Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Employers' attitudes to reputable distance degrees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenbranigan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Employers' attitudes to reputable distance degrees Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if anyone has hard facts on the acceptability of distance degrees in the region?

I�ve been applying for posts, mostly in Saudi Arabia, though some in Qatar and UAE over the past month or so. I have a BA (Business Studies) and MA (Education with Linguistics), both from the Open University in the UK which has a superb reputation in Europe, but based on my applications I�m beginning to think the distance aspect of my degrees is what is leading to lack of results; though no one has openly stated so.
I have seven years� teaching experience in Europe, superb references and a CELTA which I would imagine should make me employable.

I�ve read various posts about �some� places not accepting online/distance degrees. Does anyone have any facts that are more substantive? My degrees were very hard won and I don�t believe I am any worse of a teacher because I studied that way, quite the opposite in fact. So it would be sad if it turned out to be the case. It is not all bad news though; I did have one offer which depended on the Saudi side�s acceptance which I decided not to follow through as I was looking for something better. Is it possible they may have overlooked the �distance� problem, or might it have been acceptable to them? I�m just wondering now if that particular offer was an exception.

Feeling rather confused at this stage and wondering if my moving to the Middle East plans are not going to get off the ground. Any information or advice is really appreciated.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your BA was also done online?

I would say that MA in TESOL would be accepted from an online organization, but the BA should be done on campus.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Vashdown; the roadblocks you're dealing with may be because both your degrees were completed via distance learning. I'd guess that employers (anywhere) don't have an issue with one degree being obtained online, but two degrees via distance learning tend to raise an eyebrow.

I don't know about Qatar, but for Saudi jobs, focus on private institutes/universities; they offer some flexibility in terms of the qualifications they accept. You can get a list of Saudi unis by doing a wiki search. Also, look at your experience and how you present it. You didn't state what your specific teaching experience has been, but generally, employers in the region want to see experience in academic writing, curriculum design, test creation, ESP, etc. If employers see you have any of these skills as experience or subjects for your MA program, you're more likely to get a second look while the focus is taken off of how you got your education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: