Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Grading Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinatimes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: College Grading Help Reply with quote

I have neglected doing "necessary" paperwork ever since I was a teenage camp counselor. We were supposed to write reports, and at language/public schools I have never had to give grades until now.

I am at a college. I have 2 senior classes in college. Class 1 is independent, makes decisions fast, and moves on. Class 2 likes to spend 20 minutes discussing yes and no questions. Then one student will add something to the class to extend the conversation 10 more minutes.

They are taking an eight week class (7 because of the holiday). I must give them a final next week. The problem is that 1 student cannot come, 2 students are doing internships, 3 students haven't come to class but agree to do extra work on Monday, and 1 student already agreed to do extra work but she didn't even come to class today to give her presentation.

So, I was kinda upset about this. If I let her do extra work later, then the other students could do the same and the class would never end. So, I simply told the class today, "If you see her, you can tell her she doesn't need to come to class anymore."

A couple people's mouths opened in surprise, and then we moved on (class 1). I didn't feel content failing her without talking with the school first. I explained the situation and was told, "Oh, well she can take a make up test next year when the semester starts."

SAY WHAT????

Why would people want to do anything if they can extend a make up test 2-4 months? It was a completely bizarre notion.

Then, it was explained that the highest score the student would get would be 60%. Also, it was mentioned it was my responsibility to give this make up test. I still find this ludicrous, but the 60% penalty gives it enough merit I guess. Underachievers will still win though. Oh well.

So, right now, I am faced with a decision. Should I let this person take the final or should I make her take the final later? There is another student who can't come next week and I will give her a completely different final exam. I am thinking I can give that also to this student who I already gave a chance to. I just don't know if she will show up for class next week thinking she can take the final.

Should I forget it and just let her take the final?
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do understand that Chinese unis are degree mills, right? No one ever really fails a class or has to retake anything. So of course if you try to fail a student, you're going to have to give them a makeup test.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be really strict about attending classes and grading.

if a student didn't come to class or missed too many classes chances are they would fail. passing was 60 in my last uni. I gave one student a grade of 59.9 on his midterm. he got laughed at by the rest of the class. ( he pissed me off a few times.)

At the current school here was a recent conversation with the DOS of my program:
KFM please change these 2 students grades from fail to pass.
Me- umm ok boss.
Also please increase these two students grades by 10 points.
Me - umm ok boss.
Anything else to discuss boss? No? Ok see you later.

Why buck the system????? Just roll with it.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No one ever really fails a class or has to retake anything

Exactly. The students know this, too. I booted a student from a class and gave him a final grade of zero. English Major. He got his diploma.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many colleges advertise a 99% graduation rate.
there's a reason for this.

last year i failed a student twice. fall semester he showed up
to two classes, spring semester once.

i was surprised to see him at the class graduation party, happy
and smiling.

the other students told me he paid the head teacher one year's
tuition in order to graduate.

(how do i get in on the action?)
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the other students told me he paid the head teacher one year's
tuition in order to graduate.

Yep. This is why the department leaders and other assorted bureaucrats all have nice cars.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I have a nice Cutish e bike and a nice Giant bike
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point OP makes about record keeping is a good one.
BUT it's worthwhile, if, at the end of semester you've got grades to award, and you have something to go on.
I have found this particularly so when teaching oral English which is so transitory and subjective.
I have developed a student record slip which I print 3-up on an A4 page.
Gets me through say 6xin-class listenings plus say 2xformal assessments - one being final.
Happy to let anyone have it for use.
PM me
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general rule is, if I don't recognize the student, they can't take my final exam.

It works.

I had about 10 students turn up for the final exam [wow, I really had 60 students in my class, but normally only about 50 turn up], and I just didn't know they were even my student's, so refused to allow them to take part.

They then had to explain why they didn't have a signed piece of paper with a score to the English department boss, but I'm sure they found excuses, plus perhaps handed some envelopes over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: