Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract renewal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fchris171

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Contract renewal Reply with quote

Hi,

I work in a state school in Beijing and my contract renewal is coming up. I don't think that I'll be able to negotiate a raise purely because my teaching hours to wages ration is already pretty good.

How common is it for a teacher to be paid over the summer holiday if they newel the contract? I don't want to push to hard as I do want stay on.

Also, although I have a good relationship with the school there have been a few little bumps in the road this year and I hate how they have compete power over my visa. I'm getting married soon so I will be eligible for a family visa. Do you think working on one of these in Beijing is totally off limits? I knew one guy who was doing it with no problems but he was out in the sticks.
dlecorchick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school is a Chinese "International School" (all Chinese students with 20 or so foreign teachers) and if we sign for another year a bonus salary is awarded. So, the month of September we will receive a bonus equal to one month's salary.

Last year I worked at a uni and there was no summer pay. This is my first year at my current school.

This is a good question. I'm eager to hear what others have to say.

-Douglas
maxand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I re-signed with my school (in June), my FAO gave me 2 months salary (july + august) when I returned to my classes in September. Other posters may have a different situation.
Son of Bud Powell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer pay is negotiable with the FAO (if your school has one). It comes out of a discretionary fund. I usually get something from the school during the summer. Sometimes it's a round trip ticket back to my home country, sometimes it's work that the FAO has found for me. Sometimes it's both a continuation of my salary and private students or work at a private school.

Tell your boss that you would like to work during the summer.

No, Wait. Tell him that you NEED to work during the summer.

You never know what will happen.
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting summer pay is very naive. They should pay you by 12 months - otherwise you end up penniless for 2 months of every year. You should negotiate this before agreeing to anything. OR work out your 12 month salary - ie 10000 a month is 120000 a year, or 11000 for 10 months is only 110000 a year. A lot of schools fudge the numbers so you think you are getting a better deal, when you aren't.

If you were not completely inept any institution should give you a pay rise. Politely inform them that your wages should at least match inflation otherwise you are earning less than the year before.
hdeth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get paid winter and summer vacation + something for airfare/travel. That is basic stuff. Some schools will give you a lump sum for airfare/travel (preferred), while others will reimburse you for travel to your home country (sucks if you don't want to go home).

Just focus on the overall compensation. It takes a bit of looking at different gigs but you will eventually get a feel for what different categories of jobs pay.
Laurence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small danger that if you don't ask for a raise, they will think you are a pushover. So don't by shy about it - they definitely won't hold it against you for asking.

Just make sure you negotiate in a reasonable (as appropriate to your host country/culture) manner.

"normally when reliable teachers renew their contract there will be some kind of benefit like..."

Good luck - let us know what you get!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
Not getting summer pay is very naive. They should pay you by 12 months - otherwise you end up penniless for 2 months of every year. You should negotiate this before agreeing to anything. OR work out your 12 month salary - ie 10000 a month is 120000 a year, or 11000 for 10 months is only 110000 a year. A lot of schools fudge the numbers so you think you are getting a better deal, when you aren't.

If you were not completely inept any institution should give you a pay rise. Politely inform them that your wages should at least match inflation otherwise you are earning less than the year before.

The standard contract is 10 months.
Only by re-signing are you usually paid for July and August.
As OP is discovering the employer won't offer the inducement. It has to be asked for.
fchris171

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, yeh I'm on a 10 month contract at the moment. A discussion will probably come up this month about it so I'll come back and say how I got on.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Chris
It is the feedback that is important.
Often the forum doesn't hear what strategy gets the best outcome.
I don't think one month - even two, is a biggie and should be available.
If you re-sign for a 3rd year maybe 2 months paid holiday can be had if you only secure one month in this cycle.
Plus of course you don't have to pack and move, if you come back for another year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
Not getting summer pay is very naive. They should pay you by 12 months - otherwise you end up penniless for 2 months of every year.

If you're working a job that doesn't pay you over the summer (some people are), then a little bit of common sense would suggest saving some of your salary each month for the two months you aren't getting paid. There's no good reason anyone should be penniless over the summer.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever worked 12 month contracts.

They want you to commit 1 year of your life (because you aren't going to find work in July and August if you switch jobs), but only pay for 10 months? That makes no sense. Do you really think Chinese teachers don't get paid during the summer!??!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
I've only ever worked 12 month contracts.

They want you to commit 1 year of your life (because you aren't going to find work in July and August if you switch jobs), but only pay for 10 months? That makes no sense. Do you really think Chinese teachers don't get paid during the summer!??!

Your point was that without summer pay people would be penniless for July and August. The only people who would find themselves in that situation are those that are too stupid to save for the two months they might not be working. And you can work over the summer if you want (even if you change jobs) because there are plenty of summer camps around China that will take people on. Your last point about Chinese teachers is irrelevant because the terms of their contracts are not the same as your standard SAFEA contract.
Deats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wording was poor. I meant that they would receive no money for these months.

So, would you work 10 months, then move all your worldly belongings to another job for 2 months, then move everything again to start another job for 10 months? What a hassle! Also, the problems of doing all of this legally with visas... Not worth the headache.

As far as I see it, if I work all year, I am entitled to be paid for the holidays. These places advertise summer holidays (surely everyone around the world gets some form of paid vacation!?) then won't pay you for it. It's days accrued you are being paid for as you can't take time off during the year like you can in normal jobs.

Like I said, I've always got a 12 month contract. Suppose it depends on what you deem as fair.
Emp1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Deats. I expect paid vacation the same as other employees around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: