Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Childhood Education from Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Early Childhood Education from Canada Reply with quote

Hi everyone, so I've backtracked and searched about 15 pages trying to find threads that are relevant to what I'm about to ask, but couldn't find any, so here goes.. I have more than one question and they're quite specific, so please bear with me, I'll try to keep it as short as possible!

Since I'm in this thread, yes, very interested in teaching in Hong Kong. My academic qualifications are what have me concerned, to start off, I do NOT have a degree, I do, however, have a diploma in early childhood education, early childhood meaning teaching children from the ages of 0 to 5 years old, right before they enter kindergarten. This was obtained from one years' worth of full-time studying. I am from Canada, specifically Vancouver, B.C., and to teach in daycares and preschools here (same thing here, not sure about other places), the qualification you need is a diploma from a college. There are a few people who go on and obtain a degree in early childhood and then teach in daycares / preschools, but most people who work in these places have a diploma. In addition to having a diploma in early childhood education, one must be registered in the ECE Registry and obtain a Licence to Practice Certificate, which I have.

Now.. my question is, where does this stand in terms of academic equivalency in Hong Kong? I have read the threads and plan to do CELTA as well. Originally I was going to apply for TEFOL or TESL but after seeing numerous responses that CELTA is best, it seems most beneficial to go for that one. In terms of experience, I've worked at 3 different centres, which amounts to around 2 years' worth of experience. Given my diploma education, and somewhat young experience, and future plan to do CELTA, do I have any chance at all? And I'd be interested in teaching in the same age range, preferably kids 3-5 years, in Hong Kong. I've worked with the infants and toddlers and prefer preschool age.

Also I was born in Hong Kong so I do have permanent status, not sure if that matters for going through EDB but just putting it out there.

One side q I have about CELTA is, although for Hong Kong it is deemed the best, in terms of a worldwide teaching tool, is it as widely recognized as TEFL / TESOL?

I apologize for the long post but really wanted to make things clear. Any help is appreciated, questions or comments.. I'd love to hear your frank opinion. Thanks everyone.
sistercream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already have residency rights, you could almost certainly find a job, but if you want to work in a reputable school you will certainly need a full degree.
ciel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I don't mind what kind of school I work at as long as the pay is at least somewhat reasonable.. and the living conditions are manageable.. I'm aware that I'm at the lower end of the pay scale since I have lack of experience and no degree, but is that what you mean? Or do you mean I should expect to be paid peanuts, in bad working conditions, with long hours, etc.?

I was actually offered a job at a kindy school last year and yes, the pay was low but I was ok with it.. however, didn't end up going in the end because of family issues, but a big thing was that housing wasn't included. With the amount of money they were offering, I wouldn't be able to pay rent and account for living expenses.. that's why I'm going through EDB this time, because as I understand it, they provide a decent housing allowance.
Veek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there .. sorry to be blunt but if you're thinking of applying for the EDB primary NET scheme, your chances are pretty low as your qualifications are for teaching kindergarten. You may get lucky but I know and heard of many people getting rejecting because their qualifications are primarily for early childhood education.
Another point is unless you have your degree, in qualification obessed Hong Kong, you would not be working, as sistercream has mentioned, in reputable schools. Moreoever, with permanent residency, many employers would be very reluctant to provide housing allowance.
Hope this helps.
ciel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Veek, not at all, I appreciate your comment 100%! All comments or questions are welcome, whether bad or good. I just want to try and gather as much info as I can about EDB and specifically early childhood. I do appreciate your comment, thanks sincerely for posting.

Pardon my language but that sucks to hear.. especially the part about me being born in Hong Kong lowering my chances! I moved to Canada when I was 2 but I guess that'll be irrelevant since they'll be able to see I don't need a visa...

If you have anything else to add on about the experiences with getting rejected from EDB, please post.. were they from Canada as well? Was it recent that they applied? Did they just forgo the dream and continue working in their country after getting a negative response?

Despite the bleak chances I'll still probably try and go for it, or else I'm going to spend the rest of my time wondering on and on about it. But at least I have a better idea of what to prepare myself for.

If anyone reading this has anything to add, please, whether good or bad, questions or opinions, please post.
Veek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were simply told their qualifications did not meet the requirements because they were in early childhood education.

Sorry, I did not mean to say that being born in HK would lower your chances of securing work, just with housing benefits. The EDB NEt scheme would still pay the housing allowance to you (if you get accepted) since you've lived in Canada for the majority of your life. Other employers may be more reluctant to provide it to you ..

Another thing is the competition in the market is pretty tough ... so it may take a while to find something to your liking.
ciel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've tried going the other route and finding work without going through EDB, but I've never seen a posting on SCMP (for children 3-5 years) that offer housing..

Thanks for your reply. It's very much appreciated.
sistercream

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply don't get a proper housing allowance with kindergarten or language centre jobs, although I understand some places will subsidise a room in a flat shared with other teachers, or help pay your utilities bills.
ciel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just to ask.. so do you think me going for the CELTA will really improve my chances?

Long story short, I'm in a financial situation and if taking the course isn't going to help me by much.. I'd rather save the money and focus on work and getting the work experience.
ozman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sister cream and veek are probably right. not having a degree is a problem.
however there is a possibility you might fit into Category 5 of the qualifications for primary net if you do the CELTA:-

Category 5 (to be appointed at Certificated Master/Mistress (CM) rank, MPS pt. 14-24)

(i) a recognised teacher�s certificate obtained after at least 2 years� full-time study or equivalent; and

(ii) a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at certificate level, or an equivalent course of study recognised by EDB*.

========================

if you are interested in teaching English, yes you should do the CELTA.

You have nothing to lose by applying to the EDB. as has been said, it's extremely unlikely you'd get any other job which would pay a housing allowance.

check qualifications on their site:
http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1300&langno=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: