Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardest part of the DELTA course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^bumped

Many thanks for your highly helpful advice, smedini.

I am considering a Delta and if I decide to go all in on that endeavor, I would prefer to do a full-time intensive course. I am currently looking at CELT Athens, Clic IH Seville, and IH Newcastle.

twowheel
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped again

twowheel wrote:
I would prefer to do a full-time intensive course. I am currently looking at CELT Athens, Clic IH Seville, and IH Newcastle.

twowheel

Did you go for it? I'm in a similar frame of mind and Celt Athens have a few intensive options during the year which would suit me.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone considering working in the Middle East it might be worth studying everything in your home country if you can. Employers generally look for degrees and certs issued in your home country or in an anglophone country...
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
For anyone considering working in the Middle East it might be worth studying everything in your home country if you can. Employers generally look for degrees and certs issued in your home country or in an anglophone country...

As far as I'm aware, certain countries in the Middle East (e.g. Saudi Arabia) don't recognise distance/online degrees, so I presume that would extend to doing the distance Delta?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

As far as I'm aware, certain countries in the Middle East (e.g. Saudi Arabia) don't recognise distance/online degrees, so I presume that would extend to doing the distance Delta?

Right. Better to do the intensive somewhere.
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:

Right. Better to do the intensive somewhere.

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards - for a number of reasons.

Any opinions on preparation for an intensive Delta? How much is necessary/beneficial?

From what I've figured out, the bulk of the intensive is focused on module 2, as that's what you're assessed on during the course. Modules 1 and 3 are assessed after the course, so you'll probably have time to further prepare for 1 and 3 assessments after the course has ended.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met many teachers who have completed individual modules of the DELTA, normally one or three and sometimes both, and all say that they will get around to doing module two... someday. Having to up-sticks for six weeks and do module two isn't ideal for many, so I also see the positives of just doing the intensive eight week option.

Logistically, it may be easier for me to do the Trinity Dip TESOL instead. From what I've read they are viewed as equivalent; however, I have met only one teacher with a Dip TESOL and tens of teachers with DELTA or individual modules thereof. Is it merely the brand name that matters here? Will employers actually lean toward the DELTA because it only has two syllables?

I would be willing to compromise the extra time, travel, and money associated with me personally completing the DELTA, if there is any chance of an advantage via recognisability or otherwise. I have a CELTA if that makes any difference. Any advice would be much appreciated.

If the consensus is equal in every respect then does anybody know if EF China's Dip TESOL course is open to any practicing teacher or is it just for those super-beings currently employed by EF?
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not gone for it, but it very much remains in the back of my mind. I am in the middle of a one-year sabbatical and am considering ways of upping my credentials when I re-emerge from this break.

The full-time intensive course at CELT Athens does remain very attractive to me.

twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
Any opinions on preparation for an intensive Delta? How much is necessary/beneficial?

My intention would be to do as much of the recommended reading before the intensive course begins. I would also go into the intensive course with a firm idea of a paper topic at the ready for Module 3.

twowheel
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit, the Trinity Dip TESOL would be fine to do if easier for you. Great qualification to have..
CKM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
I have not gone for it, but it very much remains in the back of my mind. I am in the middle of a one-year sabbatical and am considering ways of upping my credentials when I re-emerge from this break.

The full-time intensive course at CELT Athens does remain very attractive to me.

twowheel

twowheel wrote:
My intention would be to do as much of the recommended reading before the intensive course begins. I would also go into the intensive course with a firm idea of a paper topic at the ready for Module 3.

twowheel

Thanks for the replies. In a similar situation myself and thinking along the same lines. CELT Athens does indeed look like a good option.

Elicit wrote:
From what I've read they are viewed as equivalent

I briefly considered the Trinity Dip instead of the Delta, but it has always struck me as not having the same 'recognition' as the Delta - both in terms of familiarity (that probably differs depending on which part of the world you're in) and the perceived calibre of it compared to the Delta. Just to stress, I'm talking about (misguided perhaps) opinions/perceptions from other teachers.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools ask for either qualification and they are both equivalent according to UK academic standards. If the Trinity Dip is more convenient I wouldn't worry myself..
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions.

As it turns out, EF China's Trinity diploma course is only for their teachers and not open to all, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm left with DELTA modules one and three, whilst module two will need to be put on the bucket list.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still considering--the DELTA remains attractive to me for personal and professional reasons, and I feel that it fits into a "right here, right now" scheme for me.

Just thinking out loud:

--Back in America this August and early September and do the preliminary reading then as well as consider a Module 3 topic
--Head to a place around mid to late September to do an 8~9 week intensive course; I remain fixated on celt in Athens, Greece and clic/IH in Seville, Spain
--Take Module 1 exam in early December
--Back in America for Christmas with family
--2018--head back out into the great wide open with DELTA Modules 1, 2, and 3 in hand?

I like the sound of it. We'll see if this actually comes to fruition. I am talking the talk. We'll see if I actually walk the DELTA walk.

Cool

Any further anecdotes from those who have completed any DELTA modules or are considering doing so?

twowheel
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my module 1, and I will probably/possibly do module 3 this year. Like everyone else, taking time off for 2 will be the problem. IH ran a 6 week mod 2 here (Ecuador) last year, but it was in a different town, and I'm not in a position to disappear off for 6 weeks.

The distance/onsite distinction is irrelevant. The courses for 1 & 3 are independent of the qualification. Anyone can offer a prep course for 1 or 3. The only official part is the exam (1) and the project submission (3). The certificates don't say whether you studied distance or on campus, since the studying part of it isn't official. When you have all 3 module certificates you trade them in for a final single Delta certificate, so there is nothing to tell an employer how you studied.

Also, of the people I know who have done an intensive course, none of them got mod 3 done while they were there. They all went in with good intentions, but it seems like it's just time consuming for most people to get it 2 & 3 done together. That's why I decided against doing an intensive in the end. If that's important to you, I would ask any potential school how many students actually get all 3 done while they are there.

Last edited by HLJHLJ on Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: