Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye, Bye, Saudi Arabian Pie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about terrorist attacks in the Kingdom?
They'll increase in frequency and magnitude.
82%
 82%  [ 14 ]
The situation will stay about the same as it is now.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The worst is probably over.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ask me later. My airport taxi's waiting.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Bye, Bye, Saudi Arabian Pie? Reply with quote

Well, here's a news flash - the US embassy says it can't protect USA citizens in the Kingdom. Who'd a thunk it?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20040503/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_attack

But seriously, all you guys and gals back there - what do you think? Is it just going to keep on getting worse?
Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bye, Bye, Saudi Arabian Pie? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

But seriously, all you guys and gals back there - what do you think? Is it just going to keep on getting worse?

I'm not "back there," but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

Of course it will continue. This is something that has long been brewing. I think it is basically an economic struggle, not a religious or political one, but when economics makes people unhappy they become politicized; when politics do not accommodate them, they become alienated. The Al-Saud have to give an inch; who thinks they are wise enough to do so?

I think this will get much worse before it gets better, and Uncle Sam will get both eyes blackened as he tries to keep the oil flowing (for the benefit of ALL industrial economies, not just for the sake of the U.S.A., my dear European friends).

I'll bet there are lots and lots of reasonable, law-abiding Saudis who are going to become less reasonable as the continued violence and resultant damage to the powers that be encourages them.

We shoulda gone solar.
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said all along that things here will get worse and unfortunately I have been right.
I don't know how bad things will get but it will take very little for most of the western expats in the eastern province to pack their bags and be on their way.
I feel it is just a matter of time before something happens here as to most i have spoken to.
Now if you look at the Yanbu situation you can see that a horde of expats left after the incident there so it would seem that it was a victory for the terrorists.
If we use this as an example it would encourage other terrorists to do likewise in other areas of Saudi.
One of the platforms of Al Queda is to get rid of all westerners/infidels from the Kingdom.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,

I normally like your posts, so I couldn't work out if you were being sarcastic or not when you said:

"Uncle Sam will get both eyes blackened as he tries to keep the oil flowing (for the benefit of ALL industrial economies, not just for the sake of the U.S.A., my dear European friends). "

Umm... in the first place I never knew the oil was NOT flowing -the US invasion of Iraq is, if anything, going to threathen the OPEC sheikhdoms who have been hand in glove with the US over the past several decades, and have indeed kept that oil flowin' very smoothly.

Secondly, I didn't know the US was the world's "oil policeman" - surely it'\s up to the countries whjo own the oil to decide how precisely it is going to flow?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that I buy this thing about Bush and his cronies sending the military here for the oil.

I subscribe to the f*c**p theory of History.

It happened becasue we have a gang of very stupid people in power in Washington. I mean what would Clausewitz say about a military operation where the goal was not clear ?

How will the White House know when they have achieved their goals in Iraq if their goals are poorly formulated ?
ohman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any happen to know what an EFL teacher on Pitcairn Island makes?
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:

Secondly, I didn't know the US was the world's "oil policeman" - surely it'\s up to the countries whjo own the oil to decide how precisely it is going to flow?

Cleopatra, careful girl! You've been around long enough to know that how that oil flows is 'Allah's Will' masha'Allah Wink
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Patra,

Cleopatra wrote:

Umm... in the first place I never knew the oil was NOT flowing -the US invasion of Iraq is, if anything, going to threathen the OPEC sheikhdoms who have been hand in glove with the US over the past several decades, and have indeed kept that oil flowin' very smoothly.

Permit me to clarify: When I refer to keeping the oil flowing, I am not implying that the oil is not flowing. On the contrary, I am suggesting that the oil is, indeed, as you have divined, flowing. So, I don't believe we are in disagreement over the fundamental and very germane question of whether the oil is or is not flowing.

Now, for a little background: There are some who fear that the oil may stop flowing (that is, that its flow may be interrupted or impeded) due to the work of individuals who are intent on crippling both the Al-Saud and the so-called 'West" (which includes large portions of the so-called "East"). Some of those who are thus fearful have concerned themselves with keeping the oil flowing (as it is now flowing).

As to the effect that the invasion of Iraq will have, I am not a greatly practiced or successful prognosticator, so I will not challenge your judgement on this matter.

Cleopatra wrote:

Is it? I will not challenge your judgement in this matter, either. You do make a strong point. After all, the oil-pumping countries had the wisdom and the know-how to develop their resources and bring them to market with no help from outsiders, particularly from the U.S.A.; I suppose we can trust them, as always, to continue to do the right thing.

Smile Smile Just kidding!

Nice to hear from you,

BD
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Ohman is no island Reply with quote

Dear ohman,

Well, you can e-mail and ask:

[email protected]

But, considering that English is the official language and that there are only 47 people in residence (at last count: Population: 47 - July 2001 est.), I'd say the chances of getting an EFL job there aren't too good:

http://www.eteach.com/travel/world/cia/geos/info.asp?country=pc

Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I am not sure that I buy this thing about Bush and his cronies sending the military here for the oil.

I don't either, entirely, but I think that it was a factor. They certainly didn't plan to *steal* it, as some slow-witted types insist. It's much cheaper to buy it.

*I* think (as long as we're passing around the soapbox) that the neo-cons were simply fed up with Saddam's antics vis-a-vis his neighbors (Q8, Israel, Iran) and that those antics represented, at least in theory, a real threat to the world economy. Factor in 9/11, and the opportunity to flex some muscle in Iraq --"Whose a** can we kick so everybody will know that we're real dangerous hombres and they shouldn't mess with us?"-- became irresistible. It's a shame that the U.S. was so ill-prepared for the aftermath of war, because that's what sank the entire production.
scot47 wrote:

I subscribe to the f*c**p theory of History.

So do I, Mr. 47, one hundred percent. The road to hell and all of that...

scot47 wrote:

It happened becasue we have a gang of very stupid people in power in Washington.I mean what would Clausewitz say about a military operation where the goal was not clear ?

"We"? Mr. 47, surely you don't think of yourself as a part of the great Satan - ?

scot47 wrote:

How will the White House know when they have achieved their goals in Iraq if their goals are poorly formulated ?

Precisely. Collectively, they simply don't know what they're doing, or even what they're trying to do.

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohman is no island Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

http://www.eteach.com/travel/world/cia/geos/info.asp?country=pc

Thank you for the link, Mr. Slat.

Sounds like a delightful place, doesn't it?

"Industries: postage stamps, handicrafts"

There's a bright future in postage stamps, I'm told.

"Exports - commodities: fruits, vegetables, curios, stamps"

Why, they're already selling those stamps by the fistful. And curios! My God, everyone needs curios!

BD
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actyually about a dozen of them, which is nearly 25% pf the population are being prosecuted on dhild abuse charges, so you may end up having to give class in a New Zealand jail cell.
ohman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link John. Sounds like the place for me. Anybody want in on a buy out? I'll go halves.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Saturday's child Reply with quote

Dear Stephen Jones,
Wow - about 1/4 of the population. Considering that the kids themselves must constitute about a 1/4, at least, that's more like 1/3 of the adults, isn't it (math was never my strong point)? And what makes it even more incredible is that no Roman Catholic priests were involved, since the island is (according to that web page) 100% Seventh Day Adventist.
Dear ohman,
Hey, you'll probably love it - teaching in a jail cell, that is. I've taught in penitentaries and the "students"were a lot better than your average junior high school class. Besides, your being a Saudi vet means being in a prison (though admittedly a much larger one) is old hat for you. Moreover, you're probably old enough not to incite any lustful advances (in my case, I'm TOO old to incite any).
Regards,
John
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,

Of course, the main reason the Al Saud are hated by those who "would stop the flow of oil" is precisely because they are too close to the West. Therefore, it is the over-presence of "Western" countries in the MIddle EAst - not the opposite - which is contributing to instability there. And, the invasion of Iraq can only make matters worse, possibly much worse.

"After all, the oil-pumping countries had the wisdom and the know-how to develop their resources and bring them to market with no help from outsiders, particularly from the U.S.A.; I suppose we can trust them, as always, to continue to do the right thing. "

Well, don't you think those companies - the name Halliburton comes to mind -were adequately renumerated for their services? I hardly think it is their job to dictate oil policy to soverign states, even if that is what they may well do. And, as to "trusting countries to continue to do the right thing", well, it's their oil under their sand, is it not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: