Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ibri Oman HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Ibri Oman HELP Reply with quote

Hello,
I just got offered a position in Ibri Oman. Unfortunately I can not find information about working there, the expact community there and more importantly housing. I have worked in the middle east before but housing ws provided. With my offer now I am given an allowance and I have to find a place. Could someone tell more about the cost of a 1 bedroom? And something close to the college of technology.
Also, while working in Saudi my employer would take our passports and return it to us when needed. Is the case in Oman as well?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers don't hold the passports in Oman (with a few exceptions that are private employers). There haven't been any complaints here about recruiters trying to hold passports. They will take it for a bit to get the visa stamped and the labor card.

Did you try a search here? Use the one near the log in area, type in Ibri and whatever else... housing... flats... Then tick "search all terms." Choose Oman on the drop down and you should find a few threads. Normally you start out in a hotel, and I'm sure that the college and your fellow teachers will assist in finding flats. From what people have posted here, prices are pretty reasonable.

VS
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, that was helpful
If anybody there now, or was recently there any information would be appreciated.
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:
Great thanks, that was helpful
If anybody there now, or was recently there any information would be appreciated.

Pearl

Don't worry, Oman is the best place in the Middle East in terms of people, treatment and relaxation.
I was concerned like you, but when arrived in Ibra, first in a hotel, then I found tens of colleagues and people are very very helpful because they live a normal life, unlike the prison of Saudi Arabia!!
Do not worry at all, I found a fully furnished flat for 120 OR in 2 days! rented a car the following day, and got very helpful and nice friends.
Iqama ( as called in Saudi Arabia ) and residency card done in 5 days! then you can travel anywhere, when come back to Oman, just scan your thumb and the gate opens, welcome back! easy country, easy procedures,easy life, and easy people.
You will see yourself.
airapets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: housing in Ibri Reply with quote

TATI was my contractor and they paid for two weeks at the local hotel. In the end I sub-letted from a coworker. There are two or three agencies in the town that help find rentals for people and they do speak English. I visited one which was on the main street, which goes out to both colleges. There is another opposite the big mosque and a little north. This was three years ago, but I doubt little has changed.
aummua

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a whole two weeks?
pearl_1212

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, for the help!

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech. They were so insistant on me signing it and me coming out with in the week. Now I am waiting for my contract and ticket....they said they would take my paperwork to the ministry...how long would it before they send me my final travel arrangements?
hashim99uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:
Great thanks, for the help!

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech. They were so insistant on me signing it and me coming out with in the week. Now I am waiting for my contract and ticket....they said they would take my paperwork to the ministry...how long would it before they send me my final travel arrangements?

Pearl

You will be pleased soon!
This is just a routine in Oman, they have to get the approval of the ministry before they send you a ticket. You will wait maybe more than 2 weeks as this week is the last one before the Eid holiday starts on 27/10 to 3/11. You are lucky if they get the approval this week. I have a friend in Salalah who is working for Bahwan, he is very happy, and every thing is done properly and on time. Good luck and happy Eid!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pearl_1212 wrote:

I signed my offer letter with bahwan ceyber-tech.

While perhaps not the most outstanding of the recruiters overall (though they are all pretty much of a muchness), Bahwan do at least have a fairly good settling-in process in place. Your initial transition to life in the Sultanate should be relatively smooth and hassle free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: