Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a university ESL position in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giovanni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: getting a university ESL position in China Reply with quote

I am a 27 year old single woman- US/Canadian dual citizen.

I am certified to teach biology, ESL, and English in the state of Oklahoma. I have taught English and biology to English language learners in a public high school for 2.5 years. I have a master's from a brick-and-mortar (i.e. not online) school in Bilingual Ed/ TESL. I also have a 60 hour TESOL certificate (not online)

My contract at my school is up in December. I want to explore my options such as working at a university in China. How do I get a relatively high paying job? Are year long contracts available or are they mostly 2 years?

thanks
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all contracts are ten months or one year. I've never heard of a two year contract. The place I'm at now offered me a five year contract but that is definitely not the norm.
giovanni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. A year is a lot easier to commit to than 2 years. How does one procure a university position? I'm also looking at PNU in KSA but China sounds better for a single lady
vikeologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest paying jobs are at places like Nottingham (Ningbo) or Liverpool University, or at the top Unis in China, such as Peking Uni that pay western-level wages.

I know that Nottingham typically does 2 year contracts.

Bear in mind though that competition for these jobs is fierce, and though your qualifications and experience sound sufficient you'll be competing against candidates that have been Directors of Studies or taught ESL in other prestigious schools and Unis.

Most Uni jobs (I'd guess about 99%) are not so well paid, though you'll probably have no problem getting one of these jobs, (you'll be more qualified than most of the other teachers) though the vast majority start in September..

Logically I would have thought that there would be something in the middle, but I'm not at all sure there is.

Have a look at http://en.chinatefl.com/

I think it's the source of the most definitive list of Unis, though I would strongly suggest only applying to unis directly and never ever using a recruiter.

I don't think that's a competing website with Daves as such. If I've offended, my apologies.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are certified, look at high school jobs maybe. Subject teachers are needed.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God if you are a certified teacher look at international schools in some nice southern cities. If I had mine, I would be teaching at one now. They will pay 15-20k rmb per month and give alot of other perks. Thats three to four times what a University teacher makes.
Yes, apply directly to any school in China. Agencies will screw with you.
El Macho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will follow up this post with a PM, but if you are interested in continuing to teach biology, it will be very easy for you to earn RMB 20,000+/month teach on a high school international program. I'm currently employed in such a program on a two-year contract, and it is quite good.

If you are committed to teaching at a university, it may be a bit more difficult to earn that much per month �� the joint venture universities tend to prefer folks with MAs and experience teaching university; wouldn't hurt to apply, though.
giovanni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered international schools but they sound like a lot of work (like teaching here in the US vs. how cushy ESL is!) Also I'm concerned because my specialty is ESL and it sounds like most international schools are full of English speaking kids. But I would love to hear more if you have time
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the top paid jobs in Unis are hard work as well.

There's no money growing on trees.

Teach in a standard Uni if you want to be semi-retired or supplement your income with private classes.

Go to a top uni (or International School) if you want the money and the workload.
giovanni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested in supplementing with private lessons. I kind of want a "break" and honestly the international school job descriptions sound much, much tougher (well paid, yes, but labor-intensive) than any ESL university position I've seen.

Would love to do the international school circuit in a couple of years when I'm married with kids and can bring them over. Right now I only have a boyfriend I'd have to Skype with

Sounds like a standard uni+ privates (not to get ahead of myself but my physical appearance is congruent with what they think an "English teacher" should look like) are probably the right fit for me. Thanks!
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several posters have suggested that the top universities pay higher salaries. I have a friend at Tsinghua who has a doctorate and earns less than I do at an ordinary uni with no doctorate. Do people mean the joint venture schools when they talk about 'top universities'? Just curious.

MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the 'top universities' in Beijing pay horribly. I got an offer a few years ago at a school that is ranked in the top 30 nationally. No BS, 3.5k a month. I've heard Beijing Foreign Language and Culture University pays 4k/month. I also remember an ad for Beida that paid 5.5k/month for like 22 hours, and no pay during the summer. They also said they wanted people (*chuckle*) with at least a masters degree and publications.

Consider, too, that teaching classes at one of the good schools, where most of the kids can already speak ENglish well, is going to involve a lot more time doing preparation, grading, etc. than teaching at some 3rd tier school where the kids are all like "Where are you come from?" and "Last weekend I go to shopping."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: