Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET - Hmm...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be applying too, good luck! No matter what, it can't hurt to try, right?

It sure is taking them long enough to make the US application available though! First it was gonna be in mid-September, then that became mid-October.. And here it is almost the end of October. Sheesh.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd found out about my job situation earlier, I might would've tried out for JET next year. I just found out Wednesday that my contract isn't going to be renewed in the spring, so I have to start job hunting again. Kinda sucks. Oh well. I guess I just wasn't cut out for eikaiwa work (not of this nature, anyway, where I'm the only teacher and have to do everything) given how small this place is. I work better when I can collaborate with another teacher or in a team-teaching situation, which I've always found to be advantageous. Two heads are better than one. I also think I'd do better in a 9-5 type job (or 8-5) or whatever. Healthwise it'd probably be better for me. I'd also study Japanese more, like I did when I was an ALT before. I had more time to study it, compared to here, where I have to use English practically all the time. Last time, I wasn't in an "English bubble", since I had other teachers to talk with/to who didn't speak English at all. Working here, I'm spoken to in English practically all the time and it's very very encouraged for me to try my best not to use Japanese at all.

That aside,as it's a bit irrelevant to the original topic, I did apply to JET once, back in about...2008 I think it was. I didn't even get to the interviewing process, and I had experience, at the time, working with non-native English speakers as a volunteer assistant language teacher in my hometown, I was recognized for Teacher of the Week at the middle school I used to assistant teach for, I had tutoring experience, I've had Japanese lessons (and a higher level of Japanese back then...I just plain suck now), etc.

There are some who managed to get in with practically no experience. As some have said, seems to be a real crapshoot. No one knows why some people manage to get in and why some don't. Why some with experience may get rejected, while those with practically no experience don't. I guess it all depends on the recruiters/interviewers, etc., and their moods. I wish there was a way to know what they fully want.

That aside, everyone has an equal chance, I feel, regardless of one's background/age (unless you're over the age limit). You should go for it. You'll never know unless you try.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
As some have said, seems to be a real crapshoot. No one knows why some people manage to get in and why some don't. Why some with experience may get rejected, while those with practically no experience don't.

It is not a crapshoot. The apps are scored on a set scale: if you didn't get an interview then you didn't score enough points relative to everyone else applying at that location. In most instances it will be because your references and/or SoP weren't good enough - those are the bits with the heaviest individual weighting and the ones that people screw up the most often.

Quote:

I guess it all depends on the recruiters/interviewers, etc., and their moods. I wish there was a way to know what they fully want.

The app tells you exactly what they want. It spells it out in short sentences. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of websites out there that go over the materials and tell you what they're looking for. What more do you want?! The interviews are scored on a set scale. Again, they tell you what they want on the app materials: adaptable & interested people that won't go (or, in more recent years, already are) crazy, and that understand they're not their to Save Japan from itself.

If you know you're going to be looking for a job then why not apply again? Apps aren't out yet (they usually come out in late Oct/early Nov and aren't due until EO Nov (I think). Plenty of time if you're organized. If you want to try & game the system then send the app to one of the less popular locations to try & get the interview.
TWG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangential to the thread...

ssjup81 wrote:
If I'd found out about my job situation earlier, I might would've tried out for JET next year. I just found out Wednesday that my contract isn't going to be renewed in the spring, so I have to start job hunting again. Kinda sucks.

I might be facing the same thing myself this spring. (HQ changes their minds with the direction of the wind.) Been five years here though. Eleven years total in Asia. I might head home to spend some time with family.

Might be an option for you.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to ask the labor standards bureau if it is legal to just stop renewing your contract. I have a vague recollection that after 2-3 years they have to provide a valid reason.

Look at the April 24 Japan Times LIFELINES column by Hifumi Okunuki.
Www.japantimes.com/text/fl20120424lp.html
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to provide a valid reason (technically the burden is on the company). Also, saying that the employee's work performance is poor isn't always considered a valid reason - the idea is that, if the employee's performance really were poor, they would have fired the employee before.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
I have a vague recollection that after 2-3 years they have to provide a valid reason.

It's 3 years.

If they can point to "changes in the nature of work" or "financial considerations" then they're able to do it reasonably easily. So, if they give a promotion during those three years it re-sets the clock (beware promotions just before your contract expires!) and if they want to cook the books they can pretty easily. I know of one dispatch company that has (had?) the contracts bounce between two holding companies year on year (ie. your employer officially changed each year) so they can get rid of people without problems. I thought that was an interesting way of handling it. Unethical, but interesting from an ER standpoint.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the numbers of new hires for JET as of late? Curious is all, as with how the economy is, and the fact that other teaching jobs suck in pay wise, lots of people are staying with JET as long as possible.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
ssjup81 wrote:
As some have said, seems to be a real crapshoot. No one knows why some people manage to get in and why some don't. Why some with experience may get rejected, while those with practically no experience don't.

It is not a crapshoot. The apps are scored on a set scale: if you didn't get an interview then you didn't score enough points relative to everyone else applying at that location. In most instances it will be because your references and/or SoP weren't good enough - those are the bits with the heaviest individual weighting and the ones that people screw up the most often.
I really wasn't referring to that, as far as I was concerned. I was thinking along the lines of others who have gone through the entire process just to get rejected in the end. I assumed that it was probably my SoP that didn't get me an interview since I had experience and decent references, at the time, and better language skills.
Quote:
Quote:

I guess it all depends on the recruiters/interviewers, etc., and their moods. I wish there was a way to know what they fully want.
The app tells you exactly what they want. It spells it out in short sentences. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of websites out there that go over the materials and tell you what they're looking for. What more do you want?! The interviews are scored on a set scale. Again, they tell you what they want on the app materials: adaptable & interested people that won't go (or, in more recent years, already are) crazy, and that understand they're not their to Save Japan from itself.
But, you really can't predict an interview or the interviewer you have. For example, you could interview with one person who feels you're a good candidate, whereas another could feel that you're not.
Quote:
If you know you're going to be looking for a job then why not apply again? Apps aren't out yet (they usually come out in late Oct/early Nov and aren't due until EO Nov (I think). Plenty of time if you're organized. If you want to try & game the system then send the app to one of the less popular locations to try & get the interview.
I kinda like the area I'm in, but I could try again...if I have the time. This job takes up a lot of my time, even on my days off. I'm actually working right now. Also, I'd have to check again, but don't you have to do the interviews in your home country? I'm in Japan. Even if I could manage to get all the info I needed and mailed in and get to the interviewing process, wouldn't I have to go back home to do it? For me, the closest consulate to my hometown would be Washington DC.

That aside, I'm networking and keeping my eye out for jobs in a general sense. At least I have a three-year work visa, so at least I can legally stay here and look for work. I really should go back to ALT work, I feel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TWG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
At least I have a three-year work visa, so at least I can legally stay here and look for work.

Current laws say you need to tell Immigration within 14 days about a change of employment, IIRC. Then you need to convince the fickle suckers to let you keep it*. I suppose you can try to keep it quiet and then try to explain to them when renewal time comes along.

*At least, that's what the guy at Immi told me through broken English.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of others who have gone through the entire process just to get rejected in the end.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's two distinct stages for recruiting. Getting the interview and then passing the interview. If someone screws up the interview they're not going to get hired. That's the same as any job anywhere. & trust me, I've seen some amazingly bad interviews!

Not directed at you in particular, but I'm constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement of so many people about how they "deserve" to be on JET or how, because they didn't get on it (or did, in some cases!) it must be a crapshoot. These days, the process is regimented to the point that if you don't get on then it's your own fault for not doing well enough at stage. It's a systematic interview process (in most countries) and generally tries to follow HR best practice these days. Variation and poor interviewers? Sure there are some. But that's hardly surprising given the organization is interviewing thousands of people all over the world every year.

The only crapshoot part is how many places there will be available and where your interview score places you on the rankings.

Now, GBB disagrees with me on this. He is quite angry about parts of the JET programme, which I can understand - there're parts of it that anooy the hell out of me too - but I think he's wrong in this area.

Quote:
I assumed that it was probably my SoP that didn't get me an interview since I had experience and decent references, at the time, and better language skills.

So why call it a crapshoot? Would you do that with other jobs you'd applied to? It's bizarre IMO. Smile
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWG: Well, my contract doesn't end until March 31, 2013 (or something like that). I knew there were changes, but didn't know that there was a possibility that I could lose my visa.

G Cthulhu wrote:
Quote:
I assumed that it was probably my SoP that didn't get me an interview since I had experience and decent references, at the time, and better language skills.
So why call it a crapshoot? Would you do that with other jobs you'd applied to? It's bizarre IMO. Smile
But as I said, I wasn't really referring to myself...I was thinking along the lines of those who have gone through the entire process. I guess I didn't convey that very well. To some, it could be a "real crapshoot". So in that regard, I wasn't really referring to myself, but as I said earlier, I didn't convey that very well.
Lyrajean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 33, single white female American when I got into JET. Stayed 4 years, would have stayed 5 if they let me. Stupid health issues got in the way...

Anyways, if you are reasonably healthy, interested in teaching EFL in Japan please apply. I met several 30 somethings when I went over. There was a 36 year old in our "batch". She stayed 5 years.

2 things to consider: don't count on being placed in any particular part of the country. The only things they seem to consider seriously when doing placements are family, and sister city/state relationships.

Secondly, think about what you are going to do for a social life if you are not interested in going out and getting bombed with a bunch of 20 somethings every weekend. there will be some socializing with co-workers, but you don't want to rely on this for your well-being. Learning some Japanese is more important for you than everyone else. It helps with the application too. Also the keep in mind the dating scene is not as favorable to western women as men.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyrajean wrote:
2 things to consider: don't count on being placed in any particular part of the country. The only things they seem to consider seriously when doing placements are family, and sister city/state relationships.

Oh, thanks for that tidbit! Much as I would want to try a colder climate I'm still gunning for a sister city in particular.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
What are the numbers of new hires for JET as of late? Curious is all, as with how the economy is, and the fact that other teaching jobs suck in pay wise, lots of people are staying with JET as long as possible.
http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/introduction/statistics.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: