Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yanbu
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Saudi TV 2 Reply with quote

ohman wrote:

I left the country because I found myself slipping into a deep, dark place coming home and going to work facing heavy machine guns, shoulder slung sub machine guns and 22mm cannons.

From what you posted in these boards, Mr. Man, It sounded as though you left the country because you got fired from your job. My misunderstanding?

BD
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But not all of us have left !
"We few, we gallant few, we band of brothers...................."
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Thinking it over Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
". . . we lucre-loving diehards . . .", perhaps?

I'm reminded of the classic Jack Benny skit. Mr. Benny is confronted by an armed robber, who demands, "Your money or your life". There's a long pause while Mr. Benny considers the choice, chin in hand. The would-be robber finally asks impatiently:

"Well?".

And Mr. Benny, with equal impatience, replies:

" I'm thinking, I'm thinking".

Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Appointments in Samarra Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
And yes - I'm absolutely sure all these incidents were intentional and not caused by the usual lousy driving. I was the only pedestrian on the otherwise traffic-less back streets and the drivers had to sharply turn their wheels to "aim" at me.

Really, Mr. Slat, you were walking? Well, the dear man probably thought you were one of the poor people and wanted to use you for a diverting little game of Ped Chase; or perhaps he was trying to get your attention so you would run into the nearest store and snare him a pack of cigarettes.

One must always be sensitive to cultural differences and never take offense unduly.

BD
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bindair,

Quote:
Well, the dear man . . .

Ah, that should have been "men", actually. And, although I did (rather foolishly) wave at them to return after each "incident" (though, upon more mature reflection, I'm rather glad they didn't take me up on the invitation), I suppose it was "all in fun" more or less. Boys will be boys, after all. So, yes - I should have been more aware of those "cultural differences" you mentioned. However, perhaps they should have been also aware of the same on my side. For, I confess that if I'd had a 357 Magnum on me, I'd have yelled out, "Make my day", and put a few rounds through their respective windshields. Ah, missed opportunities.
Regards,
Dirty John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
And, although I did (rather foolishly) wave at them to return after each "incident" (though, upon more mature reflection, I'm rather glad they didn't take me up on the invitation), I suppose it was "all in fun" more or less.

I would not ever want to encourage confrontational behavior, Mr. Slat, but, for what it's worth, I've found that inviting that particular type --dare I say "breed"?-- of gentleman to step out of his vehicle and discuss things in a more focused manner usually returns them to relatively sane behavior rather quickly. The effect is not as lasting as a double-tap to the head from a .357 magnum, but the sense of gratification is immediate.

"No problem, no problem, yanni..."

Smile

BD
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4877691/
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of the events this week i am going over to Bahrain to look for an appartment this weekend and do the commute.

It will cost me a bit more and i suppose i am taking a risk driving two hours a day but enough is enough.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see how commuting from Bahrain to Saudi will make you safer.

There has ben some speculation that the Bahrain Causeway would be a good traget for an outrage by the terrorists.

By commuting you are increasing your exposure to uncertainty.

I think every day about my continuing daily decision to stay, and I think most people here feel the same way.
ohman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sounded as though you left the country because you got fired from your job. My misunderstanding
?

Resigning meant no ticket, no shipment of personal effects.
Being fired meant a ticket and shipment paid for.
One can get oneself fired Al without walking into class wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt while eating a ham sandwich.

Sadly, it took my three months to get myself fired. They wouldn't take the hint. What finally did it was circulating my blog among a few snitches.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohman wrote:
Sadly, it took my three months to get myself fired. They wouldn't take the hint. What finally did it was circulating my blog among a few snitches.

Ah, that clears that up. BTW, if you're trying to preserve your anonymity, that link from your profile to your blog makes you very easy to identify.

BD
ohman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Assholics Anonymous Reply with quote

I don't mind breaking anonymity. I'm a recovering A-hole trying to carry the message to other A-holes who are still suffering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: