Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go on a tourist visa, get a work visa in Japan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PointedAndPent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Go on a tourist visa, get a work visa in Japan? Reply with quote

Hey,

I didn't think this was possible... but now it is?

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0507/teaching_english_in_japan_how_to_get_started.shtml

"A few years ago it was only possible to receive a work visa outside of Japan, but this has changed. You can now go to Japan on a 90-day tourist visa, find a job and a company to sponsor you, and get everything processed within Japan. (Most consulates will not admit that this is possible because they don't want to encourage the practice.) You can't work legally until you get your visa, but many companies will pay you under the table until your visa is issued."

Anyone have experience with that?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Go on a tourist visa, get a work visa in Japan? Reply with quote

The search function is your friend.

If you're just wanting someone to say "yes" then "yes", it's been possible for, ohh, heading towards a decade now.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 90 day thing but why would you want to get a work visa after coming to JP? Wouldn't you feel more secure coming with visa-in-hand?
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Go on a tourist visa, get a work visa in Japan? Reply with quote

PointedAndPent wrote:
Hey,

I didn't think this was possible... but now it is?

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0507/teaching_english_in_japan_how_to_get_started.shtml

"A few years ago it was only possible to receive a work visa outside of Japan, but this has changed. You can now go to Japan on a 90-day tourist visa, find a job and a company to sponsor you, and get everything processed within Japan. (Most consulates will not admit that this is possible because they don't want to encourage the practice.) You can't work legally until you get your visa, but many companies will pay you under the table until your visa is issued."

Anyone have experience with that?
Yes, it's possible. That's exactly what I did.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
I don't know about the 90 day thing but why would you want to get a work visa after coming to JP? Wouldn't you feel more secure coming with visa-in-hand?

Because it's a lot easier to get a job from within the country, especially nowadays with the bankruptcy of the big 2 eikaiwas who used to provide the bulk of the visas that people then used to go on to something else. If you time it right it's not that much of a risk, and even if you don't have everything processed within three months you can just nip over to Korea or China for the weekend and get another 3 month visa when you come back in.
ALX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:

Because it's a lot easier to get a job from within the country, especially nowadays with the bankruptcy of the big 2 eikaiwas who used to provide the bulk of the visas that people then used to go on to something else. If you time it right it's not that much of a risk, and even if you don't have everything processed within three months you can just nip over to Korea or China for the weekend and get another 3 month visa when you come back in.

Haven't you heard? One of them is back and hiring like mad.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALX wrote:
hagiwaramai wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:

Haven't you heard? One of them is back and hiring like mad.

Nothing like it was before.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:

Because it's a lot easier to get a job from within the country, especially nowadays with the bankruptcy of the big 2 eikaiwas
Really? Easier? Most people would probably tell you just the opposite because there are far more people looking nowadays and fewer jobs available. Just because those companies went bankrupt, that doesn't mean they are gone. They aren't, just downsized a bit.

Quote:
even if you don't have everything processed within three months you can just nip over to Korea or China for the weekend and get another 3 month visa when you come back in.
#1, you don't get a 3-month visa. It's a visa waiver.

#2, you are being far too optimistic about being able to get that second 90-day period. Immigration may not allow it, especially if you just finished 90 days here.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
hagiwaramai wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:

Because it's a lot easier to get a job from within the country, especially nowadays with the bankruptcy of the big 2 eikaiwas
Really? Easier? Most people would probably tell you just the opposite because there are far more people looking nowadays and fewer jobs available. Just because those companies went bankrupt, that doesn't mean they are gone. They aren't, just downsized a bit.

Quote:
even if you don't have everything processed within three months you can just nip over to Korea or China for the weekend and get another 3 month visa when you come back in.
#1, you don't get a 3-month visa. It's a visa waiver.

#2, you are being far too optimistic about being able to get that second 90-day period. Immigration may not allow it, especially if you just finished 90 days here.

It's relative to getting a job from outside the country though. I can't see how it wouldn't be better to be here than not here. Of course there's the risk that you might not get one in that 3 month period but that isn't the point. I agree it's not termed a visa but to all intents and purposes it is, they both give you a right to stay here for a certain period, anyway I agree there is the risk you won't get it but I have never heard of anyone coming in for a tourist visa getting turned away. And as for finding a job a friend of mine was job-hunting from in Japan in April and had job offers pouring out of his ears, in the Tokyo/Chiba area. Of course that was the best time and the best area, but as I said, if you time it right, and the great majority of people are indeed in the greater Kanto area.
ALX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, get your work visa before coming. Take your time and play it safe. Japan's not going aywhere.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
It's relative to getting a job from outside the country though. I can't see how it wouldn't be better to be here than not here.
The answer to that is simple:

1) As I already explained, if you are here in Japan, you are available for those employers who want to deal ONLY with people that are in Japan. (That doesn't mean they will always deal with everyone in Japan. Some will explicitly say something like "only with people with valid visas". But, in general if you are here you open yourself up to more opportunities.

2) Not everyone interviews candidates outside Japan, even with Skype available nowadays. In fact, MOST employers don't interview outside Japan. They either can't afford it, or they don't want to use Skype (or don't know how).

Quote:
Of course there's the risk that you might not get one in that 3 month period but that isn't the point.
Yes, there is no guarantee that you'll get a job in the 3 months you are here. But as I just explained, the odds are in your favor.

Now, does that still make it easier or better? Not necessarily. It will cost you to stay here and job hunt, and that can be expensive.

Quote:
And as for finding a job a friend of mine was job-hunting from in Japan in April and had job offers pouring out of his ears, in the Tokyo/Chiba area. Of course that was the best time and the best area, but as I said, if you time it right, and the great majority of people are indeed in the greater Kanto area.
Yes, focusing on market locations like that are an advantage, despite the great numbers of competing applicants. But, I wish you had described more about your friend, because now a lot of people will read this and think they will have the same experience. Misleading.

And, no, April is not the best time of year. April is when the jobs actually start. Hiring takes place earlier.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
hagiwaramai wrote:
It's relative to getting a job from outside the country though. I can't see how it wouldn't be better to be here than not here.
The answer to that is simple:

1) As I already explained, if you are here in Japan, you are available for those employers who want to deal ONLY with people that are in Japan. (That doesn't mean they will always deal with everyone in Japan. Some will explicitly say something like "only with people with valid visas". But, in general if you are here you open yourself up to more opportunities.

2) Not everyone interviews candidates outside Japan, even with Skype available nowadays. In fact, MOST employers don't interview outside Japan. They either can't afford it, or they don't want to use Skype (or don't know how).

Quote:
Of course there's the risk that you might not get one in that 3 month period but that isn't the point.
Yes, there is no guarantee that you'll get a job in the 3 months you are here. But as I just explained, the odds are in your favor.

Now, does that still make it easier or better? Not necessarily. It will cost you to stay here and job hunt, and that can be expensive.

Quote:
And as for finding a job a friend of mine was job-hunting from in Japan in April and had job offers pouring out of his ears, in the Tokyo/Chiba area. Of course that was the best time and the best area, but as I said, if you time it right, and the great majority of people are indeed in the greater Kanto area.
Yes, focusing on market locations like that are an advantage, despite the great numbers of competing applicants. But, I wish you had described more about your friend, because now a lot of people will read this and think they will have the same experience. Misleading.

And, no, April is not the best time of year. April is when the jobs actually start. Hiring takes place earlier.

I'm a bit confused which side you're arguing for here. Perhaps my double negative (I can't see how it wouldn't be better to be here than not here) was confusing but your first two numbered points support exactly what I was saying, that it's better to be in the country than out, which you then seemed to argue both for and against. You're being too objective!

You said "As I already explained.." when I'm not sure where you explained that before.. I'd said it was "easier to get a job from within the country" and you said "Most people would probably tell you just the opposite" so if anything it was me who had already said being in Japan was better, not you. There is no prior mention from you in this thread of how being in Japan means you're available for those employers who only want to deal with those people in Japan. I'm not trying to pick holes, I'm just really confused by what you wrote. You seem to be attributing things I said to yourself and vice versa.

You are right about April not being exactly the best time, although you'd be surprised by how many companies were still contacting him that month. They might be trying to get people in for April starts but a lot of the time they don't manage it. I have to say though I'm always interested in any part-time jobs going so I check Oyaho Sensei every issue and I don't really notice much difference month by month in terms of number of jobs on offer, although a more detailed analysis would be useful.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:

Well in my case, I had a job offer, but I wanted to come to Japan a month before I started work, so coming on a tourist visa and then changing to a work visa suited me perfectly.

It was also much quicker, easier and cheaper for me to do do the visa processing in Japan than in the UK.
ALX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pitarou"]
Alex_Ander wrote:

It was also much quicker, easier and cheaper for me to do do the visa processing in Japan than in the UK.

Really? In the US, it took me 2 days and 0$ after I got my CoE.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ALX"]
Pitarou wrote:

If I'd done it in the UK, I'd have had to wait for them to send the Certificate of Eligibility to the UK, and then take the CoE myself to the Japanese Embassy in London. It turned out to be quicker, easier and cheaper for me to collect the CoE from their head office in Japan, and then take it to Chiba Immigration Office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: