Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examiners - Required experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that by the time you have the experience to get certified, and the contacts to actually get the work, it's not such an attractive option anymore. If you've stuck around long enough to build up your reputation and you have a good network, you will have other equally lucrative options available to you.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My guess is that by the time you have the experience to get certified, and the contacts to actually get the work, it's not such an attractive option anymore. If you've stuck around long enough to build up your reputation and you have a good network, you will have other equally lucrative options available to you.

Not sure about this. IMO there aren't many (in fact, I can't think of any) p/t jobs related to TEFL that pay as well as IELTS that you can get with just two to three years' experience AND don't involve teaching or homework.
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the "other equally lucrative options" as referring to well-paid full-time jobs therefore negating the need to supplement income with part-time work. Dunno - care to elaborate HLJx2?

Unlike some, I'm not particularly interested in the money side of it, although of course I'd be lying if I said it wasn't welcome. No, for me, it's more of an opportunity to add another string to my bow. In the future, I may head to countries where the EFL market is much smaller than where I am now (Indonesia) so being an IELTS examiner would, I hope, make me more marketable. I assume that once you're an IELTS examiner, you can do it in any country, subject, of course, to a test centre's willingness to offer you work.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to get anyone's hopes up! I don't have any tips for well paid part time work. I wasn't really thinking of part time work at all. More that if you have a well paid weekday job, giving up your weekends for a few hundred dollars extra is probably a less attractive option than if you are struggling in a low paid job. So the closer you get to being able to earn those extra dollars, the less likely you are to really need them.
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
...being an IELTS examiner would, I hope, make me more marketable.

Tudor wrote:
I assume that once you're an IELTS examiner, you can do it in any country, subject, of course, to a test centre's willingness to offer you work.

True on both counts, though you should keep in mind that IELTS examiners have to recertify every two years and, depending on the centre you work for, you could be on the hook for paying for the recert. I've just recertified and our centre covered the cost, but that's because my fellow examiners and I have been with the centre for some time. If you're newly certified and didn't pay, your training centre would be quite put out if you left right afterward, but if you're almost up for recert and then start in a new place, they may not want to make the investment. There's a happy medium, I guess Wink

~smedini
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smedini wrote:
True on both counts, though you should keep in mind that IELTS examiners have to recertify every two years and, depending on the centre you work for, you could be on the hook for paying for the recert.

I've never heard of examiners having to pay to recertify. In HK examiners complain that we aren't paid to recertify!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, in the UK all types of IELTS training have to be paid for by the examiners - initial training and every certification after that. Again, this seems to depend on local conditions.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
As far as I know, in the UK all types of IELTS training have to be paid for by the examiners - initial training and every certification after that. Again, this seems to depend on local conditions.

That's interesting. Seems a bit of a cheek for IELTS to ask their examiners to pay for training. After all they're making a fortune out of it ...
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

That's interesting. Seems a bit of a cheek for IELTS to ask their examiners to pay for training. After all they're making a fortune out of it ...

But it's not IELTS that asks, it's the centres. We had this discussion on our last recert and the administrator said that it costs a centre a fair bit to recertify as the examiner trainer gets a fair chunk for doing the classes. The expense is even more, of course, if they have to bring a trainer in. Her point was that if the centre recertifies you and then you bail, that investment was for nothing and they lose because they will have paid to have you certified and still have to find and/or train another examiner to take your place.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smedini wrote:
But it's not IELTS that asks, it's the centres. We had this discussion on our last recert and the administrator said that it costs a centre a fair bit to recertify as the examiner trainer gets a fair chunk for doing the classes. The expense is even more, of course, if they have to bring a trainer in. Her point was that if the centre recertifies you and then you bail, that investment was for nothing and they lose because they will have paid to have you certified and still have to find and/or train another examiner to take your place.

Understood. Those IELTS dudes have certainly got a good rap going. They come up with a good idea and delegate all the shitty stuff to the test centres and the examiners. Meanwhile, on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean ...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, as far as my limited knowledge goes, the general rule of thumb seems to be that if IELTS pays examiners a fairly decent rate, then they have to pay for the training. If the rate is abysmal, then you get the training for free, ura! (The observant amongst us will see that this difference is usually a case of swings and roundabouts, unless you do a lot of IELTS examining at a high rate of pay...)
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Again, as far as my limited knowledge goes, the general rule of thumb seems to be that if IELTS pays examiners a fairly decent rate, then they have to pay for the training. If the rate is abysmal, then you get the training for free, ura!

A good supposition, and it may well often be true, but HK does not fit this pattern. Here the IELTS training is free, but the examiners are also well paid. This may have something to do with the fact that HK is rather an expensive place to live.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite surpised when halfvway through our training in Manama in Bahrain, we were told that we had to pay a fee. Seemed a bit tight to me. As I later came to learn MON EY is at the centre of ther whole operation ! i am pleased to be out of it, although I did get some kudos from my positiuon as an IELTS Examiner.

(The fee in Bahrain was, I think, 30 Bahraini Dinars or US$80 for Speaking - and the same for Writing.)

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
smedini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
Again, as far as my limited knowledge goes, the general rule of thumb seems to be that if IELTS pays examiners a fairly decent rate, then they have to pay for the training. If the rate is abysmal, then you get the training for free, ura!

A good supposition, and it may well often be true, but HK does not fit this pattern. Here the IELTS training is free, but the examiners are also well paid. This may have something to do with the fact that HK is rather an expensive place to live.

Same here...we get paid fairly well and the training/recerts were free. When we first trained, we did give them a deposit of a few hundred dollars, but that was returned after we'd done 6 or 8 tests, so the centre felt that we'd at least stayed around that long. I think it's a good gig Smile

~smedini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: