Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMG Education

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pellinzo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: EMG Education Reply with quote

Hi guys

Has anyone worked for or heard anything about EMG Education?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Arris85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question for me!

I interviewed a couple weeks ago and the lady on the phone seemed great, perfect English and answered all of my questions very easily.

I've had an offer to start at the end of September but they haven't sent me a contract, just bits cut and pasted where I've asked for the specific info.
Also, is it normal to wait before signing? She told me 45 days after starting they will get the work visa etc.

The pay seems decent. i think. No accommodation but hotel for a few days when I arrive.

Just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them!

Pellinzo have you had an offer too?
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a chain or a single school?

I've heard of one with a female manger that is singularly responsible for the turnover in staff. She just breathes disrespect and contempt for her foreign staff. It's in HCMC. But with chains you have to be more specific about the location to get good replies.
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
Is it a chain or a single school?

I've heard of one with a female manger that is singularly responsible for the turnover in staff. She just breathes disrespect and contempt for her foreign staff. It's in HCMC. But with chains you have to be more specific about the location to get good replies.

She must be the same woman who did the same exact thing in Hanoi. She actually runs both places. Too bad. It would otherwise have been a decent place to work (if you didn't mind going to a bunch of different schools each week).

The 45 days is because that is your probation period. On my Day 45, they said they were not going to hire me on. The reason (altho they didn't say it) was that I only agree to teach two of the four extra classes they asked me to teach that week (in addition to my full-time load). The reason for all the OT? You guessed it, turnover. That place was like revolving door.

What they ended up doing on Day 45 was giving me a 3-month contract instead with the idea I'd get the 1-year contract if the 3 mos went by satisfactorily, i.e. after 4 and a half mos there.

Once I'd been there 3 mos, I was second in seniority! Not only did previous teachers leave, but I saw a bunch come and go during that time.

At the end of my three-mo contract, I was told I'd be getting my full-year one. I had no reason to doubt it and didn't push immediately for it. About a month later it was important for another teacher to get his, so he asked about it in a meeting. The woman said that he, I, and another teacher are getting our contracts, they want, us, love us, etc. But then I took a sick day, and that was the end. She fired me, and reneged on the promise of the contract in front of a roomful of teachers.

That is the kind of despotic tyrant this crazy woman is. Avoid at all costs.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Sounds like typical VN process Reply with quote

I was recently told that a lot of schools are just turning people over when the time comes so they do not have to go thru the WP process. The reasons they give can be anything, whatever is convenient. I try not to take it too personally when I am in the middle of this stuff, although at the time it always seems personal. It is really just the standard VN process. Not every single interaction we have here has to be messed up, but we should not be surprised when the majority of them are. For some folks, a good 3 months is all they need or want. You can actually learn a lot by hopping around like this. Probably the one thing we could do to feel better about it is when we see it is getting stupid, be the one to pull the trigger first. Dealing with these people from a position of strength gives you a much better feeling at the end of the day. If you were 2nd in seniority within 3 months, maybe the writing was on the wall.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few dealings with them. Unprofessional and really slow to answer emails. The owner is one of those 'connected' people and runs the school using her connections.

They do pay pretty well and always have work, as people are always leaving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: