Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

career break from psychotherapy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ems211

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: career break from psychotherapy! Reply with quote

Hi there

I am a UK trained psychotherapist and after a number of life changes, I am really looking for a new experience and have alway been very interested in teaching english abroad. I wonder if anyone else has done TEFL/ CELTA as a form of career break. I would love to be able to just travel for a while, though this just isn't financially viable! I understand that it would be quite a commitment, eg, have found a part time training coure for 4 months which is going to cost me �1000, but I think its a worthwhile output as is something I can always have, and frankly, I am considering a full tiem career change. So I would be really grateful if I someone could give me some advise. I don't have a full degree, but have an Advanced Dipolma in Mental Health Nursing and a Post Graduatte Diploma in psychotheray. Would this impact on my ability to get jobs? Also, I am wanting to do this more the the experience than to make money and would love to be in Europe as there is more opportunites to travel, even if only at weekends!

Which leads to my second quetion! Am I being nieve to think that TEFl is a good way of living in a different culture but also being able to travel and make enough money to really enjoy the experience??? I mean, I am not expecting to be rolling in it, but if I could just live comfortablly and really have a new experience that souds good to me!

Any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Emma
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the degree (more often an immigration requirement for a visa than an employer requirement) the simple fact of not having one IS an issue in many places around the planet (particularly Asia) and it is becoming more of an issue as time progresses (it will be a requirement in / for all ASEAN nations by 2015).

The majority of immigration services around the planet won't even consider "equivalencies". To them it is a black and white issue; you either have one or you don't.

It also means that your ability to get beyond subsistence / backpacker type wages is also compromised in many markets.

The bottom line is: it all depends on the where you want to go to and whether or not you are willing to work without the proper paperwork (visas and permits).

The last thing to consider when you look at TEFL course websites that look like brochures from a travel agencies office is that the cost of moving and getting established may be higher than you will recover / save in a year. They are in the business of selling dreams of "teach and travel".

fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, TEFLing may not always provide the needed career break from therapy LOL:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=76089
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: