Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Immigration Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_nmi_rutledge wrote:
alright, that seems reasonable. as per previous sage advice, i have asked Sr. Awesome to go to his local INM office. not sure when he is going to have the time to start this, but i am going to leave this part of the puzzle mostly in his hands for now and will ask him to start as soon as possible. maybe that way we can figure out the hurdles sooner rather than later.

muchas gracias!

There is not going to be anything he can do until you are in the country, except get the forms and list of requirements. To register a Union Libre, you'll both need to go to the Delegaci�n where one of you lives. He might go and ask what the requirements are for you, as a non Mexican. I do know that when I went along to translate for my former boss and his woman friend, that they only asked for his FM2, and both of their passports. Neither of them are Mexican, though, so it might be different in your case, so it would be good to have him ask, if you decide to go that route, so you can bring along any paperwork you might need. I do know that we were in and out in less than 2 hours, certificate in hand.
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! 2 hours?!!!!! and i was thinking weeks and months and eternities! that is great to hear.

and sorry i wasn't clear - i meant i was going to have him go to investigate our options (union libre v matrimonio) and make sure we know what we need. but dang, if it's that fast, i should have plenty of time to do that if he just simply can't do it. well, unless i need docs i don't bring when i come. maybe he won't have a problem going.

gracias amigo! Very Happy
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get an apostilled copy of your birth certificate. You will need that to get married. And You'll probably need to have it translated by a perito traductor. (and official government sanctioned translator) I did translate a birth certificate for a wedding last year but it was in a tiny place in the Oaxacan mountains with no perito for miles and miles.
That is for the civil registry office, not INM.
You will need to get permission from INM to get married but that's not hard to get. Everyone I know who's gotten married here (quite a few actually) were already on their own FM3 or FM2 which already gave them permission to work. It's my understanding that if you are on a tourist visa and you marry a Mexican they will give you permission to stay in Mexico--but that doesn't include the right to work. So you have to ADD that in as well.

BUT all that was under the old system. Best to get the word straight from the INM office you will be dealing with as to what they want and what you get now.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_nmi_rutledge wrote:

gracias amigo! Very Happy

Thanks for the sex change operation! I always wanted to be a man. NOT!!!
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF - yeah, i am trying to keep a running list of all things that will need an apostille. I haven't started reading those threads yet so that i understand that process well before going. i know when i headed to ecuador i ran in to some stuff about that, but i didn't need that for what i was doing, so it's all pretty new to me. as i said, i'll look in those threads for the answers i need, but right off the bat i am wondering if i get that done here before they are translated or there after translation.

also, thanks for pointing out the civil registry stuff. i had not considered separate agencies for separate stuff. Sr. Awesome is going to have to run down a lot of info before i get there. i just don't want to get there and find i needed additional docs.

[side note: i hope being in mexico an extended period of time will teach me to chill out. can you see how i am trying to cover everything i can now so there are no surprises later? i think it might have been said once or twice that i am a control freak. but only by my children, and what do they know, right? Rolling Eyes ]

BADB!!!!!!!!!! mil disculpas AMIGA! i guess i saw the face and just assumed. i hope no offense was taken. Embarassed
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apostille has to be done in before it's translated because it will be issued by the Secretary of State of the State that issued the birth certificate. The translation--if it needs to be done by a perito traductor will have to be done here. Two of our teachers got married last year, one needed an offical translation and one did not. The one who did not was rural, maybe the Civil Register-man there didn't even know there is such a thing?

I'm sure Mexico will mellow you out, either that or drive you insane. Razz
j_nmi_rutledge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure Mexico will mellow you out, either that or drive you insane.

ja! well, let's hope for the former!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: