Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examiner Rejection & Qualifications
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strike_Back_Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: IELTS Examiner Rejection & Qualifications Reply with quote

So the shortlisting for the February Intake has ended and it appears that my application has been rejected. (I haven't yet received a rejection letter, but I've heard that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted). Was interested in hearing from others who applied and received / didn't receive interviews.

The minimum professional requirements (according to their website) include: 1.) an undergraduate degree, 2.) a TEFL or TESOL Qualification from a recognized institution or EFL/ESOL related studies completed as part of an undergraduate course / post graduate award course, 3.) a minimum of 3 years full-time teaching experience to adults (16 and over), 4.) the required professional attributes and professional skills.

My qualifications are as follows: 1.) A B.A. in Philosophy from a top 50 USA university, 2.) a CELTA earned in 2010 3.) 4 years teaching experience in China at government universities and in training schools including Wall Street English (all completed after my CELTA course).

I should also add that the BC requires a solid reference that is submitted along with the application.

I understand that having the minimum professional requirements does not automatically qualify one for the interview, but I do believe that I am sufficiently qualified for the position. The standard application form also requires that applicants comment on personal experience and ideology, though I feel that this part was rather straightforward and not very abstruse.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone out there could provide some kind of explanation or insight as to why my application was rejected. Thanks for reading and all comments are welcome.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: IELTS Examiner Rejection & Qualifications Reply with quote

Strike_Back_Frank wrote:
My qualifications are as follows: 1.) A B.A. in Philosophy from a top 50 USA university, 2.) a CELTA earned in 2010 3.) 4 years teaching experience in China at government universities and in training schools including Wall Street English (all completed after my CELTA course).

I understand that having the minimum professional requirements does not automatically qualify one for the interview, but I do believe that I am sufficiently qualified for the position.

You apparently only met the minimum and not most of the following desired experience and qualifications (per their ad):

- International work experience
- Materials development/writing experience
- 2+ years’ experience as an IELTS examiner
- IELTS examiners with last 2 PSN monitoring results to ‘standard’
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of interest.
Are you appointed (if successful) to a specific British Council testing centre?
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB Frank,

Not everyone can win.

Another Revelation: Life Is Not Always Fair. Perhaps the person making the decision liked something about another person's application and your application didn't strike a chord. That happens. I know little about the job requirements, but I'll assume that you're qualified.

I recommend that you not put all your bananas on one boat. You can't bank on one job application in China or anywhere else in the world. There are too many people clawing their way to the top of the dung heap.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many people clawing their way to the top of the dung heap.

So young, so cynical Smile
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
There are too many people clawing their way to the top of the dung heap.

So young, so cynical Smile

Naw, we have to add that the heap of dung was dropped by those at the top. You are fruitlessly climbing only for the next drop to land on your head.
Strike_Back_Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: IELTS Examiner Rejection & Qualifications Reply with quote

@nomad soul

Hey thanks for the reply and yeah I did forget to mention the desirable experience mentioned in the PDF.

So it says "Working Experience in Mainland China." I have over 4 years working experience in Mainland China now.

As for materials development / writing experience: I am published, though there is no place to mention this in their standard application. (They only ask if you've completed a "Conference Paper" in English.

To the third point regarding 2+ years experience as an IELTS examiner -- I think everyone (including myself) wonders how you are supposed to receive an opportunity for a job that requires previous experience at said job? But who knows...perhaps a great deal of the applicants had previous examiner experience.

@OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

I totally agree with your points and understand that this is a rather competitive position...as a result these things are to be expected.

I won't let this hold me down as I'm already on to other other opportunities now!

@Non Sequitur

Yes, I believe you would be posted in either Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, or Chongqing, however you would still be required to travel around the country to different testing centers.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new BC opened in Wuhan, but don't think it quite ready to start examining for IELTS.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strike_Back_Frank wrote:
@nomad soul

So it says "Working Experience in Mainland China." I have over 4 years working experience in Mainland China now.

As for materials development / writing experience: I am published, though there is no place to mention this in their standard application. (They only ask if you've completed a "Conference Paper" in English.

To the third point regarding 2+ years experience as an IELTS examiner -- I think everyone (including myself) wonders how you are supposed to receive an opportunity for a job that requires previous experience at said job? But who knows...perhaps a great deal of the applicants had previous examiner experience.

You seem to only meet that China experience component on their wishlist. (You and who knows how many other foreign teachers in China). Plus, I doubt their desired materials development and writing experience are about being published; it's more likely that they want applicants who have created instructional materials and have taught writing (especially since examiners assess writing). As for the 2+ years of IELTS examiner experience, that's understandable; hiring someone who already possesses that experience is ideal.

Anyway, you might take a look at Examiner Information for their requirements and info on becoming an examiner.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB Frank,

Don't give up. Keep your standards high, but be realistic. Much of the job game (at home and abroad) is a numbers game as well as a word game.

You have to throw enough mud on the wall to get some to stick, and you have to tease your way into consideration with words. Some employers like flowery language; some like cold facts.

Keep trying and keep us informed. You have many responses, so you have a good reason to believe that people care and are willing to help.

Keep Truckin'

Last edited by OhBudPowellWhereArtThou on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, there was a period where a transition took place with all part-timers becoming full-timers. External examiners were recruited because of many part-time examiners already here in China not liking the new contract and choosing to continue teaching instead. These fears, so I hear, have been proven to be generally misplaced, thus far. This was an ideal time to jump onboard the IELTS China train, because there was a shortage.

Due to it being a good job, many of those who transitioned and the externally recruited have chosen to sign further contracts. Therefore, rather than replacing those who have moved on, this recruitment drive appears to be merely filling a few additional positions in line with overall growth forecasts for the coming year.

I would chase the application up. An email won't hurt at this stage. You are preferable to an overseas candidate all things being equal, because you'd be hired on a local contract. Should you not be successful, then no harm in applying next time around.

Many of the post-transition recruited examiners have much more than the minimal qualifications so if you're unwilling or unable to undertake a MA or DELTA whilst you wait for another opportunity, then consider some item writing or test development opportunities in your current institution or further afield. Being certified to examine for some of the Cambridge main suite exams would also be advantageous. Additionally, an extremely thorough (re)application, if you get my drift, would also ensure you're near the top of the interview pile.
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As others have said you probably lost out to people who have examined before. One way to get to examine with the minimum requirements is to get a teaching job at a BC centre anywhere that does IELTS and apply to train up there. You will generally get preference over non BC locals with better qualifications/experience.
Strike_Back_Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nomad soul

You've definitely presented logical points. I'm sure a good majority of the applicants have working experience in Mainland China. As for the materials development I've published a short IELTS guidance manual and this was mentioned in my application. I do however lack formal writing instruction so perhaps that contributed to my rejection. I think the last point (examining experience) is the most crucial. I believe applicants with examining experience and superior qualifications (e.g. DELTA / MA TESOL + examining experience) present a far more compelling portfolio than applicants like myself.

Thanks for your comments and perspective!

@OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

Totally on board with your suggestions as well. I do need to be more realistic in assessing the competition and probably take more steps to make my application more competitive for the next round. I will no doubt keep you guys updated with any progress moving forward. Thanks man!

@Elicit

Thanks so much for your interesting insights. I had heard about the recent transition though I didn't know if they changes were well-received among previous examiners.

According to their email correspondence, they have had a flood of applications (so it appears the interest in the position has far from died down). They mentioned how they had extended the deadline from November 27th almost until the New Year simply so that they could gather completed applications from applicants who were unable to submit their application and reference forms on time.

I will see about contacting the BC as per the reason for my rejection, though they will be busy with interviews and such during the week so I'm not sure when I might expect a reply.

In the meantime I'm also considering furthering my qualifications -- I honestly never thought I would need a DELTA in this field, but perhaps it could be helpful experience that opens new doors. I will also consider examining for the other batch of exams.

Your comments have been very helpful.

@Bograt

This is an excellent suggestion, though I've heard that the BC only hires language assistants in China? If anyone has more information on this I'd be glad to hear about it. In any case I will be looking at new schools for the coming summer.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see about contacting the BC as per the reason for my rejection, though they will be busy with interviews and such during the week so I'm not sure when I might expect a reply.

As a former recruitment consultant can I suggest approaching it a little more obliquely.
If you can get someone to talk to and that's far from assured, ask 'How can I improve my application'.
I've mentioned elsewhere that a new BC office is opening in Wuhan.
Might be a ruse to state I'm particularly interested in positions based in that city.
'Why?'
'Personal reasons'
I would never enquire further in the face of a Personal Reasons response.
Never ask for a job. Always ask for job information.
Best
NS
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strike_Back_Frank wrote:

I didn't know if they changes were well-received among previous examiners.

In the meantime I'm also considering furthering my qualifications -- I honestly never thought I would need a DELTA in this field, but perhaps it could be helpful experience that opens new doors.

The changes were not well-received by many, perhaps with reason as other threads testify. That said, those who remain are generally happy.

As for the DELTA, although an MA TESOL / Applied Linguistics may be more relevant to the role, especially with elective modules on language assessment and testing, it's the BC and they LOVE the DELTA, for obvious reasons. From experience, it would also open doors in the worldwide BC network; whereas, an MA would not be as useful for this purpose.

Keep at it and the best of luck with this and any further applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: