Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximum Leisure Time (Full-Time)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almond_Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Maximum Leisure Time (Full-Time)? Reply with quote

What types of teaching jobs/companies/schools give foreign teachers the most (paid) free time (nat'l holidays, vacations, personal days, etc.)?

I am asking because I am slaving for a 'Crap-o-la, Inc.' right now but I do have a TESL and I am looking to get a better job once my contract expires.

Thanks!
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find it hard to beat ALT work for holidays. Generally at least a month off in summer, two weeks at Christmas, and over a week for Easter. Plus all public holidays.

Not all of the school break times will be paid, it varies from company to company. Some go as low as 50% of pay for August, for example.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, most ALT dispatch agencies do not offer paid time off. At best you would get partial salary during that time.

I would look more for the quality of the job instead of the amount of free time, but that's just me. I would certainly not bring up vacation time during any interview!
TWG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

I would look more for the quality of the job instead of the amount of free time, but that's just me.

But that's one of those things you don't know until you're in the environment though. I've lost count of the number of jobs I had that looked good on paper.

OP: As mentioned above public schools and universities give you the most leisure time in ESL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: