Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite Place to Teach...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 11730
Location: Ultima Thule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tralfamador is good. Kilgore Trout and I are doing well here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Teacher in Rome



Joined: 09 Jul 2003
Posts: 1203

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Qaaolchoura. Teaching motivated adults who have things to say makes for a good experience. I love teaching in Italy - mainly because Italians are such nice people. Demons behind the wheel of a car, but generally speaking, lovely face-to-face. Even Italian teens are mostly sweet (though perhaps not en masse on a school trip to Brighton...)

What I hate about Italy - that the only things that seem to be organised are crime, and the systems designed to relieve you of your money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
contented



Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 136
Location: اسطنبول

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
What I hate about Italy - that the only things that seem to be organised are crime, and the systems designed to relieve you of your money.


that's so funny Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ixchel



Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Posts: 151
Location: The 7th level of hell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A private language school in Los Angeles teaching Japanese salarymen and their wives and children. What a joy it was. Even if they didn't want to be there they were polite and respectful and hard-working. I should post on the Japan forum and see what it's like in-country. I grew up in a huge Japanese community and have never been there. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MotherF



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1082
Location: 1748'N 9746'W

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teaching in Mexico so much that I gave up my dreams to see at least three more countries before getting out of TEFL and I'm just a few weeks away from my 15th anniversary.
I work in a small town. I'm from a small town. I feel very much at home here. I speak the language well now, I already had many years of Spanish study under my belt before arriving. The area I live in has a lot of immigrants and I feel that makes the locals kind to strangers. They generally do not have a negative feeling towards the US as they have been there or have friends and family there. And the ones who have been there are always telling me stories about Americans who helped them out--rather than anti-immigrant stories. The air quality here is excellent. The food is fresh and tasty, I'm in the mountains as well as the tropics so it's not-to-hot-not-to-cold almost all the time. I enjoy latin music and dancing.
On the work side I work at a public institution with lovely students, they are very busy and could be more motivated, but they are nice and respectful. I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling). I get paid comfortably and on-time. I have a nice benefits package. I'm allowed to develop myself professionally as much or as little as I like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cmp45



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Posts: 1343
Location: KSA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I love teaching in Mexico so much that I gave up my dreams to see at least three more countries before getting out of TEFL and I'm just a few weeks away from my 15th anniversary.
I work in a small town. I'm from a small town. I feel very much at home here. I speak the language well now, I already had many years of Spanish study under my belt before arriving. The area I live in has a lot of immigrants and I feel that makes the locals kind to strangers. They generally do not have a negative feeling towards the US as they have been there or have friends and family there. And the ones who have been there are always telling me stories about Americans who helped them out--rather than anti-immigrant stories. The air quality here is excellent. The food is fresh and tasty, I'm in the mountains as well as the tropics so it's not-to-hot-not-to-cold almost all the time. I enjoy latin music and dancing.
On the work side I work at a public institution with lovely students, they are very busy and could be more motivated, but they are nice and respectful. I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling). I get paid comfortably and on-time. I have a nice benefits package. I'm allowed to develop myself professionally as much or as little as I like.

Wow! Your situation is very idyllic! Also proves that one should not judge a person by their 'moniker' Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
contented



Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 136
Location: اسطنبول

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I feel like I'm making a slight difference in their lives. (which may not be true, but I enjoy the feeling).
I think this is very important. I find when I am in a teaching position and this feeling is absent I don't stay long.

It's great that you feel you are making a difference and I'm sure you are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MotherF



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1082
Location: 1748'N 9746'W

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow! Your situation is very idyllic! Also proves that one should not judge a person by their 'moniker' Laughing


What? I'm a mother, my name starts with an F. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC