Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incredibly well-educated, little experience!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryancw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Incredibly well-educated, little experience! Reply with quote

Hello forum-

Looking for a little advice. I'm a technical, business, and educational consultant. I've done content provision, curriculum design, and educational research, as well as a bit of volunteer adult education, but that's it, in terms of education. I do have an MBA, an MEd/Educational Technology, and I'll have an MEd/TESOL here in about a year (U of Alaska and U of South Florida respectively, both real ground schools, not online or diploma mills). I'm interested in teaching outside the US, and I'm not looking to get rich (good thing, huh?). My main priority is being able to take a few of my kids with me, along with a possible significant other. Any recommendations for areas in which to look? Travel expenses and housing/living expenses are more important than monthly salary to me, just for references sake. I do read all the other forums, have for years (this has been a long-term dream, hopefully achievable soon), I'm just hoping for a bit of on-the-ground opinion. I hope to see a new country every few years, so area isn't of vital importance, but taking my kids is non-negotiable, they go where I go Smile

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well how old are your kids? That makes a difference as far as where you could go, since they'll need schooling ...

How have you been supporting all these kids and doing masters degrees at the same time? Do you need to make debt payments?
ryancw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are 15 and 5, but I can school them myself, as necessary. Yup, I've been raising 4 of them on my own while schooling, but my payments can be placed in deferment for quite a while, as necessary, and my minimum is $50 a month, so I don't think it will be much of a burden.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your experience as a technical and business consultant, I would aim for a developed place, e.g. a major city, where you can offer business English and maybe technical proof-reading. If you merely compete with other TEFLers, I think that you'll find it hard to make ends meet.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about your significant other. Are they planning on working? Becuase it they're not and you're not married, visas are going to become an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: