Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: What would you do Reply with quote

...If you accepted an offer, came to work here, and the job conditions and everything were totally different than what was agreed on?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mambawamba



Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the grubby world of ESL in China.

If you are currently physically and mentally in a safe environment and OK to be in China then stay and look for other work. All jobs are fluid here.

If you are in any danger whatsoever get the hell out.

Mamba
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm safe they are just LIARS.

All jobs are fluid? Do you mean that if I have the work permit and residence permit that I don't have to be chained down with this school that sponsored it (which isn't where they have me working anyways, so...)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreatApe



Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Posts: 422
Location: South of Heaven and East of Nowhere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really not enough information provided in the OP to make more of a suggestion than what mambawamba posted above.

It's certainly not surprising to hear that you've found yourself in a working situation which is nothing like what was written and stipulated in the contract. This happens all the time ... it's nothing new.

Re-evaluate, reassess and continue to look for jobs which will improve your situation. Without a better idea of where you are and how you are qualified, it's difficult to give much more than general advice.

Good Luck!

--GA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zactherat



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 295

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the job conditions and everything were totally different than what was agreed on


Can you outline some of the differences between the contract you signed and the reality of your job?

This would help us to speculate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonomi wrote:
...if I have the work permit and residence permit that I don't have to be chained down with this school that sponsored it (which isn't where they have me working anyways, so...)?


This is the information I am seeking. Is it really necessary to reveal my CV and detailed facts about current situation in order to get this question answered?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rogerwilco



Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonomi wrote:
Nonomi wrote:
...if I have the work permit and residence permit that I don't have to be chained down with this school that sponsored it (which isn't where they have me working anyways, so...)?


This is the information I am seeking. Is it really necessary to reveal my CV and detailed facts about current situation in order to get this question answered?


Yes, you are more or less "chained" to that school for your work permit until you can find another school to sponsor you.
Changing schools can be difficult though because you need a letter of recommendation/release from your current school.


Last edited by rogerwilco on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3325
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonomi wrote:
Nonomi wrote:
...if I have the work permit and residence permit that I don't have to be chained down with this school that sponsored it (which isn't where they have me working anyways, so...)?


This is the information I am seeking. Is it really necessary to reveal my CV and detailed facts about current situation in order to get this question answered?


no.....but as we all know there are two coins to every side. many times
you'll read a post similar to yours and then find OP is teaching on a tourist
visa, or OP is 18 and will be graduating high school soon, or OP didn't read
the contract before signing, or contract states "additional duties as required,"
or OP and management disagree on the meaning of "furnished," and so on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rogerwilco Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:

no.....but as we all know there are two coins to every side. many times
you'll read a post similar to yours and then find OP is teaching on a tourist
visa, or OP is 18 and will be graduating high school soon, or OP didn't read
the contract before signing, or contract states "additional duties as required,"
or OP and management disagree on the meaning of "furnished," and so on.


I know, some details of the story are important. Just that I notice that often on these boards there is pressure to disclose personal information such as education and professional qualifications when it's not really necessary. I chalk it up to people just bein' nosy much of the time, because it's not so often necessary to know all that stuff.


Last edited by Nonomi on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rogerwilco



Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonomi wrote:


I know, some details of the story are important. Just that I notice that often on these boards there is pressure to disclose personal information such as education and professional qualifications when it's not really necessary. I chalk it up to people just bein' nosy much of the time, because it's not so often necessary to know all that stuff.

I will say that what was in the contract was a single, furnished, liveable apartment and what I got was a small room in the already small apartment of one of the Chinese teachers at the school. The job I agreed to was full-time lead kindergarten teacher with my own classroom, training in their methods provided. And my job so far has been to teach her and someone in her family. Fulltime. Nothing else. Have not set foot into a school although they drove by it one day (allegedly?) and told me it closed due to a construction problem. As soon as it opened I was supposed to go there. Then they told me that it's too far anyway and I can't go there to teach because taking the bus would take 4 hours. Eventually they admitted that this is it, this is the job they brought me here to do. They want full immersion for this family because next year they are going to Canada to open a branch there for Chinese families in a certain city.

There. That's the story. NOT on a tourist visa, not 18, yes the contract does say additional duties clause but...I mean...it also says that i would be a lead kindergarten teacher and that it cannot be revised or altered without mutual consent. It says a lot of things and they are clearly in the wrong. I'm losing it a little bit. Their dishonesty and manipulations are ***STUNNING***


Your story seems very familiar. Maybe another member can remember which previous thread stated the same scenario.

I feel that your employee has violated the letter and the spirit of your contract, and that you should feel free to leave without any guilt.

Several years ago I started work at a school that had lied to me, and violated many aspects of the contract, so I left.
What I did was to fly to the Philippines, and then start working the internet to find a new job. Since I was outside China, I did not need a release letter from the previous school.
It took about 3 weeks, but I was able to find a better job. The school stated on the paperwork that I would apply for my Z visa in the Philippines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:


Your story seems very familiar. Maybe another member can remember which previous thread stated the same scenario.

I feel that your employee has violated the letter and the spirit of your contract, and that you should feel free to leave without any guilt.

Several years ago I started work at a school that had lied to me, and violated many aspects of the contract, so I left.
What I did was to fly to the Philippines, and then start working the internet to find a new job. Since I was outside China, I did not need a release letter from the previous school.
It took about 3 weeks, but I was able to find a better job. The school stated on the paperwork that I would apply for my Z visa in the Philippines.


That is encouraging thank you. Ticket in hand as of a few minutes ago.

I know now that the school has done this same thing before, with a young British man, maybe others. With the UK guy, they even had the audacity to charge him rent!

Why doesn't the US embassy help in these situations? Their response to me was: just leave. Other states help their citizens when they are being mistreated abroad by employers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinadad



Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 291
Location: chengdu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you write - and you're truly hating your experience - then waste as little time as possible with these people!!!
This situation is obviously totally wrong - being forced to live with a manipulative employer in a country far away from a network of close contacts, like family and friends, is a potentially scary experience. Try to make sure these people don't get their hands on your passport - give them no hint on any plans to get out - and start to make your own immediate plan of where you will run to (check up on rail timetables, foreigner friendly tourist destinations where it will be easy to check into hostels - and maybe find the foreign contacts who can give more that just written advice). Being made to live with these people, obviously brings in an element of threat - but you can best judge from your side whether the employer will start to be abusive if they learn that you plan to leave. 99% of the abuse handed out to FT's by dissatisfied employers amounts to empty threats, usually in the nature of being reported to the Police for some fictional immigration crime - but even so, not having the luxury of being able to get away to calm and nuetrality of your own place sounds ugly.
Have you asked for your own apartment - have you made any other attempts to make them change your situation - if so, how do they react?????

If you're anywhere near Chengdu then PM me and i can sort out transport and refuge to get you out of their grasp - if in another location then I'm sure another member of the forum, who lives close by, will be able to give practical help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nonomi



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadad wrote:
From what you write - and you're truly hating your experience - then waste as little time as possible with these people!!!
This situation is obviously totally wrong - being forced to live with a manipulative employer in a country far away from a network of close contacts, like family and friends, is a potentially scary experience. Try to make sure these people don't get their hands on your passport - give them no hint on any plans to get out - and start to make your own immediate plan of where you will run to (check up on rail timetables, foreigner friendly tourist destinations where it will be easy to check into hostels - and maybe find the foreign contacts who can give more that just written advice). Being made to live with these people, obviously brings in an element of threat - but you can best judge from your side whether the employer will start to be abusive if they learn that you plan to leave. 99% of the abuse handed out to FT's by dissatisfied employers amounts to empty threats, usually in the nature of being reported to the Police for some fictional immigration crime - but even so, not having the luxury of being able to get away to calm and nuetrality of your own place sounds ugly.
Have you asked for your own apartment - have you made any other attempts to make them change your situation - if so, how do they react?????

If you're anywhere near Chengdu then PM me and i can sort out transport and refuge to get you out of their grasp - if in another location then I'm sure another member of the forum, who lives close by, will be able to give practical help.


Thank you!!! For offering to help with my 'escape.' That makes me feel good!!!!! I have a close friend in another city, and my first destination is her place. From there I will launch a more detailed plan. So I am not totally alone here. And I have my passport. Made sure of that.

There is also a very kind woman whose restaurant I always eat at who has let me use her phone and internet (I never had access to the net for this whole time) and is going to take me to the train station. I 'called out' sick today. They think I'm at the hospital now. I have been planning this carefully. Gonna go back, pretend to sleep, and make my escape under the cover of night. Thank the lord i always pack light. I swear this experience has taken years off of my life. I already look older tireder and puffier than did when I got here.

As for attempts to change things, what I said and what they said, it's a long story. But just trust me the end assessment is they are wicked liars. But they think they are so clever....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zactherat



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 295

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your story seems very familiar. Maybe another member can remember which previous thread stated the same scenario.


Yes! that one in Qingdao! No I don't remember the thread exactly though..

OP thanks for sharing exactly what's going on. If you are in Qingdao too this is probably the same school - if you name and shame in detail then you might save another poor soul the same travails.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC