Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET - Hmm...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: JET - Hmm... Reply with quote

maggietulliver wrote:
Do they generally choose young, fit go-getters? Or would they be willing to give a 33 year old Australian woman with an MA (TESOL) a look in??

Apply! The JET Programme can be great!

I left for Japan and the JET Programme in July, 2007. I had just turned 34 and completed my MA in TESOL in May of that same year.

I ended up staying the full five years and left in July, 2012, at the "ripe, old age of 39" Arrow Arrow I wasn't even the oldest in my prefecture! I was the fourth oldest! There was a 44 year old, a 43 year old, and a 40 year old ahead of me.

I taught in a rural high school for my first two years, transferred to a higher level suburban high school with a special track English program for the next two years, and I then became the Prefectural Advisor in my fifth year, working in the prefectural government offices with the Prefectural Board of Education, advising ALTs on issues related to life in Japan and teaching, and leading committees that organized conferences, trainings, and publications.

P.S. Lyrajean and I were at the same Tokyo Orientation! Very Happy

So again, I would recommend that you submit an application by the November deadline and just see what happens! Good luck with it all.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: