Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current visa Situation / Coming in on a tourist visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j3ssm3ss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Current visa Situation / Coming in on a tourist visa Reply with quote

Hi there,

I had a bit of a trawl through the board to find out about visa options and on page 4 found this comment from Sachadroogie and gave up my search!

"A sticky would be out-of-date in less than six-months! Therein lies the problem of answering your question. "

Me and my boyfriend have been job hunting a while now (bad time of year I know) and would ideally love to find work in St Petersburg. We've had no luck so far and our current contracts have ended, so we were wondering whether it might be best just to come over for a holiday intitially and visit some schools once there. We have a friend living in St P who can sort out a visa invite. We both have a DELTA, several years' experience and an MA in my boyfriends case.

Is it possible to come over on a tourist visa initially then have it converted to a work visa once there if we find work? Would it be too much of a gamble, and would we be leaving ourselves open to exploitation from schools unwilling to pay for visas etc?

We want a decent job in a decent school and don't really want to apply for 'McSchools' for the sake of getting there, after having just paid for and gone through the DELTA.
Foma87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not possible to have tourist visas "converted" into a work visa; you'd have to get a new invite from a company and apply again. You could get a 3-month business visa and look for work while in SPB and apply for a new one in Vilnius when it expires and reenter right after. Many do this who are in the process of getting residency, looking for work, heck, even working, so they don't have to leave the country for longer than a couple days (that is, every three months) -- maybe they have family, clients, business, whatever. This is the route I'd recommend short-term. Feel free to write me if you want specifics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: