Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any teaching job "better" than a university?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux... I have pretty much everything on your list. Many FTs in China have similar situations at other universities.

1. 14 teaching hours. No office hours. 2. Under 8000 (alas) but over 6000, and I get paid for 11 months, 12 if I sign up again. 3. Comfy 2 bedroom apartment, not shared. Three minutes to most classes, some five minutes. 4.Month of Spring Festival off. 1 1/2 to 2 months off in summer. National holidays and festivals off throughout the year. 5. I teach English majors who are all 18 or over. Class size, 14-32. Two courses, Reading and Oral English. 6. I'm in a smaller city (only by China standards). Metro for shopping and lots of restaurants. 7. The pollution isn't bad here in Fujian. 8. On the coast.

Teaching is fun. Stress is low. I'm not saving for retirement... that's all set. I'm over 60, career advancement is not an issue for me. This is a great job for me.

ecubyrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
However, like many have said, working a normal 9-5 teaching all hours is just impossible here, and if I commuted 30 or 40 minutes [plus waiting for a taxi time], 5 days a week, I would be sick, I'm sure, although yes, I'd be about 20000 a month better off.

One thing I realized here was that, after a while, the offers of a job were more and more, and unfortunately in my second year I put greed first, kept thinking 'damn I can make 24,000 this month!' , but after working 10-9 most days, I ended up in hospital, the lack of sleep and 'me' time took it's toll.

I work a normal 9-5 40 hour week, and I would agree that if I was teaching constantly during those hours I would be burned out. My teaching hours are 14 per week with the rest of the time used for prepping, marking, breaks/lunch, browsing the internet, etc...Our school calendar year is roughly 190 days; the rest is paid time off at normal salary.

I commute 30-40 minutes each way per day that adds to my total commited to work. I don't find that as a negative, however, as I cycle to work and get my daily exercise during that time.

Overall, I'm quite content and think that "Damn, I make 24,000 a month!" every month, which is pretty much near what I would be making back home in the ps system with my experience. The big difference is what I can put away in savings each month here compared to there.

Everyone has different criteria for what makes one happy. I'm happy for now.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:

Think package.

I'm happy with the size of my package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: