Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA-ESL in your region.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingBen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: MA-ESL in your region..... Reply with quote

I am graduating next month with my MA-ESL/Applied Linguistics (on campus) from a U.S. university. I currently teach Adult ESL at the university ELI-Intensive Program, and have over 4 years total ESL experience, at home and abroad. I'm interested in Kazakstan and Central Asia but have never been. I've read up on these boards and would like to ask for advice/ suggestions on good uni or contractor jobs in the region. I know it's never a completely smooth ride, but am looking for some of the more dependable, lucrative and professional postings now that I've made the sacrifice of doing this MA. I'm ready to go as of late December. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Central Asia is anything like the Russian Federation, then university work will be anything but lucrative. However, I can tell you what another linguistically inclined gentleman did. He got a contract with a local university (in Siberia): they gave him about 6 or maybe 8 hours work a week in exchange for the usual pitiful local rate of pay but also for his employment visa. As long as he fulfilled his university work successfully, nothing stopped him doing other things on top. Most people go in for private work with individuals, although there is nothing to stop you approaching companies in the area and training their employees (for international communication).

Alternatively you could try to get direct employment with a company. They would have to offer you a proper employment visa, not a business visa. Personally, I would go for the university route as you would become well-known quicker and a variety of gigs would be available. I don't know, though; if the offer from the individual company was good enough..

In either case, do spend some time preparing your resume and, if going the company route, do some research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: