there are two programs: one with ELS, the other with the University) was being considered to be let go because he borrowed money from teachers as well as banks in town. Thus, if ITES-ELS fired him, the company would have been responsible for his bank debts, but would be free to hire you.

Additonally, the U of Buraimi Director of the Foundation Program was found guilty of sexual harassment and sentenced to 15 days in jail and a fine of 500 rials. This court finding was September 16th and the offical report just released. October 2nd.

I think his and my lawyers were going to have the U of Buraimi Director file an appeal and not tell me, and thus the case would be dismissed, and he would be able to keep his position in Oman. And thus you would not be hired for this position.

However, I just filed an appeal, requesting the original 2,700 Omani Rial that this Director was willing to give me, provided I also allowed him to put me in jail should I be 'discovered' having talked about the case to anyone in Oman. Since he already had two administators lie for him, I refused to sign with that paragraph in it.

So the appeal is in late December. Maybe the U of B will contact you then.

If you were hired for the ITES-ELS position, be grateful you are not there. Working with the teachers, administrators and students, as well as the Steering Committe and Board of Directors of the University of Buraimi would have been impossible. Too many demands, too many misperceptions, too many lies.

I have my court case with ITES-ELS re arbitrary dismissal this coming Sunday.

Mark (MOD edit for name) of ITES was at pains to point out to me that ITES was "different" from ELS - I asked specifically about the complaints in "Avoid University of Buraimi" - and that he was "trying to redress 6 million things at once". I was indeed worried about being handed the directorship as a "poisoned chalice" - but perhaps naively I thought I would be able to "make a difference". Perhaps I WAS lucky to escape?

I forgot my manners - Thank you for a most informative explanation yet that appears to explain to a great degree the odd spectrum of responses I received from Mark from Oman. Your explanation appears to show why my appointment was so "urgent" - when they discovered the misdemeanors, and the backing off as the legal issues emerged. I'm most grateful Peter
La Reve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Learn from my mistakes Reply with quote

Kinda strange, a man convicted of sexual harassment and sentenced to two weeks in jail plus a 500 rial fine is the actual working head of the Foundation program at the University of Buraimi.

Dec. 28th is the appeal. I want more than 500 rials, and he doesn't have to go to jail like Sadeem Hussein sent his father.

Either he settles with me before the court hearing or he is found guilty again, fined more, and then, supposedly, dismissed from the University of Buraimi. With a sexual harassment guilty finding, he is suppose to not be hired by anyone in the Gulf. But since the case is on appeal, I guess it's ok he plays leader to all the compliant English teachers there.

ELS does not bargain in good faith. Their offer before the last court date was even less than the full month salary for June which I worked and plane ticket out. The court will hand down its decision within a few days, and I'm sure ELS will appeal, and hope I do not find out the court date so the case will be dismissed.

Too bad real life isn't like LAW & ORDER and finished in less than an hour....

Another teacher did not get his last salary.... I can't wait 'til next June or July when all the ruckus starts again, unless someone needs medical attention and the worst insurance provider in Oman hired by ELS says, "No, you're not covered. You pay for it yourself."

Yes, I'm bitter. I'm out $5,000 US dollars for the cataract eye surgery and at least $7,000 for my final pay. Then there's the $7,000 for sexual harassment.

And since I'm older and unable to be hired in many countries, the U of Buraimi and ELS's immoral, unethical and illegal behavior towards me is a severe financial loss.

It can happen to you....
camelman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very confused. Is this complaint about the DoS for ELS or the DoS for university foundation program?
packroyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelman wrote:
I'm very confused. Is this complaint about the DoS for ELS or the DoS for university foundation program?

I hope someone corrects me if I'm mistaken. My guess is that this row is about the DoS recruited by ITES [sister company of ELS] There's an ITES side of the University of Buraimi's Foundation English programme - apparently there are two parallel programmes - one more recently founded & run by the University - and the other the original run by ITES/ELS. My reason for thinking this is partly because I got an e-mail from a head of ELS Oman defending the recruiter M.S. Copy available on request. It's rather libellous.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: