Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better For a Teacher Starting Out: Large or Small Eikawa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm diabetic and the sodium isn't particularly good either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TWG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelackey92 wrote:
Get paid less while loving the job > Get paid more while being miserable

This. Save the stress for the sociopaths who thrive on it.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Better For a Teacher Starting Out: Large or Small Eikawa Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
timothypfox wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Second, how is it that an employer can "leave very little time for al ife outside of work"? You put in your 40 hours (classroom time plus prep/other duties) and then go home. Please explain what you meant.

The # of hours of work tend to be long and more towards 50 plus hours a week - not 40,
How do you figure, timothyfox?

1. If the teacher takes work home to do planning, then I agree.

2. If the teacher is expected to be in the office more than 40 hours per week, then they should get paid overtime for it. I doubt that they are even expected to be there more than the standard 40, though, especially in these days of poor economy, cutbacks, and reluctance of employers to pay one yen more than they have to.

Well, just to clarify - the last time I worked in Japan, I had a 9 hour work day - 12 to 9 pm and the odd time had to do over time. This was at GEOS back in the day... 12 to 9 - 5 days a week is 45 hours. Staying an hour late to help the manager with a visiter, and putting in hours for work parties (I call them work too) - put my work week at about 50 hours a week.

Now, I don't know if this amount of work is currently the industry standard for eikaiwa's or whether GEOS had us doing more hours of work overall.

I work a little more than that in my current position, but I work at a private junior high/ senior high school, so that doesn't apply in this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: