Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another joke of an offer from Tripoli...must read.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Another joke of an offer from Tripoli...must read. Reply with quote

The Ideal Centre for Teaching English is offering 20 Libyan Dinar an hour to teach and live in Tripoli. Yes, they'll give you a place to live but you have to pay your own air fare. I'd just like to tell employers that you must be out of your tiny minds. If you think someone is going to teach in a war zone for such pathetic money and pay for the privilege of getting there to boot while you the employer rakes it in and buys a Landcruiser and place in Gargarish, you are nuts. Libya, especially Tripoli is not cheap at all, so don't lie. Regarding safety, I advise all teachers to take a glance at 'The Libya Herald', which you can do online. This paper, written in English, by Libyans will tell you exactly how it is to live in 'Free Libya'. Numerous foreigners have been raped.

Simply disgusted.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen other attempts to recruit people to go and work in Libya for an hourly-paid job. Do not do this. Get a contract that gives air fare, accommodation, visa costs, medical cover.
Salalah Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Another joke of an offer from Tripoli...must read. Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. You should get a proper contract before stepping foot on Libyan soil. The EFL situation in Libya seems to have gone downhill over the last few years, with poor salaries on offer. Things were better for us Teflers when The Colonel was in charge!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

The NTC announced it planned to spend x billion sending people overseas to study. Now, every man and his dog is opening training centres aimed at getting folk overseas. Some people who work for oil companies are opening training centres and getting NOC contracts...gosh...shock...horror!!!! It's a gravy train. Just read the Libya Herald if you want to see how it really is on the ground. We're all sick of people telling us it's safe.....but it is a convenient excuse not to pay us more and compensate us for the risk. Most jobs here pay about half of what is realistic......there is nothing to do in Tripoli or Benghazi.....and the place ain't safe. Some of us are lucky and our pay and holiday package is ok. However, don't come here unless you earn a tonne of money, get home regularly and can put up with boredom and dreadful canteens. I reckon 1 month should be the going rotation in this place now. The phones go down quite often...there are power cuts and the net is dreadful.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: and... Reply with quote

Libyan employers have to learn that there is a market rate for teaching in the oil industry. Why work in Libya on no rotation or a bad one...when you can earn lots more in Saudi, Kuwait or Qatar and live in luxury...and have a life after work. $60,000 is a minimum.....so I hope you employers read this.

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: harrumph Reply with quote

The Manchester Central school of English has posted a 1,200 quid a month position.

Pathetic....simply out of touch with the modern world. It's a primary position, so no doubt they'll get someone who's on the run from Thailand like John Mountford, stabbed and killed in Tripoli a few years ago by a young boy. You can read about it in back editions of the Tripoli Post.
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I agree with dragonpiwo's posts here.
Salalah Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Another joke of an offer from Tripoli...must read. Reply with quote

I've noticed another advert for Libya and it seems to continue the trend of not offering the teacher much of a deal. It mentions 40 hours a week. I hope they don't mean contact hours, as anyone would be daft to get involved with such an outfit. And no mention of money. I presume it's competitive and negotiable. Oh dear.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: ahem Reply with quote

The country is a total mess right now....and dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: