Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

students at HCT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin There

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have your heart in the right place and want to teach these guys. Give it your best shot. At least you can say you tried. Their coursebooks will probably bore them to tears so try and find lessons (or better, make your own) on the things they are interested in or know well. Make a lesson on Baniyas instead of the one in the book on the place they've never heard of - I'm sure they'd love that. Cars, jet-skiing around Abu Dhabi, life as a policeman in the UAE... If that doesn't work, then remember that whatever you do, even the lowest of your students will start on double (or more) your salary when they graduate - the college makes it very hard for them not to graduate. Remember that your input and effort isn't the key component here - stats and image for the college will see the students through.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, but don't go too far off task/topic for too long. They do have to "pass" their exams. Laughing

MEB Cool
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught in the UAE and now in KSA...In my personal experience, I found the students (in same age bracket 18-25) in KSA to be much better behaved and much more serious about their studies than the students in the UAE.
It didn't matter what I did in the UAE, the students still acted like immature wankers! The students in KSA may not be perfect, but at least the majority do make some effort to control their behavior in class and are 100% more respectful. However, there is the obvious trade off between countries Rolling Eyes

when you've had enough of their nonsense in UAE, try KSA! Although social life may not be as "grand" as the UAE, your work life will be much easier- less stressful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: