Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you're saying just go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drewteacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: So you're saying just go? Reply with quote

Do I understand that it's the advice of many of you to just go to Brazil, get the tourist visa on arrival, and start looking for work? Is age a factor in hiring? Time of year?
cisnedoraizes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who you were talking to or what about, but if you're American you have to get a tourist visa before arrival in Brazil - same with most other nationalities I think.

And though I haven't been down there yet, from what I understand the period between Christmas and Carnaval tends to be a bit of a dead period.
ShadowCat17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The semesters usually start in Feb/March (after Carnaval) and August - so I'd try to arrive about month earlier to have time to contact the schools, have them interview and hire you, and be able to give you classes for the upcoming semester.

Be aggressive - I contacted 25 schools that weren't even advertising open positions, interviewed at 4, and was hired at 2 - and persistent in your follow-up, since things don't always move super-fast Wink

As cisnedoraizes said, if you're from the U.S. you'll need to get a visa before leaving, and you might need to show the consulate a round-trip ticket. Your tourist visa will be good for 3 months max, but once in Brazil you can extend it to 6 (you'll need to pay a fee for the change and any fees from changing your flight).

From what I've seen, age isn't a factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: