Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College of Applied Science and Tech

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: College of Applied Science and Tech Reply with quote

I must have sent a resume a whıle back (BA Englısh, 5 yrs Englısh teachıng, no certıfıcatıon of any kınd, Masters ın unrelated subject) and got a phone call last Sunday nıght (??!) askıng ıf I could do a Skype ıntvw the followıng mornıng whıch I could not as I had class to teach--- and ıt seems my lack of a cert as well as other thıngs whıch I have heard are necessary ın the Gulf were not and would not---accordıng to her---be a problem for employment.

WTF??? Have thıngs changed that much and are they so desperate ın Oman that they would consıder ME who has no cert and no Masters ın Ed or anythıng sımılar? Any updates on trends ın Oman?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past few years, all you needed for these Tech colleges was... breathing. Then Oman tightened up the rules and was looking for a BA + cert + a couple years of experience or related MA + experience. The latest new rule is that the BA must be "related" which must be what they think can get you in - added to your experience.

That said, they may tell you that it is "no problem" and then the Ministry may not approve it. So don't quit a current job until you have the visa and ticket in hand.

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also depend on how much wasta a particular recruiter has with the Ministry (i.e. whose palms are they greasing and how well). Some contracting companies are able to swing things which others cannot. Additionally, requirements on paper do not always automatically translate into actual practice. Faced with a dearth of warm bodies in the classroom, it is entirely feasible that recently-introduced standards could be expediently relaxed.
FarGone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
It could also depend on how much wasta a particular recruiter has with the Ministry (i.e. whose palms are they greasing and how well). Some contracting companies are able to swing things which others cannot. Additionally, requirements on paper do not always automatically translate into actual practice. Faced with a dearth of warm bodies in the classroom, it is entirely feasible that recently-introduced standards could be expediently relaxed.

You nailed it. There is no other reason for ELS/ITES to be in existence, other than "deep pockets-which-flow-to-equally-corrupt places."
WiseSheikh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
It could also depend on how much wasta a particular recruiter has with the Ministry (i.e. whose palms are they greasing and how well). Some contracting companies are able to swing things which others cannot.

Not sure about the "wasta" thing though because all applications for the ELCs (Tech Colleges) are vetted by a committee headed by the Director of the ELC of HCT Muscat. So, I don't think the recruiters can "swing things" any way they want.
FarGone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless (and I am not saying this as fact: only a hypothesis), those palms which are greased are those "vetted by a committee headed by the Director of the ELC of HCT Muscat."

Look at ELS/ITES track record, for instance, and ask yourself: "Why is this for-profit corporation still able to 'do business' in Oman?"
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseSheikh wrote:

Not sure about the "wasta" thing though because all applications for the ELCs (Tech Colleges) are vetted by a committee headed by the Director of the ELC of HCT Muscat. So, I don't think the recruiters can "swing things" any way they want.

The Colleges of Applied Science and Technology are run by a different Ministry.

I also have little doubt that the ELC Director, HCT Muscat will, in the final analysis, do exactly as instructed by his overlords at the MoM. He is not going to rock any boats; particularly his own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: