Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salary in Moscow - prince or pauper?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: salary in Moscow - prince or pauper? Reply with quote

Greetings. Advice a-seeking on a possible move to Moscow. I've been offered a job (Business English, in companies, with blocks of time set aside for privates in my own time) and I want to know how the salary looks. In a nutshell it would be between 60,000RR TO 80,000RR. I know, I know - these are based on a minimum guarantee of hours and a maximum. Looking at, presumably, 65,000odd RR pcm with a few privates thrown in, how well off would that leave me? Any thoughts much appreciated.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on a number of things, most importantly whether they provide you with accommodation or not. If they do, you'd be doing fairly well. 65000RUB is a little over 2000USD. If they don't provide accommodation, then you'd be looking at having about 1000USD left over every month after you've paid your rent.

The other thing you need to find out is where your classes will take place, and how much time they're giving you hold private lessons, and when those times occur. Peak teaching times here are in the morning (~800-1000), and in the evening after 1800. In between there won't be very many classes to be had, except mostly for some children or teenagers starting at about 1500. You might get lucky and find a businessman who wants to have lessons over their lunch break, but I wouldn't count on it.

As for prices in Moscow, here's a quick breakdown of what you might expect when you get here:

Rent in a studio apartment: ~1000USD/month (30000RUB)

Beer in a bar: ~6-10 USD (180-300RUB) Cheaper is available if you know where to look

Meal in a proper restaurant: 15USD minimum (500RUB)

Food from the supermarket: 50-100USD/week (1500-3000RUB)

Phone bill: 500-1000RUB/month

Internet: 500RUB/month

Metro: 1700RUB/month (cheaper if you buy multiple months at a time)
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Some good advice there.... Reply with quote

A big headache and expense in Moscow is accomodation:for under 30.000 roubles per month(1000 U.S.) it is almost impossible to find even a very basic Soviet-style studio anywhere nowadays-even then it is a real hassle unless you speak Russian or have a Russian friend who can use a local agency or has contacts with landlords etc,rather than the ones which deal with foreigners and charge high prices,dealing mainly in more upmarket accom. for expats with high wages and expene accounts etc.The market is largely unregulated,demand is high and quality does not always control the prices landlords ask!The area,facilities nearby such as a metro station are equally important and from a personal viewpoint you want to live as near as possible to where you will be working because of the horrendous crush-hours on public transport and the time wasted in commuting-and rememember what kindof weather you will be facing! facing!Inevitably you will have to pay an extra months rent up-front as a deposit and probably an agents commission if the firm does not supply you with accom.The trouble is that the firms who do tend to offer only a room in a shared appartment with strangers and pay the lowest salaries,so for me this is a no-no!!If you have your own accom it puts you at an advantage in being able to earn more,but beware of the pitfalls...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As salaries go for newcomers that is not a bad one. However, I'd beware of promises of time set aside for privates,as already mentioned. This is a regular trick, used by IPT, for instance, to inveigle fresh recruits. The reality is that the school will demand your prime time for themselves (evenings and early mornings) leaving you with the dead-zone in the afternoon for any privates you may or may not be able to find for those unproductive times.

Another trick to be on guard against is the hiring of a teacher as a full-time member of the teaching staff, only to downgrade that teacher to part-time status, with the resulting reduction in hours and benefits.

Depending on the school, I'd say go for it. Feel free to PM if you wish to add or get more detail in private.

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: