Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL cert for Thailand:Is it necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: TEFL cert for Thailand:Is it necessary? Reply with quote

I am considering returning to Thailand to teach. I have several degrees in history and many years of EFL teaching as well as a couple of years of managerial experience. I taught at AUA years ago(1999-2002) and thought it was a good learning experience.
In recent years the TEFL certificate has become-for better or worse-an increasingly important credential. The CELTA, in particular, is held in high regard by many. If I return, I'd like to find a well-paying teaching job(A good friend says he makes 100,000 baht per month teaching in BKK.) at an international school or university. One day, I may even go into academic management in the Land of Smiles.
Should I begin a return trip there by taking a certificate course?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: TEFL cert for Thailand:Is it necessary? Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
I am considering returning to Thailand to teach. I have several degrees in history and many years of EFL teaching as well as a couple of years of managerial experience. I taught at AUA years ago(1999-2002) and thought it was a good learning experience.

In recent years the TEFL certificate has become-for better or worse-an increasingly important credential. The CELTA, in particular, is held in high regard by many. If I return, I'd like to find a well-paying teaching job(A good friend says he makes 100,000 baht per month teaching in BKK.) at an international school or university. One day, I may even go into academic management in the Land of Smiles.
Should I begin a return trip there by taking a certificate course?

A TEFL certificate won't get you any farther than the degree(s) you already hold.

If you want to work in a proper "international" school (one with actual international accreditation rather than just International in the name) you will need a teachers license from your home country and a couple of years post licensure experience.

Straight off the plane = 35k thb.
Get a reputation as a good teacher, build your network of contacts and then you can seriously look at 60k+.

flow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree and some quality entertainment skills and you're good to go. Can't entertain your students "Chris Tucker style"? Then better go elswhere Very Happy Most REAL TEFL/TESOL qualified teachers flop in Thailand, sadly Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: