Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beechouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Other Schools Reply with quote

Hello everybody! Beechouse here again. Awhile back I posted a thread titled "Best of the Worst." If you missed it, here's the link : http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99962&sid=c972d72cbbe5a0538fff48fc061e82e9
In that post, I asked of all the McSchools, which one is the best to work at. I am moving to Russia (preferably Moscow or St. Petersburg) to teach this fall. I really don't want to work at a McSchool. RoscoeTX made the point by saying that I don't necessarily have to settle for a McSchool. That got my wheels turning. I like that idea!
I have been trying to find other good schools to teach at. Even if they are in the rural side of Moscow or St. Petersburg. For example, Rosinka school. Granted that is a UK based school and I'm from the US. It looks like an awesome place to teach though...
I am receiving my CELTA this spring, and I have little teaching experience. However, I'm an actor (SAG-AFTRA... that's the actors union if you didn't know...), and can hopefully sell myself to a place better than a McSchool. I am putting my acting career on hold to pursue this dream of living in Russia again (studied at the Moscow Art Theatre for a semester). While there, I still plan on writing and filming shorts during my free time and on weekends. I'm not a big partier or a bar scene type of guy, so most of my time is spent either playing my Xbox (which I can't take Sad or writing). I am fascinated by Russia cinematography and films. My bigger dream as an artist is to show the real Russia and the people to the US and not the typical vodka or mafia stereotype... Sorry, I've digressed.
Anyways, if anybody has any other good schools (or production company...) to start off at, let me know. Thank you and y'all the best!! I read every post on here and it's so informative!![/url]
RoscoeTX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Beechouse,

Nice to see you still have a strong interest in venturing back out to the frozen tundra! And I'm glad to see that my advice has inspired you a bit. To reiterate, I do feel it's best for you to explore all possible options as far as language schools go, not just the Mcschools.

And on that note, I have another school you may want to check out. Here is their website: http://www.saasmar.ru/

They go by the name Saas Marina School. I know they hire primarily American teachers and sometimes hire teachers who are living abroad at the moment. They offer shared housing, an above average and on time pay, visa support, and lunch. You would mostly be teaching teens and maybe some kids (7 - 9). For the most part the kids were well-behaved, respectful, quite clever, and fun.

I did in fact work there for about 6 months, but honestly, the work load was a bit too much for me. There was a bit too much lesson planning for my taste. That was the case for me because prior to working there I had mostly been private teaching and working part time for other schools and I just wasn't used to such heavy planning. Who knows, you could say I'm a bit lazy too) Also, just to be honest, the head director there can be a bit flighty, picky, and inconsistent. However, there is one American guy still working there who seemed to get on quite well with the staff and the system. And he was hired from the US and had little to no experience and no teaching certificate...he just "sold" them based on his personality))

Anyways, you could check them out at least, they are based in Moscow and got just one school.

Unfortunately I don't have any info on the film scene here but I'm sure it can always use some fresh ideas.

Good luck with your CELTA, I loved my CELTA experience here in Moscow, the trainers here were amazing. Take care!
Beechouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply once again RoscoeTX! It's funny that you mention Saas Marina because right before I posted the original post, I was poking around their website... which made what to post the question. I did like what I saw with them. I don't mind teaching teens or kids. I have done a lot of work with them with the theatre company that I am partner of in Dallas. Not that I have any experience or prior knowledge to the McSchools, but based on what I have read, I'd like to keep many options open. Not to say that I'll have a bad experience with them, I'd just like to at start off at a place where I can find less negative reviews. Very Happy Very Happy
I'm really looking forward to the course. Should be challenging and fun! I'm actually taking it back in Chicago (where I grew up, went to school and lived for a bit), so I can't wait to get out of the south and back to the Windy City.
If you hear of any other good schools, please to pass along!
RoscoeTX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Whoa there partner, watch what you say about the South)) I'm from Dallas myself) Never spent much time in the Windy City but I'm sure it's a decent enough place. Ha!

Anyways, Saas is not a bad place to work, you get a lot of freedom in regards to the heaps of planning you would be doing and you can be as creative as you wanna be.

If I come across any interesting opportunities or openings I'll let you know and feel free to PM anytime if you have any pressing questions you'd like my humble opinion on. Plus this forum is chalk full of amazingly helpful info.

Also, if you happen to land in Moscow when you return to Russia...check out Native Speakers Club for snagging private students. I was just given 4 privates within the span of one month and I would say I'm much better off working primarily as a private teacher than with any school. Which probably goes without saying.

God Save the South Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: