Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workplace annoyances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Workplace annoyances Reply with quote

So, is there anything about your workplace that irks you in particular?

For me, it's the severe lack of communication and organisation, and ultimately end up doing such things for the management team who seemingly haven't the foggiest about what's going on.

That, and the fact there's rarely any drinking water available in a country where drinking tap water is just not pleasant at all!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newly-minted Celta teachers holding forth on Chomsky. Sets my teeth on edge.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workplace? We have carpet and curtains in some of the classrooms that aggravate my asthma. And the elevators can be slow sometimes.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colleagues stealing teabags. And toilet paper. When they have a net, disposable income of US$4,000 a month.

I mean if you are too stingy to buy sh*** paper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
jaffa

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Colleagues stealing teabags. And toilet paper. When they have a net, disposable income of US$4,000 a month.

You'd think they'd go native in the Middle East.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Oh I know someone like that in Saudi Arabia. He takes sauce packets from restaurants because he doesn't want to buy ketchup and mayonnaise etc :/
Hod

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Workplace annoyances Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
That, and the fact there's rarely any drinking water available in a country where drinking tap water is just not pleasant at all!

I can cut your workplace annoyances in half right now: Every day, buy some bottles of water on the way to work.

If that's 50% of your complaints, you must be living in a great place right now.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Workplace annoyances Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Gamajorba wrote:

I can cut your workplace annoyances in half right now: Every day, buy some bottles of water on the way to work.

If that's 50% of your complaints, you must be living in a great place right now.

It's not, believe me.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Workplace annoyances Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
...there's rarely any drinking water available in a country where drinking tap water is just not pleasant at all!
And yet. And yet! In Las Vegas where I last lived, where you'd think they had quite an advanced water filtration and distribution system because it is the desert, and it's an affluent city that must cater to well heeled guests from all over the planet, the tap water has an aftertaste. You can feel it in your body, you take on a metallic scent and are ever aware of your own soft palate - while here in this Gobi desert city in which I live that boasts a river the madmen Chinese installed by hand, I simply filter (filter 5 yuan) and boil my tap water (electric kettle 40 yuan) and it's far superior to First World water.

So what's the topic? Workplace annoyances? You want to mitch and bone about the horrid non-western country you went to live in on your own volition because they'll pay you more than you could ever make at home? Well, go ahead and do so, but be very careful about making generalizations. The world is just too vast and varied a place for that.

Last edited by water rat on Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Workplace annoyances Reply with quote

OK, I *did* say that the water thing was only a minor thing, there are OTHER things that get me within a workplace, the water was just an EXAMPLE.

So we can drop the water thing now, and move onto something else Smile

Another thing that gets me personally, is watching colleagues from different companies acting like they run the show and ordering other people around, then complain when they actually have to teach a class.

^ there you go, another example. No doubt that happens elsewhere too.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honkies that complain all the time.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Laughing
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Hey, just trying to add some 'lively' debate here...different experiences from different people with different backgrounds and all!
Jultime

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air conditioning....I really miss air conditioning.

But in the general scheme of things I'd rather have no air conditioning than endure a 6 month Canadian winter.

So I'm not complaining Surprised
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Air conditioning....I really miss air conditioning.

But in the general scheme of things I'd rather have no air conditioning than endure a 6 month Canadian winter.

So I'm not complaining Surprised

Funny, I've been bearing the brunt about AC complaints from my students all week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: