Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australia Unistar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainthood

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Australia Unistar Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about this group?

I've found tons of links - for their jobs....

But not a whisper about what they're like.

Apparently, they connect Aussie unis and TAFEs with Chinese universities (probably lower grade ones).

They've been pushing the advertising for a few months, and only a few months, so looks like a new operation....
therock

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been around for a number of years. Their offer isn't that good, something like 10k for 40 hours a week (teaching 20 or so), yes you have to stay in the office when you're not teaching. Don't know about other benefits such as holiday pay etc. I have seen a number of advertisements recently, which could mean they're expanding or just plain desperate.
sainthood

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had found a couple of things from a few years ago.

Gotta love that their English webpage doesn't work.

And, not surprised about the office hours - they don't even get a mention in the ad... and when stuff like that isn't mentioned, I tend not to trust!!!

Has anyone on here contracted through them...????
shonwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Unistar Reply with quote

Hello, yes I'm working for them now, since March 16th. They seem to be ok? So far, however I'm wondering about their promises? The pay is good enough for me about $1,600 US, I must say getting my work visa and also my foreign expert certificate was a royal expensive pain in the ass, I had to fly to Hong Kong and back. I took my TEFL course in Shanghai.

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months.

I started a group in yahoo groups, trying to get it started please feel free to contact me there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tafe-nsw-unistar

Last edited by shonwalker on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
shonwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: changed yahoo group address Reply with quote

It is now: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tafe-nsw-unistar
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

shonwalker wrote:
Hello, yes I'm working for them now, since March 16th. They seem to be ok? So far, however I'm wondering about their promises? The pay is good enough for me about $1,600 US, I must say getting my work visa and also my foreign expert certificate was a royal expensive pain in the ass, I had to fly to Hong Kong and back. I took my TEFL course in Shanghai.

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months....

do they hire native english speak'rs?
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts as well.

shonwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
shonwalker wrote:

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months....

Your in Hainan? I want to teach there next year. How do you like it there? yes only english speakers. hey would you post on my new group. I want to get some action going on there. thanks
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

shonwalker wrote:
choudoufu wrote:
Their like tefl subcontractors?

Your in Hainan? 。。。. thanks[/quote]

Rolling Eyes
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
shonwalker wrote:
choudoufu wrote:
Their like tefl subcontractors?

Your in Hainan? 。。。. thanks

Rolling Eyes[/quote]d

Dat apostrophe iz gonna cost u x-tra whut whut whut.

Warm regaaads,
fat_chris
shonwalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Australia Unistar Reply with quote

Hi, here's a heads up. Working for Anne at Unistar has been a night mare. Every promise has been a lie, they are just a bunch of sharks. No air fare, no paid holidays, no meals, no visa, no nothing, oh yeah, they do give you a big pain in the ass!!! You've been warned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: