Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardest part of the DELTA course?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ HLJHLJ,

Many thanks for sharing your experience and insight.

Reading others' accounts of their DELTA experiences, I have gleaned that as well: usually in an intensive course, people finish Module 1 and 2 and get started on Module 3 but complete it at a later time (if at all). It seems that very few finish all three during the intensive course timeframe.

Quote:
I would ask any potential school how much students actually get all 3 done while they are there.

I agree with this and I would ask about this. I would be curious to see how school representatives would answer this question.

twowheel
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the module one exam booked for June 7th.

No language awareness revision done. Gave up on the Delta Quizlet cards when one told me Harmer had first established speech acts as the smallest units of discourse analysis. There was me believing it was Sinclair and Coulthard in the 1970s with their analysis of classroom discourse.

Done some how to take the module one exam reading though. Hoping that'll see me through.
Dave Rochester

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't stress the Module One exam - remember you only need 50% for a pass...
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:

Best of luck with that, Elicit. Do let us know how it goes. I will be all ears in hearing about it, as...

...I am thinking that I may be a year behind you and take the Module One exam in June 2018 and then the 6-week Module Two on offer at IH London in Summer 2018. I would then come back and complete Module Three during the Fall for a December 2018 submission.

That could work. My plans now prevent me from taking the intensive course somewhere over three months; no matter, I now like the idea of stretching the three modules out over the 2018 calendar year.

I am inching closer and closer to going all in and just making the commitment to completing the three Delta modules.

I bumped a reading list thread and hope to begin reading in Fall 2017:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=75756

twowheel
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Serious question. Why are you doing the DELTA?

It rarely gets you much of a pay rise. Do you really need to know what a dipthong is or a digraph? Do you ever go into linguistics with your trainees? Is it really useful to learn about debunked theories like learning styles? Does anyone really stick to a lesson plan by the minute? Is giving a lesson in a foreign language really a valid assessment?
Elicit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
Elicit wrote:

Best of luck with that, Elicit. Do let us know how it goes. I will be all ears in hearing about it, as...

twowheel

Took Dave's advice above and didn't stress. Only read some past papers and recommended answers for an hour for my preparation.

Questions were relatively easy. If you have a Tesol or Applied Linguistics MA the only thing you need to do is understand how to approach the exam tasks. It'll take more than my hour's glance at the material if you want a merit or distinction.

Incidentally, I did my Celia at IH London and had a really great course. Likely to get learners of a reasonable level in multilingual classes. If I were going to do module 2, I'd go back there to do it.
Elicit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

Serious question. Why are you doing the DELTA?

Because you thought it was a great idea to do it a while back and the knock on effect is now employers want to see it and teachers want to get it.

If you hadn't done the Dtefla or Delta, Cambridge would not have a perfect money spinner to fleece teachers with. Therefore, you now owe me £280.00 for my module one exam fee. 😄
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Thanks for the opinions.

As it turns out, EF China's Trinity diploma course is only for their teachers and not open to all, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm left with DELTA modules one and three, whilst module two will need to be put on the bucket list.

So the Module 2 part of the course requires that candidates attend a school for observed teaching practice, is that right? And this component of the DELTA is 6 weeks long, correct? And Modules 1 and 3 can be completed while the teacher is still working - i.e., the teacher can earn Modules 1 and 3 while studying independently or at distance and only involve reading and writing essays.

I teach in Asia, where would be a good place to do Module 2 of the DELTA in China or near China - e.g., Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Module 2 can also be done by distance over a longer period. You can keep working and have your regular classes observed. You will need to find an appropriate local tutor, and you will have to cover the costs of having a DELTA assessor flown in, if there isn't one in the country. If there are centers nearby running CELTAs, sometimes CELTA assessors are also DELTA assessors, and you can co-ordinate with them to use the same person and reduce your costs.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:

I teach in Asia, where would be a good place to do Module 2 of the DELTA in China or near China - e.g., Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam?

Yes to all the yes / no questions and I have heard that Thailand has module 2 courses from reading the forum. Forget the training centre. Maybe BC.

I can tell you that ILA in HCMC does the full-time eight week Delta (all modules) and maybe the module 2 six week course. I applied and was accepted but change of job / country meant I couldn't do it. From the numerous questions I posed, I learned that the course doesn't always run, becauze of the lack of candidates. The 1st time pass rate there also isn't high. Many candidates had to wait 6 months for another shot at the externally assessed lesson. Does this say something about the standard of candidate or trainer? Not so sure.
Shakey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Shakey wrote:

Yes to all the yes / no questions and I have heard that Thailand has module 2 courses from reading the forum. Forget the training centre. Maybe BC.

Thanks. Years ago, it was ECC in Bangkok and Phuket that held CELTA training courses, maybe they also do a DELTA.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Took Dave's advice above and didn't stress. Only read some past papers and recommended answers for an hour for my preparation.

Questions were relatively easy. If you have a Tesol or Applied Linguistics MA the only thing you need to do is understand how to approach the exam tasks. It'll take more than my hour's glance at the material if you want a merit or distinction.

Elicit,

Many thanks for sharing, good to hear about this. May it all work out for you.

Elicit wrote:
Incidentally, I did my Celia at IH London and had a really great course. Likely to get learners of a reasonable level in multilingual classes. If I were going to do module 2, I'd go back there to do it.

This is also good to hear. I am leaning more and more toward doing Module 2 at IH London next summer.

twowheel
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:

I was looking at IH in Bangkok. It seems that they offer an intensive Delta course twice a year--a spring offering in Bangkok and a fall offering in Chiang Mai. I do believe that they have a very nice center in Chiang Mai that is self-contained--classrooms, cafeteria, computers, sleeping, and swimming pool all in one compound (oh oh! lots of alliteration).

twowheel
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
Shakey wrote:

I was looking at IH in Bangkok. It seems that they offer an intensive Delta course twice a year--a spring offering in Bangkok and a fall offering in Chiang Mai. I do believe that they have a very nice center in Chiang Mai that is self-contained--classrooms, cafeteria, computers, sleeping, and swimming pool all in one compound (oh oh! lots of alliteration).

twowheel

I see. thanks for the info. I'm interested, but I'm not sure I can do an 8 week intensive course.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:

Many thanks for sharing, good to hear about this. May it all work out for you.

twowheel

Cheers. Gotta wait another 4 weeks for the results. 2 months is an awful long time to wait.

If I merely answered the questions but didn't incorporate the Cambridge twist, I'll do it again in December.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: