Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nottingham-Ningbo thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robenhiano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone who has factual work experience from the University of Nottingham Ningbo ready to tell us the truth?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to choudoufu Reply with quote

Robenhiano wrote:
choudoufu,

Do you have any reason in specific to believe that University of Nottingham Ningbo is a safe and good place?

do you have any reason to believe it's NOT safe?

these teachers are pulling down US$80,000 per year (if may calculations
are correct), plus free apartment and real expat insurance for their families.

one could surmise they're vacationing at st. moritz, hence the broken
legses from skiing accidents. (psss....look up 'surmise.)

not to be confused with A-Helena, but you have a post count of under
ten. who are you? why are you pushing the story that ningbo is a bad
deal? what is your infatuation with "the truth" about ningbo?

one could surmise (there's that word again!)........... Rolling Eyes
Robenhiano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard some very bad things about this university. I might be naive, but I happen to believe in them, and want to warn people from going there. Especially people like you whoseem to believe it's Gold. That's my reason for writing what I do here. What is your reason for writing what you write, choudoufu?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No Reply with quote

Robenhiano wrote:
....your critique of how I was arguing, and was now wondering whether your skepticism purely was a reaction to my way or arguing......

huh? you were arguing? you've simply cutted and pasteded a bunch
of internet rumours.

why?

i know nothing of ningbo. apparently neither do you.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right! got it! shoulda seen it coming.

lemme guess............

now you're going to tell us the story of how the chinese foreign teachers
onion solved all your problems. and you're coincidentally going to do
some "research" and find them on the STFU blacklist. and you're going
to give us some links. is that about right?

...........bro, this is getting old.
Robenhiano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "chinese foreign teachers union"? "Old", like how?

Coudn't we please try to stick to arguing about the case?
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robenhiano"]
Denim-Maniac wrote:
It sounds a little like a bunch of pampered, overpaid politically correct university lecturers have found themselves in Ningbo and expect everything to run in the exact same way it does in the UK.

So you suggest that those who work at a British University in China must expect getting disabled from some broken bones, getting no or small compensation and that this and the bad conditions are supported by false investigations from the university in UK? Who are you - a top manager at University of Nottingham?

I was responding to this quote you posted ...

"The place is under Chinese law but according to some people I spoke to they do not even follow these laws. It's total anarchy and the managers there do what they wish without running the risk that anything happens to them. It's a lawless place."

Which for those of us who have been in China for any length of time, know is just pretty standard. Like it or not ... this is China. My comment is that that quote sounds like it is from somone who expects all the cultural values and working practices of the UK to still exist in NingBo ... and I dont think that is realistic TBH.

Never been to NingBo ... know nothing about the employer except they pay lots ... but know enough about China to know the things in the quote posted are nothing out of the ordinary. I meet too many foreigners who come here and moan a lot about just about everything ... it grates sometimes.
Robenhiano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to think that disability is something very serious. To cover up for the bad environment that the Ningbo campus offers, by offering biased grievance investigations is also very serious
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robenhiano wrote:
I have heard some very bad things about this university. I might be naive, but I happen to believe in them, and want to warn people from going there.

no personal experience? internet rumours?

Robenhiano wrote:
...stick to arguing about the case...

haha. what "case?"
muffintop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robenhiano wrote:
I happen to think that disability is something very serious. To cover up for the bad environment that the Ningbo campus offers, by offering biased grievance investigations is also very serious

Would you care to go into detail about this 'bad environment' in which FT's are apparently breaking limbs and requiring disability?

You have dodged this question more than once. This is not helping your credibility.

Also...please learn what a fallacy is. You said it's an unsafe place to work. The onus is on you to support such a position and you have not done so. Not even a little. Instead you try to make the argument about whether or not disability is serious. Another fallacy.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Ningbo. I know quite a few people who work there, or have in the past. Some people I respect have a bad opinion of the place, some others I respect enjoy working there.

None of them has ever mentioned any of this dangerous place to work stuff.

Of course, health insurance and working in a safe environment is an important part of any work contract. Very often schools say that their packages include health insurance, but when you look at exactly what they're offering, it amounts to very little. I've risk assessed work places in Britain that looked very modern and safe, but are actually very dangerous places to work. I wouldn't want to minimise these factors.

But this thread has gone in a ridiculous direction. As I understand it, the way that people have to teach is quite prescriptive, and some people feel that there are major management problems. There certainly seems to be a management or work culture that some people may have problems with. The work load is high.

Clearly if people are thinking of working there, they should carefully consider what questions they ask.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband worked there, we were very, very happy to leave.

He says it was a normal EAP job that was devalued by passing everyone at the end of the year. Nothing special, nothing new.

@choudoufu the teachers are seriously not making $80,000 a year. In 2009 the wage was 20,000 RMB a month with 6000 RMB for a family accommodation allowance, 4000 RMB for singles. The free accommodation is on campus staff apartments or (shudder) the Staff Hotel.

The main problem was, and by all accounts still is, management. All decisions have to be cleared in the UK so there's a delayed response to everything.

The campus was actually pretty nice, apart from the fact it was built on swampland and the lake in the middle was home to Ningbo's entire mosquito population.
Bandaid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: How it is to work at UNNC, University of Nottingham Ningbo Reply with quote

I recommend people to stay away from this place. The campus is an unhealthy and unsafe place, in terms of, for instance, very slipery floors, lack of fire alarms, inappropriate temperatures etc. A few staff members each year get hurt while working, some of them so badly so that they are (completely or partially) disabled. The management does not follow work safety or work insurance laws, which means that the injured/disabled staff members will get no compensation or pension, which they are entitled to according to Chinese law.

It is, of course, possible to compalin, but the grievances that the employees submit are investigated in a very biased way, in support of the management. These investigations are conducted by managers at University of Nottingham in UK or at UNNC. Thus, the management at this University can traet their staff members in any way they prefer, and no one can successfully protest...

People claim that we should accept that this is China and that we cannot expect the same standard as in the UK. However, the University is very rich (the students pay 80,000 RMB per year), and many of the managers are British (and get support from UN UK by biased grievance investigations and by "silent support").

The least one could ask for before accepting a job offer here is to be informed that the University doesn't follow the Chinese laws and that you have no chance to be really listened to in case you complain. At least those who got hurt here regret that they ever put their foot at UNNC or got involved with the University of Nottingham in the first Place...
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in learning more and possibly sending a resume to them in time for the 2014-2015 school year beginning next August/September.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
I'd be interested in learning more and possibly sending a resume to them in time for the 2014-2015 school year beginning next August/September.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

I thought the same ... but wet floors? No way. That put me right off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: