Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entry to Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Entry to Japan Reply with quote

If you get the visa exemption to be allowed into Japan for 90 days, will Japanese immigration want to see a return ticket, proof of funds, or both?
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your airline will most likely ask for proof of an onward journey on check-in.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't get away with a one-way ticket and proof of adequate funds for your stay/ departure??

What happens if you're a tourist and not sure where you want to fly on to after your stay in Japan and you want to decide while you are there (during the 90/ 180 day stint)?
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
You wouldn't get away with a one-way ticket and proof of adequate funds for your stay/ departure??
If you come without a visa, the answer is usually no. Airlines would have to pay a hefty fine, so they guard against that. It doesn't matter if you show you have a bucket of money.

Quote:
What happens if you're a tourist and not sure where you want to fly on to after your stay in Japan and you want to decide while you are there (during the 90/ 180 day stint)?
Without trying to sound too insensitive here, that's your tough luck. Get an open round-trip ticket, or buy a ferry ticket to Korea, so you can show you are indeed what your visa status shows: you are a tourist.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2233708
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2159889
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski,

Do you only need to show Japanese immigration a ticket out of Japan? Because to enter Korea without a visa you need an onward ticket out of Korea and possibly Japan immigration would be aware of this.

Is it possible to get a return flight ticket through someone like AirAsia and then get the return portion refunded after getting into Japan?
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably have to pay full price on Air Asia to be able to get a refund or a hefty fee to change your booking.

I booked a ticket on the ferry to Busan and they were fine with that. Got a refund on the ferry ticket when I got to Japan - they charge like 100 yen fee and you have to wait about 3-4 weeks for it to be credited back to your card.

It's your airline that does the checking, not immigration. They don't care about what you do when you leave Japan, just that you have a ticket out there.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathrynoh wrote:
You'd probably have to pay full price on Air Asia to be able to get a refund or a hefty fee to change your booking.

I booked a ticket on the ferry to Busan and they were fine with that. Got a refund on the ferry ticket when I got to Japan - they charge like 100 yen fee and you have to wait about 3-4 weeks for it to be credited back to your card.

It's your airline that does the checking, not immigration. They don't care about what you do when you leave Japan, just that you have a ticket out there.

Thanks.

Can you send me details of the ferry firm?
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have them but just google Fukuoka-Busan ferry. You can book online with a credit card then print out the confirmation.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way of booking a ticket online in English that I can see and I have scoured the web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: