Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Positions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindsay316

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: University Positions Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the situation is for EFL teaching in universities in Spain? I've tried searching the internet, and I've come up with absolutely nothing.

I have a master's degree and only university-level teaching experience, and I would really like to find something at a university in Spain. Any advice?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the France forum, you noted that you are American. This limits your legal options.
You also noted that you've got experience in Korea; this won't give you a huge leg up in Europe (students and etc are quite different).

In any case, university positions are fairly rare and you'd be very unlikely to find anything on the internet.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
In any case, university positions are fairly rare and you'd be very unlikely to find anything on the internet.

True on both counts, and posts usually get filled by word of mouth to people on the ground. They're also not well paid - usually somewhere between 1000 and 2000 euros per month.
lindsay316

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
On the France forum, you noted that you are American. This limits your legal options.
You also noted that you've got experience in Korea; this won't give you a huge leg up in Europe (students and etc are quite different).

Do you think this is the case throughout the EU? I would really just love a chance to work in that part of the world for a while (along with everyone else, I guess). I've heard that Italy and Spain are two of the best places to teach EFL, but is that just for EU members, or do people who say that just not take the university scene into account?

Thanks for the responses! I'm really just trying to get a feel for how possible a move to Europe might be for me. BTW, 1,000 to 2,000 euros looks like a fine salary to someone considering the teaching assistant program in France: approx. 780 euros per month! Blerg!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked on an off in a European university for over a decade, and we have partner universities in most EU countries, so I have contacts in the systems all over.

University positions are extremely competitive. The last position we advertised attracted more than 30 applications from people with related MA+.

As Perilla points out, most of the relatively rare openings go to people with local reputation and contacts. This is even truer in the case of a non-EU national, because the university in question has to make a case that 'you' have qualifications that no EU candidate for the job can match (or that there were no EU candidates; highly unlikely).

Without local contacts, your chances are slim - the TA program in France is one of the few loopholes to this.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of crap that the teaching assistant grant is still 780 euros a month in France. It was that much when I applied for the program like 6 years ago. Imagine ending up in Paris on that kind of "salary" Surprised even if you can supplement it with private classes.

Why bother bending over backwards trying to get into a university for between 1000-2000 euros a month anyway? There's a language assistant program in Madrid open to North Americans that pays 1,000 euros net per month for 16 hours a week to work in "bilingual" schools (assuming the country remains afloat). The preparation and stress are minimal, perhaps even too low for some types.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: