Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching options in Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichibum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Teaching options in Japan Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have been using this board for quite some time but have never posted. My wife and I have been living and working in China for the past 6 years, but are contemplating a change in the near future. Our ideal place to move to is Japan, but my wife is concerned about job opportunities there. She would prefer to work at a private, public or international school. If someone with experience could look over her qualifications and give me an idea of the kind of jobs she would be able to qualify for I would really appreciate it. She needs to hear from someone other than me that she will not be jobless and destitute in Japan. Also, if anyone has questions about teaching and living in China feel free to ask.

Her qualifications:

B.A. in Education from UC Davis
M.A. in Education with a concentration in Deaf Education
California Elementary Teaching Credential
Carden USA Educational Foundation Teaching Certificate
1 year of head teaching experience in the US
2 years of assistant teaching experience in the US
6 years of head teaching experience at a private boarding school in Beijing, elementary level.
2 years of Experience as Kindergarten Curriculum Director for private boarding school in Beijing

Thanks a lot everyone.

taichibum
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public schools are for ALTs. She's qualified, but would she want to be second banana? Experiences vary from practically running the class to being a human tape recorder.

Private schools don't advertise much publicly. She's also qualified, and she wouldn't necessarily be an ALT. More likely (as was my experience), she would be a solo teacher. If it's FT work, trust me: she'll be VERY busy, teaching, working on committees, and doing sports assisting after classes.

Sounds like she has enough experience for international schools, too. Probably her best choice. I think they start the academic year in the fall like their western counterparts, so you can kiss this fall goodbye.
taichibum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think an international school would be the best choice. Do you think it is best to apply directly to international schools or to attend a job fair? Since we are in Beijing, attending a job fair is not very convenient since most of them take place in the States, Canada or UK. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: