Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal Background Check

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1randal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Criminal Background Check Reply with quote

Good Evening:

I am looking into teaching in Vietnam as I enjoyed a recent visit there. I am 29 and have a Bachelors in English and an MA in Tesol. However I do have a DUI from when I was younger. I have taught ESL for the past 6 years and am serious about the field of ESL. That being said, I don't really want to waste too much time. Any insight into this document would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Philip
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip.

You will need to provide more info - like your nationality to get a useful response.

Also - try searching before posting. There is a lot on the site already about this subject and maybe your question is already answered.

One thing about Vietnam is that it takes time to work your way into a job that fits. You just can't find out enough information up front for a host of reasons.

Anyway - after searching this site you will discover that a criminal background check is only needed for a work permit - something you are unlikely to need at first. Later - by the time you have a job that suits you and an employer who is serious about you and ready to do the WP process (this can be an issue) you will have lived here long enough to be eligible to get a criminal background check done locally - in fact that is the background check they will want and a CBC from home will not apply.

I feel these CBCs are the weakest part of he WP process. It all stems from some problems with child abuse that were big in the media a few years ago. However - most sex offenders have never been convicted in their home country so will not have any criminal record.

DUIs could be a problem because some employers will use anything except a clean record check as a reason not to employ you or not to start the WP. But then again the biggest hurdle in getting a work permit is employers who just can't be bothered to do their part, at least in my experience and from what I've read on here.

If you don't get a lot of answers to this question there is an element of fatigue on here with newbies asking simple questions which are easily answered following a search....
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would simply repeat, all the folks who ask these common questions, please find the relevant existing thread and update it. Then all this info which has already been posted will be back on top. Note that for every one person who posts there are about 30 others who just read the thread without posting. Updating an existing thread benefits, them, the OP, and the long term posters who then do not have to repeat what they have already posted. Just do a search and you will find any of these common topics. You will find that the more prolific posters are more motivated to add to an existing thread than to add to a new one that is already mostly covered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: