Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone reccomend an intensive Spanish school?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Can anyone reccomend an intensive Spanish school? Reply with quote

I am arriving in Spain shortly and as it's the 'dead-time' for picking up work, and I have some cash put aside, thought it would be a good idea to get aquantainted with the language.

I am open to suggestion on location, though would prefer the coast. Decent price, good teachers and class size are key. Naturally an interesting and fun location is good.

I am still undecided on where I will settle after, though am veering towards andulusia - it makes sense to go to one town for both work and classes, but I've heard the south is best avoided in July and August.

I am in my 30s, British and an absolute beginner.
RabbitWho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOI (escuela oficial de idiomas) is in every city but they only offer Spanish in some. The classes are intensive, 2 hours a day, and they are subsidised by the government. I paid 200 euro for 130 hours of classes. Sometimes the levels offered are different depending on whether it is the first or second part of the year, so make sure Spanish is available in the place you're going at the time you are going there.

Intensive summer courses are also available in many EOIs and usually 4 hours a day and more expensive.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabbitWho wrote:
I paid 200 euro for 130 hours of classes.

Holy smoke, what a bargain! In HK I pay 45 euros an hour for one-to-one Spanish tuition. And that's a good rate here. Different economies of course, but even so ...
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might (understandably!) find the EOI hard to get into. Be prepared to queue up!

Another cheap alternative, if that's what you're looking for, are schools that do teacher training, who often have practice lessons for their trainee teachers. Standard does tend to vary a bit from one day to the next but I know people that go to them at IH in Barcelona who are happy.

There must be schools in other places that offer the same thing (though practice English lessons are possibly easier to find than practice Spanish lessons).
RabbitWho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true about it being difficult to get into, but that depends on the city, you can find out about it before you go.

The class sizes are big. I don't think that is something to worry about because it is easy to find an intercambio to correct your mistakes and help you with your pronunciation, you have to insist they be strict with you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: