Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum voyeurs - say hello! Introduce yourselves!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Given other income, I'm thinking I'd be able to live pretty comfortably on that thousand a month and dip up some savings when the time for travel rolls around. My preferences are IELTS/TOEFL preps, business English, academic prep and working the occasional conversation groups, maybe 12 sessions a week?

How much would the "average" individual pay for a couple of 80 minute lessons a week of Intermediate or higher? Then what about a small group setup of say no more than 4 students working on IELTS prep?

That's kind of like asking 'how deep is a hole'?

Some people charge as little as 30zl/60 min. I know some teachers who command 120zl/hr (and more) for business and legal Eng.

The best way is to start off charging a reasonable rate - in Warsaw let's say 60zl/60 min. Then, as word of mouth spreads that you're good and as your schedule fills up, you can ratchet it up, especially if the client's loaded.

But the bottom line is that privates, whatever the rate, are flaky and cancellations are a constant problem.

You might be better off taking a few hours from a reputable school if reliability is a concern.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Shake. You would probably be best off taking some hours at a school at first . I would totally not feel unscrupulous eventually getting your students from the school to just take private lessons with you (cut out the middleman). You can charge a bit less than the school, still should be around 100 zl for 60 min. and everyone wins Smile of course you have to prove yourself to be a decent teacher first.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, maybe an opening rate in a place like Gdansk for one-on-one would be what? 70-80 ZL/hour?

What about an IELTS Prep group of four? 40/hour?

A grouped level class at 30 or so?

Are book wholesalers accessible in Poland's medium-sized cities?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks, if you're able to fill a schedule charging 80zl/60 min in Gdansk my hat goes off to you.

I'd start lower, say 50zl/60 min. You can charge more in Warsaw than you can in other Polish cities.

Try allegro.pl for books.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I agree. The 100 zl. figure, unless you have some super qualificationz or skillz, is something you have to work up to a bit. You have to find the rich people first. If you're just going for people with a little extra money the 50-60 zl. mark is pretty good. You could factor in travel if you would like and maybe mark it up a bit.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not planning on travel. I am thinking coming to me.

That's why I am asking about rates in different areas. Not sure where 100zl/hour came from unless you are talking about the aggregate from a group class. '

Again though, that';s why I keep asking to try to home on on some approximate planning numbers.

Thanks for the info, it's coming together a bit more every day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scottie1113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50zl for an hour is the going rate in Gdansk. Of course, there are a few teachers who charge less and some who charge more. My private lessons are held in my flat except for one. On Sunday my student picks me and takes me back to his flat where we have a lesson, the his wife cooks us dinner. It's a little different, but they're like my Polish family.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113's been in Gdansk since '07, so he should know.

How many privates have you got now Scott? Are they reliable?
scottie1113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

At the moment, only four. I don't advertise; they're all referrals.

Reliable? Yes. One has been coming for 3 1/2 years, the couple I mentioned above have been with me for two years, and the newest one has cancelled once in four months. Of course there are cancellations. Life happens. People get sick, work intervenes-that sort of thing. I don't ask for payment in advance for x amount of lessons, nor do I charge for cancellations.

You know my policy. Advance notification, even on the day of the lesson, is fine. A no show on the day of the lesson with no explanation means our lessons are finito. It has never happened in five years. That's why I like referrals.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

At the moment, only four. I don't advertise; they're all referrals.

Reliable? Yes. One has been coming for 3 1/2 years, the couple I mentioned above have been with me for two years, and the newest one has cancelled once in four months. Of course there are cancellations. Life happens. People get sick, work intervenes-that sort of thing. I don't ask for payment in advance for x amount of lessons, nor do I charge for cancellations.

You know my policy. Advance notification, even on the day of the lesson, is fine. A no show on the day of the lesson with no explanation means our lessons are finito. It has never happened in five years. That's why I like referrals.

That's basically the way I work too. Thanks for the info. I might be seeing you in the not-too-distant future.
Irishdave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all!

I have been reading the Poland forums silently when I returned from Warsaw (from holiday) because I am seriously considering moving there permanently.

The Czech Republic is also another place I have been considering.

I will qualify, providing I work my bum off with a CELTA by the 30th of November and then because the British Council are giving me a nice grant, I have to attend a training day of theirs.

Picking up new languages is easy for me, so settling in somewhere isn't a problem, but 3,000 zloty...hmmmmm Razz
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Long time reader, first time posting. I'd been lurking about for a handful of years now, with a full family and a teaching career [yes, a career] not much time for silly arguments. It's quite entertaining to read some of the posts from time to time, they're definitely an interesting addition to some of my conversation classes.

Nice to make your acquaintance
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yours.

These pissing matches wear me out too.
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say wear me out, it's a matter of teacher vs. backpacker. A teacher is a teacher and that's his/her career choice and a backpacker will never get that.
I do feel bad for newbies who are searching for some sensible advice from those of us who'd been doing this for a while and stumble across this forum. There are definitely some good and informative posts here, those however are far and few.
Anyone searching for real advice should just PM anyone on here who actually makes sense and still lives here.
jahalf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here (just in case you couldn't tell from the post count, or lack thereof).

I am under the impression that since Poland is an EU member then only Brits or EU citizens would be eligible for work there. I am an American who wants to be as close to the EU as possible without being illegal (too old for jail, srsly).

Is this the case? Or would I actually have a chance at getting work there?

Incidentally I have a BA in Russian with a minor in German, so languages are my "thing".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: